General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Suspension Query

Post by David. »

What is semi-active dynamic ESA & how does it work?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Go to BMW Motorrad UK and pull up the blurb on the LC. It was that bit of the rear shock that caused the recall,in June 14, or at least the rod that connected it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The LC has a WAD suspension element, http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/dk/da/index ... &notrack=1

Last edited by David. on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The LC has a WAD suspension element,

Don't think it's the WAD element that makes it semi active.  That just stops the system bottoming out.  The LC system reacts to changing road surfaces and as long as you don't set it up on Hard gives you a magic carpet ride (most of the time) The article explaining WAD shows it on bikes much earlier than the introduction of Dynamic ESA .
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA semi-active suspension for optimum riding dynamics in any situation is available as a factory option.

The semi-active suspension BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) maximizes riding safety, performance and comfort. Spring travel sensors at both the front and the rear monitor the vertical movements of the respective wheel suspension as well as collect further data, allowing the damping to be automatically adapted to riding situations and maneuvers.

Dynamic ESA is integrated into the riding mode control concept. It includes the same basic settings already familiar from the previous BMW ESA system for programming the damping level (soft, normal, hard) and load status (rider, rider with luggage, rider and passenger). As with the more advanced ESA II version, the spring preload and spring rate can also be adjusted. This alone is sufficient to ensure that the rider is able to enjoy optimum roadholding with highly communicative feedback irrespective of the load being carried.

The new BMW Dynamic ESA system offers a significant boost to safety by modifying the suspension set-up in such a way when braking and accelerating that the bike’s attitude on the road remains virtually unchanged while directional stability is greatly enhanced. As well as increasing safety and comfort, this also has the effect of making the R 1200 RT a real thrill to ride."

http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2014_bmw_r1200rt_info.htm
Last edited by David. on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There you go, a privileged lot us LC owners.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dynamic ESA

£ 755.00
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Ever get the feeling bikes are getting too complicated?
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

ds99 wrote: Ever get the feeling bikes are getting too complicated?
Yes, I agree with that. Technological advancements are great.....until they have been exposed to winter for a few years.
Still, I've always got my Triumph Tiger Cub. No electronics at all. Points and a condenser is as complex as it gets. Even the shocks are unadjustable:-)
ds99

Post by ds99 »

all these gadgets are great....on a bike under 4 years old (with a warranty), after that,...maybe not so.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Having read back over what's posted, I think the answer is "pre-load" is not being applied to the spring. What BMW refer to as the elastomer element (Cellasto), has the effect of increasing the effective length of the shock until the heavier payload is added. I assume the spring length does not alter.

Thinking back to the 2007 RT without ESA, "spring pre-load" was adjusted manually using a knob under the seat.
This action did not appear to alter the ride height.
Having read back through the thread, the above post by David just about makes the most sense to me. So thanks for all the opinions, guidance and patience from those who contributed, also richard !!. Next time I have my bike stripped for a good winter clean I intend to run the engine and watch the rear shock as a change of ESA setting is applied. It should be possible to observe any movements.
Thanks again.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:What is semi-active dynamic ESA & how does it work?
Some more info. from Cycle World on how Dynamic ESA works, http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/14/bm ... -explained
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Checked the "static sag" (without rider) on my 2012 TC RT in the three load settings.

Rider only = 429mm
Rider + Luggage = 432mm
2 Up + Luggage = 437mm

Not a great deal of difference, but at least it shows it's working.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

DaygloDavid wrote: Checked the "static sag" (without rider) on my 2012 TC RT in the three load settings.
Rider only = 429mm
Rider + Luggage = 432mm
2 Up + Luggage = 437mm
Not a great deal of difference, but at least it shows it's working.
David,
Did you just put the bike on the side stand with the engine running to check it?  I'd like to check mine.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:David,
Did you just put the bike on the side stand with the engine running to check it? I'd like to check mine.
Yes, the bike was on it's side stand with the engine running, I put some wood under the s/s to get the bike somewhere near vertical.

I used the top of final drive hub centre as a fixed point & put some masking tape vertically above it on the bodywork below the rear carrier.

Will be interesting to see what max. differential you get, mine was 8mm.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.