RT v GS

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

Re: RT v GS

Post by Boroboystu »

I went to Barry robbsons motorcycles in York yesterday, unfortunately they didn't have a liquid cooled RT demonstrator in but they did have a GS Adventure , I must admit I felt I had more leg room on the GS and although I had set my heart on the RT there might be a new GS Adventure on the cards , I want to ride both on the same day then make up my mind
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

If you liked the GSA, you should try the standard GS.  For normal riders doing normal riding it's a way better bike (IMHO).

Lighter, quicker, more agile etc etc

Only downside I can see is less wind/weather protection but that's not hard to fix...
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

I like the adventure, plus I might be able to do a bit of off road riding , I like the 30 litre fuel tank not really bothered about the extra weight ! It's still lighter than the RT
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Boroboystu wrote: I like the adventure, plus I might be able to do a bit of off road riding , I like the 30 litre fuel tank not really bothered about the extra weight ! It's still lighter than the RT

The real-world weight difference is marginal because the RT figures include panniers but the GSA exclude them.  It's quoted as about 15kg from memory but I'd hazard a guess that the panniers account for 75% of that.

Have ridden both GS and GSA extensively off-road (or at least for several thousand miles of gravel and sand in Alaska, Iceland and Namibia) if you're serious about off-road, unless you ride like a god, whatever you do, don't go for the GSA.  The GS is genuinely 20kg+ lighter and way more handleable than a GSA as soon as you get into anything that isn't tarmac.

Oh - and you need to be a circus strongman to pick a loaded GSA up.

Of course, if none of that practical stuff matters and you just like the looks of the GSA, buy one!  Interestingly, there's a triple black GSA with (black) GS vario panniers (as opposed to the silly aluminium ones) for sale on UKGSer and it looks FABULOUS.

;) ;)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you want the GS buy it. Ride the RT. But if your sniff road person go for it. Although I would also lol at the Africa twin
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

My reasoning is the sheer look of the GSA and black panniers would be good it also has a more useable fuel tank of 30 litres so a range of over 300 miles ,  as I say I am going test ride both bikes , I still have my heart set on the black RT but it all comes down to comfort in the end , I am a. If guy at 6ft 4 18 stone and a 33 inch inside leg so I will order what feels right on the day
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Boroboystu wrote: I went to Barry robbsons motorcycles in York yesterday, unfortunately they didn't have a liquid cooled RT demonstrator in but they did have a GS Adventure , I must admit I felt I had more leg room on the GS and although I had set my heart on the RT there might be a new GS Adventure on the cards , I want to ride both on the same day then make up my mind
Just a small correction required here. It's "Barrie Robson". (Hope you don't mind)
Rols

Post by Rols »

I test rode both. Both are fantastic bikes. I found the screen better on the RT (less buffering), and on the GS there was an annoying zizzing from the front tyre. So I bought an RT. Not looking like the bike equivalent of a Chelsea tractor was just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

What does a Chelsea tractor look like?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not so much looks as function. Nobody sensible goes off road on a GSA
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Boroboystu wrote: I went to Barry robbsons motorcycles in York yesterday, unfortunately they didn't have a liquid cooled RT demonstrator in but they did have a GS Adventure , I must admit I felt I had more leg room on the GS and although I had set my heart on the RT there might be a new GS Adventure on the cards , I want to ride both on the same day then make up my mind
Indeed the only person who can make this decision is you and the best way to do that is to ride them back to back.
I chose the RT because I like to be able to move the screen about mid-ride on the motorway etc. without having to pull over. In addition I wanted the radio, better weather protection and slim (after market) pannier lids as I use my bike most days for commuting. At 6'4" I felt the need to fit; a taller screen, foot rest lowing kit and bar-baks in order to get the bike just the way I wanted so there are lots of options to make either bike "fit" you better if needed.
I have to say I like the GS a lot and when my wife had hers (2004-6) I always looked for an excuse to take it out, and "top fill" panniers are so much better than "side-spill".
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Never thought about lowering the foot pegs ! But how low can you go ? For ground clearance! You can adjust the screen on the GS with a knob with your left hand , I tried it on the move yesterday, plenty of time to make my decision and won't be doing much more riding this year now anyway
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's a shame.  The suspense is killing me. Hate to think how much they will cost next year as they are both a bit like Marmite.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

2017 bikes have come down in. Price actually!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMW historically increase their price in January.  Interested to know who told you there has been a price decrease this year.