Touring Boots

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
O2TheL

Re: Touring Boots

Post by O2TheL »

I rode various bikes for around 10 years in the UK (Student, then poor young professional), then in NZ for two years, then Germany for 4 years.  I have now lived in the US for 10 years (South Carolina and now Kentucky) and find myself increasingly more flexible on protective gear - and I'm older, with much more to loose and much more powerful bikes these days.  I still always ride with a helmet, gloves, closed shoes/boots and armored jacket, however, I sometimes use a mesh jacket, no armor in gloves, and low boots.

My theory on this change from riding in Europe/NZ is five fold:
- everyone drives slower here
- lots of bikers don't even wear helmets here, so I'm always better off than most. 
- far far less traffic
- better safety equipment on bike (abs, traction control, etc)
- it's bloody hot!
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote:
You can probably find fingerless gloves that are certified for motorbike use too...

;)

@Subman, we need to turn in our sneakers and go full armor!  :))
Attachments
20070803sva.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
Subman

Post by Subman »

timminator wrote:
@Subman, we need to turn in our sneakers and go full armor!  :) )
Only if I get to carry the sword...
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

O2TheL wrote: I have now lived in the US for 10 years...
- everyone drives slower here

That's because of all the cast-iron engine bars, back-rests and huge screens that they add to their bikes!

:alas: ;) :alas: ;) :alas:
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

richardbd wrote:
That's because of all the cast-iron engine bars, back-rests and huge screens that they add to their bikes!

:alas: ;) :alas: ;) :alas:

True that!

UPDATE and HOLD THE PRESS though.....

On the way home from work today, some jerk swung into my lane and caused me to take evasive action.  Glad I was wearing my gear.

I was mighty ticked off and followed him off the freeway.  There was a cop driving by that I flagged down and turns out that he didn't have a licence.  I was pretty wound up, so lucky for him he got the cop and not my hot-headed reaction.

Just shows that you never know what will come at you round the next corner
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

timminator wrote: According to BMW catalog, "Certified according to DIN EN 13634:2010 as safety shoe for motorcycle riders". That's good enough for me.
Ok all the flippant comments aside.  I would not wear short boots, as I discovered the protection of long boots.  Still your life your responsibility.

When I was rear ended, I think the damage could have been much worse if I had not been as well kitted out as I was.  Even so, I have a continuing issue with my shoulder - it has been permanently weakened - and I do not think my knee (already a problem) was improved!

We all have to live with the decisions we make.  We are free to choose our actions/decisions, just not free to choose the consequences of them!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
mannylasker

Post by mannylasker »

To the OP, I love my BMW Pro Tour boots. Had for two seasons and by far best I've  ever owned. Excellent comfort, great protection, waterproof, well constructed.

Not ideal for the hottest of days and a little expensive, but I have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thread revival - Altberg the company who don't make motorcycle boots according to some on this forum, just got the best buy for all year around boots from Ride magazine this month  :)
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I wear Altbergs,  present pair is over 5 years old worn almost every day  waterproof,  warm enough in winter cool enough in summer ( well what passes for summer in the UK)  all day comfortable riding or walking. and under £200.00 including fitting ( sort of made to measure)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Thread revival - Altberg the company who don't make motorcycle boots according to some on this forum, just got the best buy for all year around boots from Ride magazine this month  :)

Yeah - but didn't they also make the AT bike of the year??

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All that proves is they couldn't get any free boots out of BMW to test.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Yeah - but didn't they also make the AT bike of the year??

;)

Many would agree with that, though not on this forum  8)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: All that proves is they couldn't get any free boots out of BMW to test.

:) :)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

To be fair, the boots they gave the triangle to are "real" bike boots, not quasi walking boots...
GDD

Post by GDD »

My wife and I both have the BMW allround boots and they are great! 8)
We have done over 5000 klms in them so far with no problems, very comfortable and waterproof.