Nelson-Rigg tail pack review

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Methos1979

Nelson-Rigg tail pack review

Post by Methos1979 »

I was looking for some sort of tail bag/pack/case for my new RT. I don't like the look of the large BMW top hard cases (not to mention the price!) and since we don't tour we don't need that much room anyway. BMW makes as soft bag that was not bad but even that was a little larger than what I wanted and $180. I was just looking for something that would hold the 'small items' that I don't want rolling around in the saddlebags. I'm talking like the manuals, tire repair kit and electric air pump, can of sunscreen, some energy bars, ball cap, sunglasses, first aid kit, that kind of thing. BMW saddlebag design being what it is makes it difficult to just throw a few things in there as everything would just jostle around in there and then fall out when you open it up.

So I took to Amazon and just started searching, looking for something small but durable and attractive. There were several options but one rose to the top: The  Nelson-Rigg CL-1060-S Black Sport Tail/Seat Pack. It's relatively small but heavy duty made with nice features. It holds exactly what I need it to hold with some extra room to spare. And that's without unzipping the extender which gives you even more room. It cost me $80 shipped Prime (two-day shipping) and I couldn't be happier. It fits perfect, holds what I want it to and looks like it was built for the bike. I had a backrest on order for the wife (Sargent - $365) but she said the small pack gives her what she needs which mostly just something to keep her from flying off the back when I goose the throttle.

If you're looking for a small tail pack solution that looks nice, is well made and affordable, check it out. Lots of high reviews on Amazon for it. I'll post a couple photos of it on the bike.
Attachments
20160805_132927.jpg
20160805_132934.jpg
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Nelson-Rigg tail pack review

Post by T6pilot »

I was in the same boat ended buying the 28L top case with lock $435 from my local dealer
Very happy with small case
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

T6pilot wrote: I was in the same boat ended buying the 28L top case with lock $435 from my local dealer
Very happy with small case

Tend to agree.  I like the look of some of the soft bags but always worry about security.  I agree with the OP about the huge OEM box, so I too went for the 28l BMW box.  Seems like the best of both worlds...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't understand.  Why would you buy a touring bike , add what appears to be a very large screen and obviously don't use a GPS unit that fits the dedicated cradle.  Surely there are lots of bikes at half the price and weight for just day trips etc
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

RTman10 wrote: Don't understand.  Why would you buy a touring bike , add what appears to be a very large screen and obviously don't use a GPS unit that fits the dedicated cradle.  Surely there are lots of bikes at half the price and weight for just day trips etc

Because it's a great bike for short day trips. Rides great, looks great, love the boxer engine.

The screen is actually smaller than the stock one. Who needs a GPS? I go where the road takes me. Getting lost and finding your way back is half the fun. Besides, I've got Google maps on my phone. Real men don't ask for directions. At least that's the old joke.

I'm sorry you don't understand. As an RT owner I would think the answer would be obvious! Then again, I could care less what others think about what I ride. I rode a 2001 BMW R1200C Phoenix for 5 years!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, it certainly looks like a well-styled and sensibly priced tail bag, but what about security and being waterproof (admittedly the latter being a major consideration here in the UK!!)??
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

It actually comes with a waterproof rain cover for those that ride in the rain. We generally do not so it was not a consideration for us.

As for security, I don't keep anything in there worth stealing. You can lock it with a small lock like a luggage lock but that would only encourage someone to cut it off and run anyway.

Like I said, I just needed something to hold the minor incidentals that I didn't want rolling around the panniers.