Shift Indicator

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bradrcfii

Shift Indicator

Post by bradrcfii »

I found setting to turn on the shift indicator but have not seen it.  What should I be looking for?

Not that I really need it, just curious.
bieffe
Bike Model and Year: bmw 1200 rt 2007
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

Re: Shift Indicator

Post by bieffe »

Depends on which bike do you own, on my RT 1200 07, is probably what is attached below.
Attachments
Gear indicator.JPG
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Look in your handbook it shows you what appears on the dash as you accelerate.  Most of us don't bother with it as it comes in at quite low revs.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Loads of people asking how to turn it off but this is the first request to turn it on!

:eggs:
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

bieffe wrote: Depends on which bike do you own, on my RT 1200 07, is probably what is attached below.
The shift indicator was introduced on the 2014 water cooled RT's  ;)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

richardbd wrote: Loads of people asking how to turn it off but this is the first request to turn it on!
:eggs:
Ooeer!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There are some really smart things on the LC, Pro shift for one.  The gear change indicator isn't one of them.
Noel

Post by Noel »

bradrcfii wrote: I found setting to turn on the shift indicator but have not seen it.  What should I be looking for?

Not that I really need it, just curious.

It was on when the bike was delivered, I turned it off after a few hundred miles finding myself wanting to rev each gear higher than it was suggesting to shift at, and now at 12K miles when I'm not pushing it I find myself shifting right about where the indicator suggested shifting--I think it's an rpm to shift at if you're not in a hurry, want the least engine wear and best fuel economy.  It taught me to shift much earlier than I might have otherwise but it took nearly 12K miles to figure that out.  When racing thru the twisties or otherwise in a hurry I use a broad range of rpm but as I say for just getting around it's fine and low tension.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Makes you wonder if BMW think most of their customers are old doddering gits, which could just be true for some of us.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

think it is more aimed at economy than performance...  :-) Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You can ride along in quite a high gear in a leasurely manner and if you look at your instant mpg then change down nearly always you consumption will go down.  Something to do with not working too harder labouring. So for me it's a mystery why it's there. probably a throw over from the cars when they borrowed keyless and central locking. I remember someone here who had put something on his bike that I couldn't understand why answered "because I could" .  Maybe that's why.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Perhaps I could do with a shift indicator on mine - I've hit the rev limiter a few times, when trying to get the ponderous old girl down the road!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Well that's why it's worthless. It works at the other end of the scale probably telling you it might not stall if you change up.
I once remember an owner telling us his misfired in 1st to 4th all the time.  Also the rev limiter.  Probably not the ideal way to make progress on an RT.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Sullivj wrote: I've hit the rev limiter a few times...

:)) :))
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Dreaming and forgetting your still in first?