Back to an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
tony23

Back to an RT

Post by tony23 »

New member so Hi to all.

After 3 years on a K1600gt Ive decided to return to the RT. Returned from a 2 week trip to the Picos 3 weeks ago and for the first time I began to question the weight of the 1600, I was more aware of it than I had been in the past, I just didnt seem to gel with it anymore :(

So have now placed order for a new Rt Le in Carbon Black with topbox and dynamic package from Rainbow BMW. No audio as I rarely used it on the 1600.
Wasn`t too sure until I test rode the RT, Ive had 2 in the past, but after an hour or so I felt at home and the difference in weight was a joy.
I did visit the dealer south of Rainbow who despite holding a vip event were less than helpfull so I had a run up to Rotherham BMW and they were excellent.
Should be picking up end of month all being well.
STeinar

Re: Back to an RT

Post by STeinar »

Welcome in the K6=>RT club - I still miss the K6 engine, but feel far more home on the RT  :)
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I did the same, fabulous engine in the 1600 but ropey gearbox, the weight caused it to shred a set of PR4s on on trip to Spain, the steering needed all new joints as well. The RT is a delight, not as smooth, but easier to ride as it will change direction so easily. Good choice of colour, wish they did black wheels as well. Enjoy.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Welcome to the club.

Have just bought a new RT at the weekend as well
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

tony23 wrote:I did visit the dealer south of Rainbow who despite holding a vip event were less than helpfull so I had a run up to Rotherham BMW and they were excellent.
Which BMW dealer is South of Rainbow in Rotherham.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum :)
tony23

Post by tony23 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Which BMW dealer is South of Rainbow in Rotherham.
Not made myself too clear on that one but it was Pidcocks Nottingham. Didn`t find them helpfull at all to be honest.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Was it a part swap they weren't interested in.  1600s can be difficult to move on as the LC has killed the appeal somewhat.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Did the same dance last year
No regrets
Jim
tony23

Post by tony23 »

RTman10 wrote: Was it a part swap they weren't interested in.  1600s can be difficult to move on as the LC has killed the appeal somewhat.
Maybe it was, but difficult to tell really. I think it was a general sense of apathy I picked up on, they just didn`t seem all that interested. I was promised a callback with some figures but that never materialised. Maybe I caught them on a bad day but whatever it was it cost them a sale.
Rainbow were the total opposite, a cup of coffee and a sit down with the sales team to discuss my options. They then ran some numbers for me and after that handed me the keys to a brand new Rt for a 2 hour test ride.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Welcome to the forum :)
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Welcome to the Back to Boxer club! I went from the R1200C to huge Harleys for four years and while I liked them the weight grew heavy on me. Going from a 900 pound bike to the 600 pound RT, it feels like riding a scooter. But mostly I just missed the Boxer engine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Tony
Do you mind me asking what you paid for new RT ? Do they differ from dealership or will they haggle ?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Boroboystu wrote: Tony
Do you mind me asking what you paid for new RT ? Do they differ from dealership or will they haggle ?

Unlike cars, there isn't a great deal of haggle/wiggle room on BMW bikes, I've bought enough bikes from my dealer they give me the best price up front, on my RT it was $500 off plus incentives, in my case another 500 back from BMW
Always check the incentives, at least here in US, usually a discount for military/first responders. Although with .9 percent financing incentives may have dried up
Another option is to ask for free accessories, my buddy paid list price and they gave him the large top case free, always ask for free run in service

Jim
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Boroboystu wrote: Tony
Not a lot of haggling available on the new bike, had more luck with the trade in value. I think a lot depends on their sales figures and also time of year can make a difference in my experience with often better deals to be had Dec / Jan than summer months. Not got the paperwork yet but about £16300 with dynamic package,no audio.
They were interested in selling me a used model but I found a better deal could be done on new.