New RT Rider - Couple of Questions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
O2TheL

Re: New RT Rider - Couple of Questions

Post by O2TheL »

bmwdean wrote:
Be careful, though.  If you go to your dealer and test ride a new R1200RTW, you will return home somewhat poorer.

Yeah, kinda worried about that.  Will stay away for the time being. 

Thought that I wanted a GS, so dipping my toe a bit with the RT.  So far very impressed and don't really see the point of a GS for my type of riding.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

O2Thel
I'am jealous you have the perfect combo
Diaval is the perfect "old guys sport bike" comfortable and goes like stink
As for the RT they seem to get better each year, like others have said STAY OFF the LC models, two of my buddies had older RT's great bikes then they rode my 15, within weeks they were sporting new RT's

Jim
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

Yep, I'm very happy with the Ducati/BMW combo.  Maybe just a new Africa Twin to round out the set?

I seriously need to keep the RT for a little while, so will stay away from the Dealership.   

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

ds99 wrote: I've just got a 2007 RT and I suffer from numb/tingling hands after riding at about 4,000 RPM/80mph. i have ordered some heavier bar end weights from www.manicsalamander.com
i will report back how effective they are
In the UK, from the BMW handbook and Haynes manual - first 6,000 miles then 12,000 thereafter (or annually, granted)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My 14 handbook does not quote mileage intervals except for the first which is between 500 and 1200km.  It does however state every 12 months or when the mileage limit is reached whichever is soonest.  You can see from my Service book this is 6000 miles after each service.  Would be interesting in knowing if anybody else has got that book and at what interval their bikes were serviced at.  Every one of my bikes has need a service st 6k. Could it be this 12k is gearbox or final drive oil or the likes.
Attachments
image.png
ds99

Post by ds99 »

when i got my 2007 RT recently (with 36,000 on the clock) the dealer said its 6,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

ds99 wrote: when i got my 2007 RT recently (with 36,000 on the clock) the dealer said its 6,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first
Gearbox and final drive oil changes are shown as 24,000 miles in the 05-10 service schedule.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just been through a pile of handbooks and found one that shows 12K service intervals. A 2006 edition for a K1200R. 
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

Right, thanks guys.  That's totally cleared up the Service interval questions I had then.  Thanks!    :beee: :alas: :eggs:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Everything is simply and straightforward with a BMW bike.  >:D
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

High quality scuff protection is now available for our BMW side cases. Fernando has been making the reflective kits for years. Recently he introduced the clear scuff protectors for side cases. I don't think they are on the website, just went public about a month ago with them. I am sure you can contact them for info.

http://www.motoequip.com/
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

Thanks, I wasn't aware of those reflective kits.  Those together with some scuff protection on the top front would be great. 

I have a car (AMG CLA 45), but pretty much use a bike daily and would be nice to keep it in good nick.
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

realshelby wrote: High quality scuff protection is now available for our BMW side cases. Fernando has been making the reflective kits for years. Recently he introduced the clear scuff protectors for side cases. I don't think they are on the website, just went public about a month ago with them. I am sure you can contact them for info.

http://www.motoequip.com/

Yep - confirmed.  I contacted motoequip and they are about to launch scuff protection kits for the RT made from 3M material.  It will also cover the front of the bags for stone chip protection.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep - confirmed. I contacted motoequip and they are about to launch scuff protection kits for the RT made from 3M material. It will also cover the front of the bags for stone chip protection.

Wouldn't worry too much about stone chips on panniers.  Done about 100K miles in the last 20 years with pannier on.  No chips.
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

O2TheL wrote: Hi all - newbie here.  I'm a brit, but have lived in the US for 10 years.
I just picked up an '09 R1200RT from a friend of mine, after lusting after it for a few years.  I also have an '11 Ducati Diavel that I'll be keeping for days when I feel like  >:D

I brought and sold a V-Strom last year and a V-Rod the year before that.  Neither bike suited me for various reasons, but I can already tell that the RT will be staying longer (unless it makes sense to buy a newer one).

I love the ease of riding on the RT.  Brakes feel great, acceleration is OK (Ducati aside),handing is smooth and predicable on corners - all things that the V-Strom wasn't great at. 

Couple of questions:
- Is it typical to feel a vibration in the bars at around 80mph?  Not a huge issue, but could see that getting old on a long ride.
- Any tips for not scuffing the rear cases when mounting/dis-mounting - other than just getting used to swinging my legs over more?
- Is is possible to hook up an ipod or sat radio to speakers - or is it even worth it?  Typically use helmet mounted earphones.

Plan on doing some long rides and I think this might be the right tool for the job.

Thanks!

Lots of good advice there.  True that the '09 is a way different bike than the newer ones.  Mine is a '14 and rides like a dream.  Vibration on that bike can pretty much be eliminated by a short sequence of proper service.  I would start by taking a close look at your tires.  Many shops don't balance MC tires.  I just replaced a set while on a trip to SF and the shop there took the time to balance them well.  Since '09, depending on mileage, your bike may have had several new sets and may not have been balanced.  Have you had your drive train checked?

I take the time to do a good leg swing when mounting the bike.  I also got into the habit of turning the bars all the way to the right when I'm getting on.  It gives me a proper solid pull, especially when geared up with bulky cold and wet weather gear.  I also lean forward a bit as I mount up, which gives me a higher leg kick. I considered having paint protection film installed by "Line-X".  They quoted me about $200 for the job.  I can live with a few scuffs and scratched and if I keep the bile long enough it can be repainted.

... and of course you could get an aftermarket audio installed, although I'm not sure about who has systems for the '09.  My Garmin Nav V can do all that, as well as my iPhone, both of which I can bluetooth to my Sena SMH-10. 

Good Luck.