OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
fatnfast

Re: OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

Post by fatnfast »

richardbd wrote: True - I don't think anybody ever bought a GS for its looks!
That's true of the older ones, but I quite like the look of the LC's.
When I bought my 1150gs (pre charlie and McGregor) they were not a common site. Kids would stare and point, it had that Tonka Toy look. Yes, ugly, but also different, which I like. Then post LWR/LWD everybody started buying them and a generation of born again, BMW clothing branded arrogant riders suddenly appeared (you only have to look on UKGSer to find them)  ;) . It put me off for a long time and I switched to RT''s (but still kept my 1150).
The 2005-2013 1200RT looks classy. The RT LC, to me, looks ugly, especially side on, and although that may be a shallow reason for not buying one, I need to like the way a bike looks as well as rides.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

The 2020 RT is due to have a lock for the Nav7 and a radical gearbox that goes from neutral to first at rest, without a sound!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The 2020 RT is due to have a lock for the Nav7 and a radical gearbox that goes from neutral to first at rest, without a sound!

It's never going to happen.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

blokeonthemove wrote: The 2020 RT is due to have a lock for the Nav7 and a radical gearbox that goes from neutral to first at rest, without a sound!
AND it will have the M4x10 threads that hold the end caps on the lower pannier mounting subframe Loctite'd at the factory before shipment!
2016 San Marino Blue
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

octatonic wrote: OP: What is your use?
For long distance touring the XR is a tricky proposition.
It is a riot of a bike but not comfy enough for days on end in the saddle- at least it wasn't for me.

I only have room for one bike, so it has to do a bit of everything.  I do a mix of riding:

- a weekly 70 mile each-way commute
- weekend/evening fun rides, say 50-75 miles
- IAM observing
- weekend tours (say 250 miles a day for 3 days)

I also do an annual long-distance tour.  If it's in Europe, I'll use my own bike.  Further afield (have done Alaska, Iceland, Africa) I have/would hire - usually a GS!

Before the RT I had a Multistrada and before that a Stelvio.  Love the RT but it's just so heavy to lug around...
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Triumph Tiger 800?

Triumph Tiger 1050?

BMW F800GS?

New style Africa Twin?

Honda Crosstourer?

Honda Crossrunner?

Older Honda VFR800?

Yamaha XTZ1200? (that might be too heavy/cumbersome though)

fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

richardbd wrote: I only have room for one bike, so it has to do a bit of everything. I do a mix of riding:
- a weekly 70 mile each-way commute
- weekend/evening fun rides, say 50-75 miles
- IAM observing
- weekend tours (say 250 miles a day for 3 days)
I also do an annual long-distance tour. If it's in Europe, I'll use my own bike. Further afield (have done Alaska, Iceland, Africa) I have/would hire - usually a GS!
Before the RT I had a Multistrada and before that a Stelvio. Love the RT but it's just so heavy to lug around...
Your riding  requirements pretty much mirrors mine and I am really enjoying the GS LC. The only thing I miss is the excellent fairing of the RT in winter, but with global warming we will soon be basking in 20 degree winters.
As I said before, the biggest hurdle is buying a common bike and the perceived image that it generates, but they are bloody good and a bit easier to move about.
The ideal solution for me would be to have a winter RT as well I guess, is this something you could maybe do?
My GS is a 2016, and previous complaints about the gearbox are not an issue on mine. A clunk into first (same as most bikes I have owned) and that's it. They all now have more corrosion resilient black engines and final drives as well.
Having said all that I would agree with ds99 about the Triumphs as a really good alternative as well.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

ds99 wrote:
Triumph Tiger 800?  possible but nearly as ugly as a GS!

Triumph Tiger 1050?  good value but value not a particularly important purchasing criterion

BMW F800GS?  terrible engine

New style Africa Twin?  possible

Honda Crosstourer?  Would rather have VFR1200 - Crosstourer too fat and heavy.  Image problem too!

Honda Crossrunner?  Image problem in spades...

Older Honda VFR800?  New one on the list...

Yamaha XTZ1200? (that might be too heavy/cumbersome though)  Worth a try - owners seem to love them...
Noel

Post by Noel »

richardbd wrote: Much as I love my (very fast, Callisto Grey) RTLC, I'm getting a bot bored of pushing its weight around the garage.

Well, you're only supposed to push its weight around in the garage until it's out of the garage, then the engine takes over  ^-^

I'll take the fabulous electronic wind management any day, RT is easier to get off of an back on again than GS was for me w/ my 63 y/o diabetic hips, and seriously, isn't the heavier weight truly something that only comes into play when you're parking or taking off?  I find RT handles fabulously in the twisties, though fully loaded you feel the added weight.  I ride one-up, just got back from a trip of nearly 10K miles and found RTLC absolutely stellar as a Sport Tourer, 60% Tour, but serious Sport especially when the side cases come off.  I had about 65lbs added weight for my trip.  I use the full range of the electric screen every time out, and coming from F800GT find cornering/handling superior by a considerable margin, and F800GT weighs in at 470lbs wet.  Even ultra low speed handling is comparable now w/ F800GT, however my skills have improved a little so offsets the weight difference.

I think some folks just get bored, or put another way want the newness of something different, then look for a justification besides just wanting something different, be it weight, power, or some other factor.  Life's short so if you are tired of the Ultimate Riding Machine, go for it  :thumbs:  Can you tell I really like my '16 RT? ^-^
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Not tempted back onto the latest Multistrada? This year's bike is meant to be a good step-up from the previous model. Ok, chain drive and smaller screen. But lots more character than any RT or GS.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I'm pretty weedy and I've just gone from a Tiger 955i to a R1200RT and I find the RT generally easier to move around, as it's got a lower centre of gravity.

It's tricky finding one "do it all" bike, but I think if you want a bike for long-ish commuting and bigger trips then you should be looking at 700-900cc

Transalp 700 and Vstrom 650 both get good reviews, but might be a bit small for bigger trips.

I would test ride a new style Africa Twin. There's been quite a few on ebay recently for £9,000. low miles, obviously people fell for all the hype, bought one new for £11,000, farkled it up, then realised it wasn't the bike for them.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

UKDucatiman wrote: Not tempted back onto the latest Multistrada? This year's bike is meant to be a good step-up from the previous model. Ok, chain drive and smaller screen. But lots more character than any RT or GS.

Had been thinking about it but have been put of by reliability issues.  I know MTS has always has its problems, though mine did a pretty trouble free 25,000 miles.  However, a good friend has just had a very lucky escape on a new one.  His engine seized and snapped the chain at "progressive" speed on a Belgian motorway.  Luckily, he walked away but it makes you think...