Touring Boots

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sleuth

Re: Touring Boots

Post by Sleuth »

Just to throw my oil on the flames!

For the OP: I have a set of Daytona boots.  With a boot size 13 - I am restricted in what I can wear on my feet, however I am very happy touring with them.  Certainly the previous pair stopped a huge bruise when I was rear ended in 2011.  The bruise from the pannier went from the knee to the boot seam & stopped.  As it was a slow speed crunch the bike took most of the impact!

Regarding BMW branded kit:
I currently wear Streetguard Trousers (requiring minor repair to the leg Velcro), Airflow Gloves, ProSummer Gloves & ProWinter Gloves.  The mid season AllRound Gloves while waterproof to the nth degree the visor broke away so I replaced it with a pair from Revit.

I had the previous Streetguard jacket, and when it began to leak & the Velcro wore out I replaced it with a Klim Badlands Jacket.  Why? It had too much Velcro.

Are BMW products always good quality?  I think you can buy better items, sometimes at a cheaper price, however in the main I think the quality is good.

You can buy cheaper, and have it good enough in a crash.  You can also pay the earth and have it fail.  You have to make the decision when you buy it - does the quality look good enough for your peace of mind?  I will not comment if you ride in a T-Shirt, shorts & flip-flops on a race machine, but do not come looking for sympathy if you have problems!

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards, Sleuth
Subman

Post by Subman »

BMW Allround boots...not a ton of money (despite the BMW brand), quite comfortable on & off the bike.  On their third season & no desire to upgrade 'em.  Seems to have a good balance of protection & comfort, at least for me.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Normally I'm a cheapskate on boots but this time I went to a store in Camberley, tried on loads and really liked the comfort of Daytonas, despite appearing to be a bit of a fag to put on, they have a velcro inner boot which is waterproof and then a diagonal zip on the outer boot, once mastered this is really easy on and off, after a year now I still love them, not cheap but worth the money.
Noel

Post by Noel »

I tried both types of BMW boots and there were too dang narrow and the toe box too short for my old diabetic feet so i took them back for a refund.  TCX X-5 Plus Gortex boots have been fabulous for me as they are wider and taller in the toe box and bonus, found last year's model in my size on eBay for 1/2 price.  Super high quality full grain leather should last a very long time.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I tried both types of BMW boots and there were too dang narrow and the toe box too short for my old diabetic feet so i took them back for a refund.

You bought two pairs of boots and presumably tried them on and then took them both back for a refund.  Or did you buy them on line on sale or return.  If not you have a very understanding dealer.
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

Have any of you Altberg wearers had to adjust the gear lever height? Says on their site that the toe box is deeper then most bike boots and gear lever adjustment may be necessary.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

lobdeggydog wrote: Have any of you Altberg wearers had to adjust the gear lever height? Says on their site that the toe box is deeper then most bike boots and gear lever adjustment may be necessary.

Nope, not on my Harley or the RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I have a few different pairs of boots, but my favorite to wear are my BMW Dry sneakers.  They are certified for motorcycle use, super easy to slip off and on, and you can walk around all day in them if you want.  They are geared more toward the younger crowd I think, but hey, I can pretend.  I get a lot of compliments on them from fellow riders.
BMW MOA #210438
Subman

Post by Subman »

I just got the "regular" i.e. non-waterproof BMW sneakers for hot weather, as my Allround boots were just too warm once it got around 85 or so.  Love 'em, ventilation is great and they're incredibly comfortable...like, I dunno, sneakers.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Subman wrote: I just got the "regular" i.e. non-waterproof BMW sneakers for hot weather, as my Allround boots were just too warm once it got around 85 or so.  Love 'em, ventilation is great and they're incredibly comfortable...like, I dunno, sneakers.

You're a braver man than I am, riding a motorcycle in those...
timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote:
You're a braver man than I am, riding a motorcycle in those...

According to BMW catalog, "Certified according to DIN EN 13634:2010 as safety shoe for motorcycle riders".  That's good enough for me.
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote:
According to BMW catalog, "Certified according to DIN EN 13634:2010 as safety shoe for motorcycle riders".  That's good enough for me.

You can probably find fingerless gloves that are certified for motorbike use too...

;)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Toetector flip flops anyone?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You can probably find fingerless gloves that are certified for motorbike use too...

Think you might find them in Sears

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Apologies for the slightly flippant reply above, but riding in just shoes would be a real no-no for me.  Having a perfectly protected foot is little comfort is after a mishap you look down and find it pointing the wrong way.  Always wear decent gloves too.  I guess our roads are pretty densely populated over here, but that would still worry me even if it's quiet.  Maybe I'm getting old.