Rear Rack Extender for 2015 R1200RT LC ??

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
iRider

Rear Rack Extender for 2015 R1200RT LC ??

Post by iRider »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 R1200RT LC and I use it for carrying Blood Boxes when volunteering for Blood Bikes. These boxes are about 12in wide, 18in London and 16in high. Very light but bulky.

They do strap on to the standard rear rack on the RT and have never come off. But I am never totally confident so I want to add a bolt on plate to the top of the existing rack that effectively increases the surface area.

There appear to be plenty of after market manufacturers of these rack extension plates out there but I can't find one for the RT?

They are marketed as being for strapping on soft luggage, rucksacks, tents etc but they will do exactly what I need too. Has anyone found a plate that fits to the RT please..

Thanks. 
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear Rack Extender for 2015 R1200RT LC ??

Post by Casbar »

I went through the same thing, I had a rack made up by a local engineering company, it is quick release and can be taken off in minutes. Here is a photo, but the price was eye watering, as I had the first prototype. But I also use it for camping, so getting use out of it. I couldn't find anything suitable that was quick release so I can swap to my top box in minutes. Blood box fits well.
Attachments
IMG_0773.JPG
iRider

Post by iRider »

Casbar wrote: I went through the same thing, I had a rack made up by a local engineering company, it is quick release and can be taken off in minutes. Here is a photo, but the price was eye watering, as I had the first prototype. But I also use it for camping, so getting use out of it. I couldn't find anything suitable that was quick release so I can swap to my top box in minutes. Blood box fits well.

That's exactly what I'm after. I don't suppose the engineers have a plan of the original so they could make me one :-)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yes they could make you one, they have plans as i took my bike there 3 times for fitting and measurements. But as I said, mine was £600, which is a lot of dosh for a rack, so happy to put you in touch so you can negotiate, but I was shocked at the price, but hey, it is really good and works extremely  well. Drop me a mail if you want the contact details  :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

The other option is to try Mark Hooton at Cymarc.  He'll make anything to a pattern.  I had a plate made for my Multistrada by Mark - perfect out of the packaging.  Less than £600 too!
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Their is a company in Florida called
GSessories.com
They make a mounting  plate for 1200RT  sells for $139.99 us
Worth contacting as he's a small company that makes parts in house and may be able to help
thank you for the service
Jim
Jim
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've sent the contact details. For me, i wanted a rack that would be quick release, so I could swap to my top box easily and also something that didn't require any modifications to the standard rack. But like I said earlier, a lot of £££ for something that is bespoke. Been using it for 6 months or so and its been faultless. Any royalties greatly received  8)
iRider

Post by iRider »

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. In the end I didn't fit a rack extension to my 2015 RT LC, instead I added a liveried 2007 RTP with just 8k miles on it to my garage 👍
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

iRider wrote: Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. In the end I didn't fit a rack extension to my 2015 RT LC, instead I added a liveried 2007 RTP with just 8k miles on it to my garage 👍

Cool alternative, any pics?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

iRider wrote: Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 R1200RT LC and I use it for carrying Blood Boxes when volunteering for Blood Bikes. These boxes are about 12in wide, 18in London and 16in high. Very light but bulky.

They do strap on to the standard rear rack on the RT and have never come off. But I am never totally confident so I want to add a bolt on plate to the top of the existing rack that effectively increases the surface area.

There appear to be plenty of after market manufacturers of these rack extension plates out there but I can't find one for the RT?

They are marketed as being for strapping on soft luggage, rucksacks, tents etc but they will do exactly what I need too. Has anyone found a plate that fits to the RT please..

Thanks.
Just to pick up on the Blood Bike aspect of blood boxes. The 'Freewheelers' in my neck of the woods appear to carry blood in a regulation UN3373 bag which fits in the panniers. They carry other bodily liquids(!) in a padded cool box, which, as you also referred to, straps onto a rack on the back of the bike. I did wonder why the NABB didn't order RT Beemers with top boxes that could accommodate samples etc securely.....??? Does the pod (in place of the pillion seat) impinge on the OEM rack location?
iRider

Post by iRider »

Casbar wrote:
Cool alternative, any pics?

Here you go 👍[attachimg=1]
Attachments
image.jpeg
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

Steve F wrote: Just to pick up on the Blood Bike aspect of blood boxes. The 'Freewheelers' in my neck of the woods appear to carry blood in a regulation UN3373 bag which fits in the panniers. They carry other bodily liquids(!) in a padded cool box, which, as you also referred to, straps onto a rack on the back of the bike. I did wonder why the NABB didn't order RT Beemers with top boxes that could accommodate samples etc securely.....??? Does the pod (in place of the pillion seat) impinge on the OEM rack location?
That isn't correct; I think you have been misinformed. I work for Freewheelers EVS in Bristol, Somerset and surrounding area and blood transportation isn't decided by the blood bike charities. There is national guidance by NHS BT and the blood banks. Whole blood must be carried in special temperature controlled boxes.  In our area these are Credo boxes which are like a robust insulated sandwich box/picnic box which the blood units are packed into with cool packs. The box is then sealed secure to ensure it is not contaminated. On most blood bikes the Credo box is strapped to the external rack (because of its size) and covered with a waterproof cover. Only blood and pathology samples (category B hazardous material) is carried in the UN3373 bag.  Medication is normally carried in a red pharmacy bag which we place next to the UN3373 bag and occasionally if we're tight for space in the off side equipment pannier. Hope that helps. PS. Looks like the police RT-P with back box will be phased out of blood bike use over the next few years as Home Office approved type specific bikes, i.e. with a rack mounted directly to the rear frame, come into service. All part of bringing the blood bike service into a more formalised emergency service ImageImage
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The above is correct, here is a pic of our new bike with the rack, which is huge  8)
Attachments
IMG_2387.jpg
IMG_0802.jpg
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Casbar wrote: The above is correct, here is a pic of our new bike with the rack, which is huge  8)
I know, but just think how many pizza boxes we can fit on those tray's  ;) :))
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

elephant8869,
Thanks for the clarification/correction.