RT touring screen

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: RT touring screen

Post by Casbar »

bushbikie wrote: Can I make a suggestion? Before shelling out for a new screen wait until you get your bike and have had a chance to ride it for a while to see whether you want/need a larger screen. I'm 6'5" myself and I hardly ever raise the standard screen - I abhor the sense of riding in a what feels like a vacumn - it just doesn't feel "right" - I much prefer riding with the screen in it's home position and getting blasted by the wind, and yes the rain, across my upper chest. If I want to be out of the wind I'll drive my cage!  ;)

And if you're stuck in traffic and it's hissing down rain then no screen in the world, save for a bubble, is gunna keep you dry.  Maybe think about getting a set of wet weather gear - that can range from cheap plastic outers all the way up to the expensive Klims & BMW wet weather gear, and a bucket load of stuff in between. 

Oh, and congrats on your purchase - they are a brilliant bike! Enjoy the ride!

Thats a great philosophy until you have to ride in all weathers and then you will appreciate a good screen. Saturday and Sunday night it was raining really hard in the UK and quite bad winds, i had to re-supply the air ambulance with blood, both trips a 3.5 hour ride, I really appreciated the screen and am even considering the Werks screen now as the standard was good but could have been better. And I do have good textiles.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Casbar wrote: If your in the US, then Werks is a good price, if in the UK, then US shipping is of no consequence. Its the price of the screen + shipping that matters, try both companies.
True, but I was getting at the base price being higher because it included shipping to US customers. WERKS pricing will/should always be cheaper. No matter where it is shipped. If you find it is not, let me know and I can fix that! It is expensive to ship to the UK. For some reason about $15 US more than say to The Netherlands. WERKS has the 22" and 28" versions of the Quiet Ride as well as the 24" and 26".
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

Boroboystu wrote: Anyone know if you can get a taller screen for the new RT ? And the cost?
I won't get
My new bike until early May next year but I am quite tall at nearly 6ft 5
I got one of these from M&P, it's a bit taller and wider which has made a huge difference to silent riding :) It was £60 including delivery .... bargain :D
http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/defaul ... clear.html
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

realshelby wrote: True, but I was getting at the base price being higher because it included shipping to US customers. WERKS pricing will/should always be cheaper. No matter where it is shipped. If you find it is not, let me know and I can fix that! It is expensive to ship to the UK. For some reason about $15 US more than say to The Netherlands. WERKS has the 22" and 28" versions of the Quiet Ride as well as the 24" and 26".

When I asked about shipping from Werks, I was quoted, the base price for US customers (which I assume includes US Shipping plus $70 for shipping. Therefore if the other company who makes the screen is selling at a lower base price (because no US Shipping included) but UK Shipping is still around $70, then they are slightly cheaper. I have asked them for shipping costs so I can compare.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Well said Sir. 
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Casbar wrote:
When I asked about shipping from Werks, I was quoted, the base price for US customers (which I assume includes US Shipping plus $70 for shipping. Therefore if the other company who makes the screen is selling at a lower base price (because no US Shipping included) but UK Shipping is still around $70, then they are slightly cheaper. I have asked them for shipping costs so I can compare.

Well, I was trying to make easy to understand. Let me say it another way. It does NOT cost $70 US to ship to the UK. It costs around $100 to ship a windshield to the UK. So since WERKS has some built in shipping costs in their advertised price to cover US customers, they don't add the full value of actual shipping costs to the UK or other International destinations.

WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

realshelby wrote:
Well, I was trying to make easy to understand. Let me say it another way. It does NOT cost $70 US to ship to the UK. It costs around $100 to ship a windshield to the UK. So since WERKS has some built in shipping costs in their advertised price to cover US customers, they don't add the full value of actual shipping costs to the UK or other International destinations.

