REVIEW: 2016 BMW R1200RT - three weeks in

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Methos1979

REVIEW: 2016 BMW R1200RT - three weeks in

Post by Methos1979 »

It's been nearly three weeks since I picked up my 2016 Ebony Metallic RT. I've ridden the heck out of it (by my standards) and I've learned enough to give it a full on review. My reviews tend to be long and wordy so for those that don't like to read here's my summary:

THIS BIKE IS FRIGGIN' AWESOME! BUY ONE!!

Now, for those that prefer a more nuanced and detailed approach, read on...

Me: 55 (almost),riding for 40 years, owned most the 'major' brands. Had one previous BMW, an R1200C four bikes ago which started my love affair with the boxer engine. I loved the quirky look of the C but not so much the performance. Went over to Harley's for the last two bikes after searching out the most laid back comfortable cruiser we could find which ended up being the extremely large Road Glide Customs at nearly 900 pounds dry.

But I missed the boxer engine and on a whim the wife and I went to the BMW dealership in early July and test rode an RT. Test rode them in 2012 and hated it. Test rode again 2016 and LOVED it! Sold the Harley and bought the RT. Compared to the Road Glides, the RT feels like I'm riding a scooter. It's SO light. Very easy to move around when not riding and much easier on my increasingly dodgy knee!

Much of the comparisons in this review will be to the HD's since they are my last two bikes.

Ergonomics: It has become apparent that back in 2014 when they were redesigning the RT, some German engineers snuck into my bedroom one night while I slept and took full body measurements of me and used these to build the new RT. The bike fits me that well. On the Harley's my back, shoulders and knee would ache after a few hours of riding. Not so much with the RT. In fact, not at all. I get a little pressure on my bum from the seat but most of that is because I'm a bit on the heavy side. I'm sure if I dropped 50 or so pounds it would much better!

Performance: Compared to the HD bikes, well, you can imagine. My last HD was a CVO model with the 110 cu" engine which is almost 1800 cc's. And while it got up and went better than that stock HD's 103 cu" engine, it was still a ponderously slow feeling compared to the RT. During the test ride I nearly launched my poor wife off the back the first time I tweaked the throttle. She shrieked. I giggled. I'm well beyond my inline four stupid acceleration years but the RT's improved HP via the LC design seems to be just right for me. I still giggle every time I pass somebody! I'm also real happy to be back on bike that stops on a dime. My HD's had anti-lock brakes but are nothing like the RT. I remember reading a magazine review of an RT test ride some years ago where the reviewer wrote that grabbing a handful of BMW brakes feels like having the hand of God come down and stop you! That's exactly how it feels to me. And with the added engine performance I'll need that extra braking power!

Ride: At 300 pounds lighter than the HD, the RT feels like a scooter. I can whip that bike around like a toy. Or at least that is how it feels. And it's nice to be back on a Telelever suspension. I don't miss that front fork dive on braking. In fact, it was almost eerie braking the first time and feeling how stable the bike stays. The high tech ride is great. I tried all three pre-load settings and found that even with my wife on the back the one-up rider is enough. We never bottom out. Fortunately, she doesn't weigh much. I frequently change between the Soft, Normal and Hard settings and find Normal works best for me as well. I have not had the chance to try the Rain and Dynamic settings. I try never to ride in the rain anyway. We are fair-weather riders for sure.

Features: Probably my favorite feature is the Gear Assist Pro shift, or whatever it's actually called. I knew nothing about this feature when I first started looking and even when I found out about it I was fairly sure it was not something I'd like or use. Wow - was I wrong about that. I love this feature and use it all the time! I also like the automatic windshield positioning. The stereo is nice but I rarely listen to music when I ride. I find the menu system and the selector wheel to be easy and intuitive to use. I like the keyless riding with just the fob. I'm used to that from the HD though. I do like the push button fork lock. That's neat.

Add-ons: I've only added a few things. Changed the windshield over to a Werks Quiet Ride. The stock shield was okay but very noisy and buffet-y. It only seemed to shine when all the way up at highway speeds. Then it seems to quiet down some and kill the wind. The Werks is the opposite - quiet at slower speeds but it get's noisy above 70 when put all the way up. I went with the 22" and wish I'd gone with the 24" as when fully extended it's not quite up enough. But we mostly avoid highway riding so for now it's good. I thought I'd hate the thin grips so ordered some Grip Puppies. But I found the Grip Puppies made my throttle hand go number even quicker so I cut them right off. Funny thing is, now that I'm used to the thin grips, I actually like them. I did add a Cramp Buster throttle boss which has greatly reduced my need for using the cruise control.

