David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Touring Boots

Post by David. »

Altberg, http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg-a ... -original/

"The ankle area is protected by Astroshock, midsole 2-3 season polypropylene with graded flex point- which has good crush resistance properties.
The lining is Sympatex® waterproof, so the boot is suitable for ‘all year round’ use – and the whole build of the boot is strong and protective."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

But its not specifically designed for use on a motorcycle. Can't see any shin protection and they look shorter than most bike boots.  Think I would be tempted to stick with the real thing.  When I turn into a rambler maybe.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

TCX Infinity GTX for me.  Brilliant boots, even if they do look a bit Enduro.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Some motorcycle trousers include shin armour, my wife has a pair of Dainese textiles which do.

The BMW Allround boots, "Shaft height at back approx. 25 cm."

The Altberg Hogg boots, "Height 25.4cms"
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: But its not specifically designed for use on a motorcycle. Can't see any shin protection and they look shorter than most bike boots.  Think I would be tempted to stick with the real thing.  When I turn into a rambler maybe.

If you look at Altberg page, they also make specific motorcycle boots, so not just Hog. They also supply a lot of the Police, so guess they are not wearing the correct gear either. I would have thought lace up boots would go well with the autocom, as that is older technology as well. Hog boots are made for motorcycling, if you bother to google there are many very good reviews of those boots from serious motorcyclists. I really like them and like all things make your own decisions, but don't slag off products from the armchair with no real experience of them.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wasn't slagging them off just pointing out they are not bike boots. Same logic goes for all riding gear so far as I'm concerned. If it means anything the armour on the front of my Allround boots is 30cm off the ground and just happens to meet the bottom of the knee armour when I'm on the bike.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Boots are usually taller at the front than the back, the standard seems to be to quote the height at the back.

The Altberg Hogg High All Weather Boot is 34cms, http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg-high-all-weather/

The BMW ProTouring Boot is also 34cms at the front.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Wasn't slagging them off just pointing out they are not bike boots. Same logic goes for all riding gear so far as I'm concerned. If it means anything the armour on the front of my Allround boots is 30cm off the ground and just happens to meet the bottom of the knee armour when I'm on the bike.

You are pointing out they are not bike boots - lol, who says? Like I said there are plenty of reviews that beg to differ. Altberg think they are bike books. What about ankle touring boots, then are they not bike boots?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

. What about ankle touring boots, then are they not bike boots?

Would think twice about wearing any of those as well.
IMHO.  A bike boot should have armour covering your shin and ankle, have a sole that is crushproof with a tread pattern that lets your foot come off the peg easily and quickly.  Should be 100% waterproof preferably with Goretex as that keeps a constant temperature as possibly and finally can be put on and taken off quickly. My Allround are all those things which are most motorcycle boots.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: . What about ankle touring boots, then are they not bike boots?

Would think twice about wearing any of those as well.
IMHO.  A bike boot should have armour covering your shin and ankle, have a sole that is crushproof with a tread pattern that lets your foot come off the peg easily and quickly.  Should be 100% waterproof preferably with Goretex as that keeps a constant temperature as possibly and finally can be put on and taken off quickly. My Allround are all those things which are most motorcycle boots.

They must be better, because they have a BMW badge and everything BMW is quality - or is it? Glad your the Oracle on motorcycle boots as well.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: What about ankle touring boots, then are they not bike boots?

Each to his own - of course it is - and having been to the factory several times, I agree that the quality (not necessarily the protectiveness) of Altberg Hoggs is fantastic.

BUT...

Three years ago, in the high mountains of Corsica (an area that turned out to have no mobile signal),I came round a bend to find a great friend in a big heap with compound fractures of his right arm and left leg.  It's a long story but after an hour's work by a surgeon at the roadside and a helicopter evacuation, he survived and thanks to 9 hours in theatre in an Ajaccio hospital and another 20-odd hours in several German theatres too, he didn't lose his foot.

Maybe no kit would have protected him much better in an accident like that but maybe it would.  The open pit-zips on his jacket definitely allowed the armour to move around on his arms and he was wearing ankle "touring" boots - his leg fracture was just above where the boot ended.  He hasn't ridden a bike since.

Being FBoS to an accident like that definitely sharpens your attitude to kit.  For "normal" riding I still wear relatively soft Daytona GTX boots but for anything that is likely to get progressive I switch to Daytona Evo Voltex, which have a laterally rigid inner boot, like race boots.

I also never wear jackets or trousers where the armour can move around too easily.

I hope I never have cause to be grateful...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
They must be better, because they have a BMW badge and everything BMW is quality - or is it? Glad your the Oracle on motorcycle boots as well.

No I'm definitely not but it's obvious that  the higher boot that give some protection to you lower leg must be better than having nothing at all.  For me the Allround which is made in Italy is a simple  well made boot with no frills and at reasonable price.  The original question on this thread was advice on a touring boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:They must be better, because they have a BMW badge and everything BMW is quality - or is it?
Some folks won't buy anything unless it's got a BMW badge on it & are happy to pay twice the price for the privilege.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: Some folks won't buy anything unless it's got a BMW badge on it & are happy to pay twice the price for the privilege.

...like an F800GS instead of a Tracer?

;)
wethead

Post by wethead »

I went to Sears to look at a pair of boots on sale, by the time I applied for a Sears credit card and and applied the sale, the boots were around 25-30 bucks.

They are waterproof, tall and comfortable. To this day, they are my most comfortable riding boots. Even better than the Sidi Canyon. I used them this Summer in weather from 51 to 103 and they were more comfortable than the Sidi.

They have a Sears emblem somewhere in the inside, does that count?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.