OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

Post by richardbd »

Much as I love my (very fast, Callisto Grey) RTLC, I'm getting a bot bored of pushing its weight around the garage.

My PCP deal ends at the end of summer and I'm sorely tempted to switch to either a GS (unimaginative I know) or an XR.

What does the collective think?
guest2360

Re: OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

Post by guest2360 »

XR will kill off any nerve endings you have left in your hands and feet.  The GS , hasn't everybody got one of those. But variety is the spice of life is it not.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I traded my 2011 TC RT for a 1200gs triple black last month. I tried the RT WC, a fine bike, but as you say a lump and, for me, the GS wins on handling.
I really didn't want a GS, it's like a CBR600 of the 90's, every t@#t has one. But they are popular for very good reason. As long as you don't go for the metal panniers and knobbly tyres you should avoid the scorn of other bikers ;-) .
If you like the RT engine, then the GS won't disappoint. The XR obviously is a lot quicker.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: XR will kill off any nerve endings you have left in your hands and feet.  The GS , hasn't everybody got one of those. But variety is the spice of life is it not.

I'm told that the XR vibe thing has been largely cured in later bikes by the extraordinarily complex and hi-tech solution of heavier bar-end weights.

It's true about everybody's got a GS and that's what's always stopped me but every time I've hired one overseas, I've loved it and now with the LC engine and the heavier flywheel from the RT, it has to be a cracker...
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

fatnfast wrote: I really didn't want a GS, it's like a CBR600 of the 90's, every t@#t has one. But they are popular for very good reason. As long as you don't go for the metal panniers and knobbly tyres you should avoid the scorn of other bikers ;-) .

I wouldn't go for the full t@#t suit either!

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Heavier bar end weights ah.  Sounds like Sales Executive talk as I can see no part number change for the weights. 
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Heavier bar end weights ah.  Sounds like Sales Executive talk as I can see no part number change for the weights.

Maybe not but I bet you can't see a change for the dodgy bolt that used to hold our rear suspension together either...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Some facts.  Don't like the GS because my legs are too short to own one.  Bit that was replaced on the rear shock was in fact an internal bar that connected the perfectly good shock to the box that controls the active function, so the  Sales Executive told me who was selling Fords the day before. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

If their was ever a bike to trade my RTLC on it would be a new GS though I would miss all the extras the RT has, namely a radio and weather protection
Jim
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

I just don't get the GS thing. I mean, they are hugely popular but they are SO ugly they are down fugly! Thankfully, since I'm not 6'2", I can't even get on one without a step-stool so I guess I'll never have to worry about test riding one. Also, I never want to ride off road or even on crappy roads. Another reason I guess the GS is not for me!
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I've never ridden a gs. In fact, the only beemer I rode other than my '11 rt was a loaner 800 gt. I would have loved to spend more time on that bike. Pretty pedestrian performance but it felt like a solid, no surprises do it all machine. I have no need for a gs as I ride mx bikes when I want to twist the throttle and hit jumps and rail turns. Having said that, I'd love to have a gs in the garage if I could afford one. On these hot summer days I could appreciate less fairing and windscreen though. I can't knock'm though. To me the gs is sexy.
timminator

Post by timminator »

I remember watching this video while I was shopping for the RT, "10 things I hate about the GS" from a GS owner.  But honestly, I think a few of the items on his list could also be said about the RT, or many BMW bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRU9zcJuOvg

Last edited by timminator on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I've never owned a GS, but I know people who have them and I have ridden them.

What puts me off mainly is that everyone has one, and they are ugly.

If you are looking at an "adventure" bike I would look at a used "new style" Africa Twin, or maybe a Crosstourer
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

if it's just the weight of the RT  that's getting too much for you in tour Autumn years, why not try the RS.  At least its not a revamped design going back to 2004 and they go like stink, apparently.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Methos1979 wrote: I just don't get the GS thing. I mean, they are hugely popular but they are SO ugly they are down fugly!

True - I don't think anybody ever bought a GS for its looks!