New RT Rider - Couple of Questions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
O2TheL

New RT Rider - Couple of Questions

Post by O2TheL »

Hi all - newbie here.  I'm a brit, but have lived in the US for 10 years.
I just picked up an '09 R1200RT from a friend of mine, after lusting after it for a few years.  I also have an '11 Ducati Diavel that I'll be keeping for days when I feel like  >:D

I brought and sold a V-Strom last year and a V-Rod the year before that.  Neither bike suited me for various reasons, but I can already tell that the RT will be staying longer (unless it makes sense to buy a newer one).

I love the ease of riding on the RT.  Brakes feel great, acceleration is OK (Ducati aside), handing is smooth and predicable on corners - all things that the V-Strom wasn't great at. 

Couple of questions:
- Is it typical to feel a vibration in the bars at around 80mph?  Not a huge issue, but could see that getting old on a long ride.
- Any tips for not scuffing the rear cases when mounting/dis-mounting - other than just getting used to swinging my legs over more?
- Is is possible to hook up an ipod or sat radio to speakers - or is it even worth it?  Typically use helmet mounted earphones.

Plan on doing some long rides and I think this might be the right tool for the job.

Thanks!
Attachments
20160810_182251.jpg
guest2360

Re: New RT Rider - Couple of Questions

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome to the forum.  Can't see any ariel on the bike so there ain't any speakers.
Keep scuffing the pannier lids. You're not alone.  If you keep doing it, just stand on the foot peg with the bike on its side stand.  Just cover the front brake lever. 
They all have some vibration but a good service will smooth things out.  On yours it's every 6K or 1 year.  Some use Grip puppies to soften any vibes.
Noel

Post by Noel »

O2TheL wrote:
Couple of questions:
- Is it typical to feel a vibration in the bars at around 80mph?  Not a huge issue, but could see that getting old on a long ride.
- Any tips for not scuffing the rear cases when mounting/dis-mounting - other than just getting used to swinging my legs over more?
- Is is possible to hook up an ipod or sat radio to speakers - or is it even worth it?  Typically use helmet mounted earphones.
Plan on doing some long rides and I think this might be the right tool for the job.
Thanks!

Welcome,

I took delivery of a custom ordered '16 RT on March 18th, put on 1900 miles, and decided the bar end vibration amplitude was worth dampening for an upcoming 10K mile trip I started on June 4.  I installed the 17.2 ounce HVMP.com bar ends--I can highly recommend them.  They do diminish the amplitude of vibrations appreciably--maybe 25-30% reduction but over time if you ride a lot I think it's worth it.  The RT was flawless, a true joy to ride on all sorts of pavement, some gravel, and a shallow creek bed.  I found no need to change windscreens or seats--ultra happy w/ the entire machine as it's equipped.

I learned on my the used BMW F800GT I bought getting back into riding 2 years ago just how easy it is to scuff cases, so I told myself I would take the time and effort to avoid it on this new RT, and so far I'm 100% no scuff after about 12K miles.  The cases are off now for routine riding.  One thing you can do is if the bike is on the center stand you can stand up on the peg and throw your leg over while already up on the left foot peg giving loads of clearance, etc.

I custom ordered my RT w/o the $1500 audio package as I'm very happy w/ SENA 10R which works great for iPhone music and Nav V voice prompts.  Never was interested in blaring speakers loud enough to penetrate helmet and wind noise, so it was an easy $1500 to lose.  With it I bought Nav V and the right hand cubby hardware which does not come w/o the audio package on the water boxer RT, the bar ends, a side stand foot enlarger, and added two FIAMM Freeway Blasters on top of swapping out the OEM meeper for a Denali Mini Sound Bomb, which in itself is slightly better than the OEM disc horn, but now w/ 3 horns blaring it's REALLY LOUD.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Unfortunately he has a totally different bike.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

O2TheL wrote: Hi all - newbie here.  I'm a brit, but have lived in the US for 10 years.

You could be in high demand as a cultural translator on here!

Welcome...
Noel

Post by Noel »

RTman10 wrote: Unfortunately he has a totally different bike.

And the bar end discussion, scuffed cases, and likely the audio comments completely apply.
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

Thanks all.  Seems like I just need to find the farkles (do you guys use that word?) for the vibes and just be careful with the cases.  I'll check out the bar-end options.

I'm about to find out how good she rides in the wet - it's home time and a thunderstorm just started!

I've based my whole (Engineering/Business) career on being a cultural translator - also lived in Asia, France and Germany in past 20 years, so no change there then.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

On an '09 the service interval is 12,000 miles. If the vibration is excessive then the injectors may need balancing. Grip Puppies are well worth fitting as they did stop tingling fingers for me.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On an '09 the service interval is 12,000 miles. If the vibration is excessive then the injectors may need balancing. Grip Puppies are well worth fitting as they did stop tingling fingers for me.

In what country would that be then because it wasn't on my 09.  To my knowledge every boxer has a service interval of 6000 miles/10000km or 1 year.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I've just got a 2007 RT and I suffer from numb/tingling hands after riding at about 4,000 RPM/80mph. i have ordered some heavier bar end weights from www.manicsalamander.com

i will report back how effective they are
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

Handles fine in the rain and wind!  Wish I had more than my mesh jacket though.

Another question - why is it so easy to shift up gears without the clutch?  Not something I generally do, but just noticed.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Another question - why is it so easy to shift up gears without the clutch?  Not something I generally do, but just noticed.

That's a new one.  Just a good gearbox probably.  If you think yours is easy, go try an LC with Pro Shift. 
ds99

Post by ds99 »

>Another question - why is it so easy to shift up gears without the clutch?  Not something I generally do, but just noticed
I think you'll find with most modern bikes its easy to shift up without using the clutch, if you time the revs right. I know someone who has never used the clutch to shift up in any of the bikes he has owned
Last edited by ds99 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

I can certainly shift up without the clutch on my current Ducati (and also on past V-Rod and V-Strom), but it's particularly easy to do it on the RT.  Just curious as to why it is so easy - all else in gearbox feels tight.
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

Better late than never to get a BMW RT. 

Be careful, though.  If you go to your dealer and test ride a new R1200RTW, you will return home somewhat poorer.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT