Garmin Basecamp Very Difficult to Use

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
guest2360

Re: Garmin Basecamp Very Difficult to Use

Post by guest2360 »

Sam De Rycke wrote: I use this online tool : http://www.ridewithgps.com

It is free!

So is BaseCamp.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I regularly produce gpx files for tours and always use BaseCamp.  For non direct routes I select waypoints along the route I want to produce. It's them a simple task to create the route using the Route Tool.  Having made it I then delete all the waypoints I don't intend to stop at.  The route stays the same.  I was going to attach a file with various routes on it for a recent tour we did to Orkney but the system said no.  If you want to see whats easily done just using BaseCamp send me a pm and I will email the file .
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: That happened because you had programmed it to  follow a series of points and then went off route. It was just trying to get you back to the first one you missed,  The solution is easy,
Having created the route in Bsecamp you then delete all the waypoints you don't want to stop at and then transfer it all to the Nav V.

If you end up bypassing a waypoint, an icon with a looping arrow appears on the nav.  If you click it, it knows to skip and then proceeds to the next one.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Never seen that, then again I never miss a waypoint as I've deleted them.  Have to have a go at that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: Never seen that, then again I never miss a waypoint as I've deleted them.  Have to have a go at that.

I discovered it quite by accident, but it does work (At least on the newest Nav V).  While navigating, there is always a red X icon that allows you to cancel the route.  If you miss a turn, or otherwise skip a waypoint, another icon will appear directly above the red X.  Pressing that tells it to ignore and proceed to the next waypoint.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Got it.  Have a look when my afternoon brandy coke has worn off. Cheers.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I also have had GREAT difficulty using base camp
Found it much easier to plan out route on paper then enter waypoints as my destination, once reaching first point enter next and so forth, not the best solution but it works for me
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Try to do that in UK, you would never get anywhere surely you would be better off with a map and a list of towns or road numbers.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I agree Basecamp is a PITA. However once you have mastered Basecamp its not that bad. One point to watch out for is be very careful when placing waypts. I put one on the road into Calais ferry port and the time and mileage was way off. When I zoomed in it was obvious what I had done. The waypt was on the wrong carriageway and the stupid program thought I wanted to take the ferry back to Blighty and then back to Calais ! Waypts are very useful just zoom in before placing. I have found placing waypts at junctions to force the route to go the way I wanted is easier than trying to drag the route. Dragging sometimes does weird things.

Once you have made a route in Basecamp and transferred it to your device, turn off - 'Off Route Recalculation' in the Navigation Settings. If you don't do this then when riding the route if you miss a turn your SatNav will recalculate a new route to your next waypt based on your Calculation Mode, thus destroying your planned Basecamp route. With Off Route Recalculation turned off you have to get yourself back onto the planned route if you miss a turn.
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't think my V does that.  If I leave a saved route for any reason it will attempt to recalculate back onto that route.  If however you have missed a waypoint on your detour the recalculation will take you back to that waypoint in the first instance. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Don't think my V does that.  If I leave a saved route for any reason it will attempt to recalculate back onto that route.  If however you have missed a waypoint on your detour the recalculation will take you back to that waypoint in the first instance.

Will have to try that on my V. My 350LM on my other bike certainly does behave in this way.
JustKrusen

Post by JustKrusen »

RTman10 wrote: Don't think my V does that.  If I leave a saved route for any reason it will attempt to recalculate back onto that route.  If however you have missed a waypoint on your detour the recalculation will take you back to that waypoint in the first instance.
Yes the Nav V, Zumo 350 & most Zumo's let you turn off Route recalculation.  Turning it off is the best way to keep the units from screwwing up your routes.  The skip button works great on both of those units also.
Ed Kruse  2016 R1200RT Naples FL
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mine has always been set on Automatic and doesn't seem to recalculate the set route if I inadvertently leave it.

guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

I used basecamp to create a 250 mile route for a camping trip in a national forest.  I wanted to stay off the interstate and stick to secondary roads.  Lots of turns involved and switching from road to road.  The first time I missed a turn my Garmin tried to send me on a 100 mile detour to the nearest interstate.  I'm not sure yet, but I think there's an option of exporting a trip to a route that has to be accomplished once the trip is downloaded to the Garmin.  If you miss a waypoint you have to bring up the list and select the next waypoint, otherwise it will send you back.  I haven't tried deleting waypoints along a route.  If I sound confused it's because I am. 
Nardowell

Post by Nardowell »

After hours and hours of working with Basecamp, watching tutorials and trying to get it to work, it was still hard to manage and get to work.

When I found Motogoloco, my frustration was over.

It took one short evening for me to start making routes and downloading them.  The routes work great on my Nav 5.

Peace