2014 6000 mile service

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest2360

Re: 2014 6000 mile service

Post by guest2360 »

If you are saying that if you had a warranty claim and that claim was rejected by BMW because your dealer had failed to comply with the service schedule I think that just would not happen.  In such  a case the dealer would be made responsible for the work. I suspect though you would never know about it as the next step would be a legal,one.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

All I know is the dealer said I have to have all the stamps in the book and they wouldn't stamp the book without them doing their bits for the 6k, even if they don't change the oil, they would still want £ to do the other checks, and to get the stamp and the service light reset, they do the 6k. Which is a bit contradictory, as they are doing the 6k and stamping the book, but not changing the oil, which is part of the service.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:So at the Feb service, at 3200, they could not have even reset so the service was shown at 9k, because it can't be done.
I am not having the oil changed, so Feb next year will be full annual service, if near to 12k, it will be combined, if not, then when I reach 12k, they will do the extra bits needed for the 12k.
Was the oil & filter changed in Feb. 2016 at 3,200 miles.

If so, are BMW saying that the bike can go from 3,200 miles to 12,000 miles without an oil & filter change.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Who's your crazy dealer who is willing to stamp up your book  having not done a very major part of any service. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:Bahnstortmer Alton
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your bike is about the same age as mine and guess what, the service light has been reset to go off 12 months or 6K for the last 3 services.  When the bike passed 6000 miles on the clock in May it didn't light up. This suggestion about the 6K point requiring a service irrespective of when it was previously serviced seems to have come to light only for you as nobody else on this forum have joined in the discussion. 
Strange or what.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Your bike is about the same age as mine and guess what, the service light has been reset to go off 12 months or 6K for the last 3 services.  When the bike passed 6000 miles on the clock in May it didn't light up. This suggestion about the 6K point requiring a service irrespective of when it was previously serviced seems to have come to light only for you as nobody else on this forum have joined in the discussion. 
Strange or what.

I hope your not suggesting I am making this up!! I am not lying, I will take a picture of the light if it will make you happier! Not going to bother posting anymore as this thread has gone as far as it can. I would think anyone who uses the same dealer as me will be having the same discussions. The service light re-setting piece was confirmed by CW Motorcycles who are supposed to be one of the top dealers.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Of course not.  It's just that it seems to have only happened to you (so far).  But as you say enough is enough.  Let's wait and see if it kicks off with anybody else. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the LC, the maintenance items (oils & serviceable parts) are due every 6K or 12K miles.

If the mileage interval isn't reached within 12 months, then, annually for engine oil or bi-annually for bevel gear oil, why, does oil deteriorate if not used?

The brake fluid, bi-annually after the first year, could be done in conjunction with the 6K or 12K service as time dictates.

Perhaps BMW might think of this idea one day.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have spoken to BMW technicians this morning to clarify what and what not they can do with the service light settings after a service.
Firstly the date.  This can be set manually but as we know is inevitably set 12 months in advance.
The mileage setting is done automatically by the system and cannot be altered manually.  This always sets itself 6000 miles ahead of the odometer reading. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Have spoken to BMW technicians this morning to clarify what and what not they can do with the service light settings after a service.
Firstly the date.  This can be set manually but as we know is inevitably set 12 months in advance.
The mileage setting is done automatically by the system and cannot be altered manually.  This always sets itself 6000 miles ahead of the odometer reading.

Did you ask if they can set this at anytime, as the two dealers told me they could only set this within x miles of the 6k, effectively stopping them setting it say 6k on from 3k to 9k. Unless that is a local rule.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They can't set the mileage at all.  When it's activated it always sets itself to come on just short of 6000 miles on from the current odometer reading.  Of course if only the date is set and the last setting was a total of 6000 + what the bike had done before its initial service that's when the light will come on.  That's the only reason I can think of that would have brought yours on after only about 2500 miles.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps this is the trick to get you to take your bike to the dealers every 6,000 miles, plus every 12 months.
Looks like the clock (odometer) starts ticking from day 1 & zero miles.
Would just seem to make sense to service the bike every 6,000 miles & be done with it, irrespective of the time period.

How long can bikes be sat in the showroom from manufacture to sale, should this time be included in the first 12 months time period.
Oils & brake fluid are added at the factory as the bikes are fired up before shipping to the dealers.
The clock should therefore start ticking from date of manufacture, not registration.
Last edited by David. on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Personally I have never complied with the "time" interval as stipulated by BMW. All my BMW's have been serviced at around 6000 mile intervals. My current bike should have been back at the dealers for a service last October according to the 12 months since the previous service doctrine. No way. Do dealers pull long standing used bikes from showrooms and put them through the workshop when a time calculated service is due !!.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quire agree with you, once every 6K should be enough as long as it's not sat for an extended period.  If you are still in the manufacturers warranty time or have paid for extended warranty that luxury is not available.