I added the front fender extender, the expensive one from Machineart. Coming from the high cost of HD parts, I didn't mind paying for the one I got as I like the quality, the look, the fit and the way it attaches. It looks fine and works great. Last we added a tail bag from Nelson-Rigg. It's just the perfect size (ie: small) for what I wanted which was just something to hold the few things I didn't want rolling around in the saddle bags. Things like the manuals, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, first aid kit, tire repair kit, snacks. I can fit everything in there and it looks great! It also provides enough of a stop to keep the wife from flying off the bike. She was more than happy with that so I was able to cancel the Sargent back rest I had on order and save a lot of money.

I'm only a few weeks in but this bike is just perfect for us. I love the look. I love the ride. I love the features and the performance. I'm thrilled to be back on a boxer. And since I'm coming off two HD's, I'm not suffering sticker shock from the price of the bike or the servicing! In fact, it's pretty much a wash with the favor going slightly to BMW. After selling the Harley, my payments for the RT are almost a full $100 LESS than the HD. Love it.

We originally were going to go with the Platinum Bronze but at the last second changed to the Ebony Metallic. And while I still like the EM color a little better, I wish I'd stuck with the PB as it would have hidden the dust better. Oh yeah - that's another thing! Cleaning the RT is SO much easier than the HD's. I used to spend a solid 45 minutes wiping down the HD's. First time I cleaned the RT it took me about 10 minutes. Love that too!

Anyway, if there is anyone out there (still) reading this that is like me - older, coming off Harley's or other huge/heavy bikes - and is on the fence wondering, go for it. This bike has made me feel like a kid again. I have resigned myself to the inevitable speeding ticket I'm going to get. The only other downside to this bike is that my jaw muscles hurt from the constant grin on my face but I assume that will get better as my face muscles acclimate!
guest2360

Re: REVIEW: 2016 BMW R1200RT - three weeks in

Post by guest2360 »

Obviously not too keen on it then.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Methos1979 wrote:
THIS BIKE IS FRIGGIN' AWESOME! BUY ONE!!

I think you'll find most members on here already have!

;)
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Enjoyed the read ... Thanks 👍
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm a week or two behind you Methos, but I did my first decent ride yesterday.  That was about 330 miles across in to Wales and on some really nadgery roads.  Ok, it is still running in, but I agree with you - it is a brilliant bike.  Not as quick as my old K1300GT, but much more nimble to ride and it just feels more fun.  Mine's ebony too and, a bit like my black car, it looks great when clean.  So far though I'm really enjoying it.  Never had a bike that leans like this one either.  Feels like the mirrors are about to touch down in corners.
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

I've had my 2016 RT for about 6 weeks and really like it. I've also got a 2016 GSA but get a lot of buffering from the screen on that bike. Tried lots of things and Chang find the right balance between air into the helmet and a relatively non-buffeting ride.

The standard screen on the RT is great and the bike feels much more nimble than my GSA.  I'm 6'11" and the bike ergonomic suit me. There are definite advantages to the GSA (ruggedness and flexibility on carrying capacity) but I think I'm going to sell that and keep the RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

6 ft 11in and you haven't resorted to lowering the pegs or raising the bars.  Well done you.  Or are you 5 ft 11in
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

elephant8869 wrote: Image

I've had my 2016 RT for about 6 weeks and really like it. I've also got a 2016 GSA but get a lot of buffering from the screen on that bike. Tried lots of things and Chang find the right balance between air into the helmet and a relatively non-buffeting ride.

The standard screen on the RT is great and the bike feels much more nimble than my GSA.  I'm 6'11" and the bike ergonomic suit me. There are definite advantages to the GSA (ruggedness and flexibility on carrying capacity) but I think I'm going to sell that and keep the RT
Sorry, just spotted typo ... I'm 6'1" a much more normal height :-))
Gadelson

Post by Gadelson »

Great review - thanks! I'm also riding a Harley (2013 Softail Breakout CVO) and am thinking the 1200RT is the next bike for me! I may wait for the 2017 as I want a white bike and that's one of the new colours!
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Gadelson wrote: Great review - thanks! I'm also riding a Harley (2013 Softail Breakout CVO) and am thinking the 1200RT is the next bike for me! I may wait for the 2017 as I want a white bike and that's one of the new colours!

You won't be sorry. Great bikes. Definitely test ride one.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Gadelson wrote: I may wait for the 2017 as I want a white bike and that's one of the new colours!

Could be a good decision.  It's possible that white may prove to be the second fastest colour so far.  Either way, it's bound to be quicker than blue...

:alas: :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

17 spec bikes should be with us shortly.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

What about this white one ?
Attachments
image.jpeg
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I quite like the "white" look.

What would you do for a top box though .... Spray one white?
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.