General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Parcel of trouble?

Post by David. »

The dealers were not in a position to say whether or not the claim would be accepted, it was forwarded to BMW Warranty Services for them to decide upon.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That is correct, having first investigated if there is a  legitimate claim.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
casper

Post by casper »

Gearbox problem.
As already said check and lubricate the gear linkage.

Fuel/starting problem.
Possibly fuel pump controller.
If it still has the original silver FPC, then these were prone to packing up.
Updated part is black and much more reliable.

Hope this helps.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The FPC recall goes back years. But bet your right.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:He once came to our house to complete some service items. Not sure if he still provides a mobile service.
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

Thought I'd update this thread in light of what's happened since last post.

Wheel flange replaced and the whole fuel pump replaced by Cooper BMW.

Serviced by Mick Kendrick inc change of transmission oil. He reports that whoever had done last service had probably just wiped the bike down with an oily rag and stamped the book. Bearing in mind it was (supposedly) serviced just 1,000 miles ago the plugs and filters were absolutely filthy. The oil filter was so rusty that it collapsed when Mick took it off. Mick said diagnostics showed no previous faults. Thought everything was going to be peachy after the service but it isn't.

Had a long ride out yesterday around N Yorks. Had done ~120 miles when I stopped for petrol in Pickering. Bike wouldn't restart. When it did it kept cutting out again as previously reported. This continued all the way through Pickering where there was lots of traffic. Once I got on the open road the bike was OK until I got to Whitby and more stop start in heavy traffic. Once again bike kept cutting out and now the oil low pressure warning light was on. Parked up and checked oil, which was fine as you'd expect just after a service.

Again when I got out of Whitby the bike was fine on the open road and now I was heading home. When I got home I turned ignition off while I went to get the garage key. On restatrting the bike I'm now getting rapid flashing of the brake failure light.

I wish I'd never seen this bike.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

lobdeggydog wrote: I wish I'd never seen this bike.

Don't blame you!

:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What did the service cost you.  Is what it's doing now the same as it was doing before the service?
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

@RTman10 Bike is cutting out as it was before the service. Low oil pressure warning light coming on and brake failure light coming on, which wasn't happening before service. It hasn't jumped out of gear since being serviced.

The warning lights and mebbe the cutting out seem to be symptoms of chip/sensor problems rather than actual low oil pressure and brake failure problems. There's the right amount of oil in the bike and the brakes seem fine. Surprised Mick's diagnostic machine didn't pick these up.

I'm just glad I didn't pay anything for this bike; it was given to me by my old man. He hasn't had any of these problems BTW but he hardly rode it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

lobdeggydog wrote:It hasn't jumped out of gear since being serviced.
What was done at the service to solve this problem.
lobdeggydog wrote:Bike is cutting out as it was before the service. Low oil pressure warning light coming on and brake failure light coming on, which wasn't happening before service. The warning lights and mebbe the cutting out seem to be symptoms of chip/sensor problems rather than actual low oil pressure and brake failure problems. Surprised Mick's diagnostic machine didn't pick these up.
Would be interesting to ask a BMW dealer to do a FOC diagnostic check & compare that to what Mick did with a GS-911 diagnostic tool.
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

It would be interesting to see what BMW diagnostics show but that would cost me and I'm not prepared to throw any more money at this bike.

Had a really good ride out through the dales the other day too. Bike handles really well for such a big 'un but when I stopped to fuel up I got the same symptoms as before. So from cold the bike is fine but when it's hot or low on fuel it cuts out. Could either of these things be the cause of it cutting out or is it something else? Could it be something to do with it being stood for so long? The furthest my old man rode it was ~60 miles at a time and he didn't see any of these symptoms. Also, he never rode it in town so didn't have the low speed stop/start conditions that I've put the bike through.

I could still use it and get used to the glitches but I can't trust it. What if the oil pressure really is low? What if the brakes really have failed? What if it jumps out of gear while I'm overtaking?

I definiteley can't use it for commuting.

Any further insights appreciated.
Last edited by lobdeggydog on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

The parcel of trouble is now someone elses puzzle to solve. Once I'd decided not to spend any more money on it there was only one other option really. I've traded it in for another bike (not a beemer - no nay never no more). The bike has gone and so am I.
Thanks for all your suggestions.