Thanks for clarifying.
SilverFox
Great Britain

Post by SilverFox »

Ztechnik, a US company, do great screens. Their biggest screen (z2351) is28.50" (72.4cm)  high,  20.50" (52.2cm)  wide.It's made from  4.5mm  Polycarbonate.
They have a UK stockist (see link below). I have their z2350 screen and am very pleased with it.
UK price for the large screen is I believe £152.80 plus VAT. Not cheap but excellent quality.

http://bmw-windshields.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p513_bmw-r1200rt-2014-up-windshield-z2351-windscreenvstreamtouring.html
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

SilverFox wrote: Ztechnik, a US company, do great screens. Their biggest screen (z2351) is28.50" (72.4cm)  high,  20.50" (52.2cm)  wide.It's made from  4.5mm  Polycarbonate.
They have a UK stockist (see link below). I have their z2350 screen and am very pleased with it.
UK price for the large screen is I believe £152.80 plus VAT. Not cheap but excellent quality.

http://bmw-windshields.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p513_bmw-r1200rt-2014-up-windshield-z2351-windscreenvstreamtouring.html[/font]

Read some reviews on other forums and that screen doesn't get nearly as good reviews as the Werks or CBs. It seems to get quiet you have to look through the screen, which would not work for me, I like to look over a screen.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's a strange size.  52cm is the same width as the standard OEM screen and much narrower than the BMW touring screen.  It's tall enough to stand behind though.  I would not see over it in its down position.I have been led to believe it's the extra width at the top of the screen that makes all the difference.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I have a Vstream screen and it's better than the stock screen, but.... it creates a vacuum and "sucks" me forward at speeds over 50 mph, which can get quite uncomfortable.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

This all sounds a bit hypothetical. He doesn't plan on buying a bike until next may, a lot can happen in eight months.

Wait until you've ridden the bike before you decide what's wrong with it and what needs changing. Who knows it may be perfect as it is - if you actually get one.

Noel

Post by Noel »

MacJ wrote:Wait until you've ridden the bike before you decide what's wrong with it and what needs changing. Who knows it may be perfect as it is - if you actually get one.

Sage wisdom.  6' 3 1/4" w/o shoes, I find the OEM screen perfect FOR ME.  This being said, I ride in a climate that makes air flow during warmer weather critically important.  Plus, I ride w/ quality ear plugs almost always unless only a short hop.  On a 9,163m trip this summer thru the US we hit one heavy rain and t-storm that lasted about an hour, and this was at the tail end of an 8h riding day, and we were close enough to the end of the day to get teased into NOT changing into something more rain friendly, in fact I didn't even zip up the multiple vents on jacket and pants in a 4-season set of gear.  Got moist right where the vents were was about it and there were a total of 8 large vents that were open to air/rain.  I do not want a screen that doesn't let ample air in when the screen is in the low position, and I use the full range of positions w/ my '16 RT screen.

I think when the screen is worn to the point of replacement which may be never I will be looking for someone's newish OEM screen and it appears they can be had on eBay for reasonable prices by folks who didn't cotton to it.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

The Wethead RT doesn't come with a bad windshield from the factory. If you are used to other bikes, bikes with lesser wind management to start with, or bikes with BAD aero qualities, you will think the RT windshield to be quite good.
But don't let that improvement blind you to what CAN be improved with an aftermarket windshield. Even BMW offers an optional windshield. If you have ever had a bike with a truly good aero package you will know what to look for on the next bike. Until you try a different windshield there is simply no way to know what you are missing!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

realshelby wrote: The Wethead RT doesn't come with a bad windshield from the factory. If you are used to other bikes, bikes with lesser wind management to start with, or bikes with BAD aero qualities, you will think the RT windshield to be quite good.
But don't let that improvement blind you to what CAN be improved with an aftermarket windshield. Even BMW offers an optional windshield. If you have ever had a bike with a truly good aero package you will know what to look for on the next bike. Until you try a different windshield there is simply no way to know what you are missing!

Especially as you sell Werks windshields. I think to say its bad is a bit of leap. For 1000's the windshield is absolutely fine. I would consider another, but its not high on the list, especially with the cost in the UK  8)