Touring Boots

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Touring Boots

Post by richardbd »

wethead wrote: I went to Sears to look at a pair of boots on sale, by the time I applied for a Sears credit card and and applied the sale, the boots were around 25-30 bucks.

They are waterproof, tall and comfortable. To this day, they are my most comfortable riding boots. Even better than the Sidi Canyon. I used them this Summer in weather from 51 to 103 and they were more comfortable than the Sidi.

They have a Sears emblem somewhere in the inside, does that count?

ask us again when you fall off at 80mph wearing them...

;)
wethead

Post by wethead »

Wait, let me get this straight: you want me to report to you 'when' I fall off my motorbike at 80mph...you mean, report on the boots? or how I am doing in the hospital.

With all due respect sir, that is a horrible thing to suggest--for one thing.

Secondly, falling off a motorcycle at 80 mph would probably cause more 'human' concern from a feller biker on this board than 'how did your Sears boot do?

Thirdly, I would be more akin to your sensitivity if you were to be concerned with my well-being rather than the efficacy of my boots, were I to have such disastrous event occur in my life.

Fourtly, I would suspect that with the toe-protection the Sears boot has, I can't imagine what else could be added to a boot to prevent injury in an event of such gravity. I don't suspect the leather on the Sidi boots is any more impact-proof that on any other boot.

And Lastly, you just motivated me to unsubscribe from this thread
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

wethead wrote: Wait, let me get this straight: you want me to report to you 'when' I fall off my motorbike at 80mph...you mean, report on the boots? or how I am doing in the hospital.

With all due respect sir, that is a horrible thing to suggest--for one thing.

Secondly, falling off a motorcycle at 80 mph would probably cause more 'human' concern from a feller biker on this board than 'how did your Sears boot do?

Thirdly, I would be more akin to your sensitivity if you were to be concerned with my well-being rather than the efficacy of my boots, were I to have such disastrous event occur in my life.

Fourtly, I would suspect that with the toe-protection the Sears boot has, I can't imagine what else could be added to a boot to prevent injury in an event of such gravity. I don't suspect the leather on the Sidi boots is any more impact-proof that on any other boot.

And Lastly, you just motivated me to unsubscribe from this thread

The point is that all protective kit is equal - right up until the point when you need it to protect you.

There's a reason why some helmets cost £500 and some cost £50 and some boots cost £350 and some cost £35...

fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

richardbd wrote: The point is that all protective kit is equal - right up until the point when you need it to protect you.
There's a reason why some helmets cost £500 and some cost £50 and some boots cost £350 and some cost £35...
Not really regarding helmets. This data makes interesting reading and concludes a £60 can offer 5 star protection.
http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/
Where some of the more expensive ones excel is in weight and/or how quiet they are I guess.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

fatnfast wrote: Not really regarding helmets. This data makes interesting reading and concludes a £60 can offer 5 star protection.
http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/
Where some of the more expensive ones excel is in weight and/or how quiet they are I guess.

I completely agree with the sentiment that there's more to quality than price.  However, we all know that anything can be designed to pass a lab test - just ask the emissions team at VW.  The real question is are you willing to trust your head to a £60 helmet in a high-speed tumble?

I'm not and my experience in the mountains of Corsica has made me think the same way about footwear too.

Makes me laugh the way we'll pay £15k plus for a bike then celebrate paying as little as possible for something that sooner or later we'll depend on to save life or limb...

fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Agree, I wouldn't be happy with a £60 lid, but the tests are independent so it's a bit unfair to compare them with VW. Are we just being snobs though, supporting overpriced products that are actually no better than ones half the price? The evidence out their suggests that maybe we are.

I love my 15k BMW, but they are also far from perfect. Rear shocks early RTs, corrosion, leaking waterpumps etc. Still wouldn't want anything else though. :-)

But this is about boots. I see a lot are being CE certified which helps, but just like helmets getting them tested in the real world is difficult. Fortunately for us we have two big sticky out pots to help protect us on our boxers :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

wethead wrote: I went to Sears to look at a pair of boots on sale, by the time I applied for a Sears credit card and and applied the sale, the boots were around 25-30 bucks.

They are waterproof, tall and comfortable. To this day, they are my most comfortable riding boots. Even better than the Sidi Canyon. I used them this Summer in weather from 51 to 103 and they were more comfortable than the Sidi.

They have a Sears emblem somewhere in the inside, does that count?

Definitely not! They can't be a motorcycle boot, because Sears don't make motorcycle gear, and they don't have a BMW badge. Never mind, you'll be able to get a proper pair one day  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You definitely have an issue with BMW badges.  What have you done with the ones on your bike.😸
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: You definitely have an issue with BMW badges.  What have you done with the ones on your bike.😸

He took them off - it's a stealth RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm starting to get this self conscious feeling.  Think it's time to find some gaffer tape for the back of the helmet, left arm on the jacket , finger on the gloves, button on the key pouch and labels on the underwear , socks and shirts.  Not quite sure how to camouflage the wristwatch, maybe swap back to the Rolex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Lovely day here today.  Off to a DIY store 50 miles away to get some more gaffa tape.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Just make sure it's not BMW branded ...  :not speak:
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just make sure it's not BMW branded ... :not speak:

What like my last roll.
Attachments
WP_20160812_14_14_57_Pro.jpg
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

[size=78%]Nope love my RT, got no issues with the badge on the bike. But I would not gravitate to a piece of kit, just because it is branded to BMW. Like a lot of Harley owners I know, they become brand kings, regardless if the kit is actually any good. Wear what you want, but just because its got a BMW badge, it doesn't follow its great. Had a conversation last week in my local dealers about the Streetguard jacket, the guy told me that they have been known to leak WTF - leak! Didn't have a problem not getting my wallet out for the £600 they were asking.  [/size]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's correct.  There has been a problem with the current Streatguard jacket.  Wouldn't think anybody has still got one that does though.  I have a pair of Streatguard 1 trousers that must be 10 years old and have been around Europe more times than I like to admit.  Just can't wear them out or get them to leak.
And yes I do own bike gear without the badge but in most cases when I need something new I find the BMW stuff to be better quality .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk