Back to an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Back to an RT

Post by Peter Baker »

Made the same move K1600 to R1200 and very happy I did, there will never be another straight 6 like the K and I really do love that engine!  The weight was OK one up on days out but touring 2 up with luggage it was heavy for the smaller roads I like!  But what a great choice of bikes we have to ride these days!  Peter
Noel

Post by Noel »

STeinar wrote: Welcome in the K6=>RT club - I still miss the K6 engine, but feel far more home on the RT  :)
Logical choice if you like the K6 engine and prefer less weight but aren't married to BMW is the new FJR1300ES.  More sport ergos but very smooth and powerful, ultra-reliable, handles like a dream in the twisties or the freeway, and costs quite a bit less than a new RT.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

According to Yamaya it weighs 291kg and does 36mpg.  Panniers look like glove compartments.  No wonder it's cheap.
Noel

Post by Noel »

RTman10 wrote: According to Yamaya it weighs 291kg and does 36mpg.  Panniers look like glove compartments.  No wonder it's cheap.

Well let's see it's 40lbs heavier than RT and 86lbs lighter than K1600GT, gets real world mpg of around 44, has excellent side cases that you can actually use the full storage capacity and yes it's about $5K 'cheaper' than GT.  Ultra reliable, serious P:W, ultra smooth, handles like a dream.  But none of that would matter to RTcontrary10, right?  Yep :enjoying:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Real world mpg on my RT over 60.  10K in 2 years which is all mine has done would make the Yam nearly unsaleable to a UK dealer . So your right. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Noel wrote:
Well let's see it's 40lbs heavier than RT and 86lbs lighter than K1600GT, gets real world mpg of around 44, has excellent side cases that you can actually use the full storage capacity and yes it's about $5K 'cheaper' than GT.  Ultra reliable, serious P:W, ultra smooth, handles like a dream.  But none of that would matter to RTcontrary10, right?  Yep :enjoying:

We have just got a new Yam as a blood bike. It's ok, I still prefer the RT. but it was cheap. Will let you know how reliable it is
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Went into main BMW dealer yesterday said I was interested in a new RT full spec , a few quid short of 20k Asked if I would get the bike any cheaper if I bought the bike in the winter instead of the summer , the answe was basically no ! No insentive realy , I am not going bro buy a new bike today only to put it in the garage for six months
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Boroboystu wrote: Went into main BMW dealer yesterday said I was interested in a new RT full spec , a few quid short of 20k Asked if I would get the bike any cheaper if I bought the bike in the winter instead of the summer , the answe was basically no ! No insentive realy , I am not going bro buy a new bike today only to put it in the garage for six months

Check back with dealer in January when there sales figures are low, you may find them more accommodating. I've done it several times and always managed to get a good deal, also visit more than one dealer, some are more willing than others.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Noel wrote:

I had an fjr for a year, admittedly not the latest version , and traded it for an RT
Engine was good but only 5 speed box , always looking for 6th gear. Handled ok ish but rear shock was hopeless two up. Yam also advised against using top box and panniers together. My k16 was a far superior bike in my opinion. A decent bike but it wasn't for me.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Boroboystu wrote: Went into main BMW dealer yesterday said I was interested in a new RT full spec , a few quid short of 20k Asked if I would get the bike any cheaper if I bought the bike in the winter instead of the summer , the answe was basically no ! No insentive realy , I am not going bro buy a new bike today only to put it in the garage for six months

Think I've mentioned this before.  BMW normally have their annual price increase in January.  With the £ against the Euro rate being what it is today compared to what it was last January expect to pay considerably more for one next year.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

I also own a FJR, 2003 model and member of FJ/FJR biker forum, some bikes on there have covered 250,000 miles. It is very rare that these bikes develop problems if serviced correctly (not all main dealers do this believe it or not). On a run it averages around 60mpg (same as I get from my RT). The 'advice' that  Mr Yamaha offers with regard to no top box if panniers fitted, relates to the standard rack which on very rare occasions has been known to fracture if carrying a lot of weight. Aftermarket rack and box such as Givi, no problem.
Noel

Post by Noel »

tony23 wrote:
I had an fjr for a year, admittedly not the latest version , and traded it for an RT
Engine was good but only 5 speed box , always looking for 6th gear. Handled ok ish but rear shock was hopeless two up. Yam also advised against using top box and panniers together. My k16 was a far superior bike in my opinion. A decent bike but it wasn't for me.

FJR as you should know has ample grunt and smooth motor so looking for 6th gear is not exactly required to smooth performance.  Just translates to less shifting in the canyons.  They did add 6th in 2016 presumably because people used to 6 gears had trouble adjusting.  But in the end, if you don't need it, it's just more shifting.  Electronic suspension was improved greatly in I think 2014.  Fabulous machine, especially for the $$.  Ultra reliable--lots of IB riders use them.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Casbar wrote:
We have just got a new Yam as a blood bike. It's ok, I still prefer the RT. but it was cheap. Will let you know how reliable it is

What's a 'blood bike'?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Methos1979 wrote:
What's a 'blood bike'?

In the U.K we have a national charity which supplies a service for delivering blood to hospitals and air ambulances out of hours. They also deliver baby milk, samples and basically anything that can be carried on a bike. Some regions members use their own bikes for non urgent jobs, but nearly all have a fleet of marked bikes with blue lights and two tones. These bikes are now government approved for use as a blood bike. The Yam FJR is on the approved list.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Picked her up today :)

Attachments
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1897.JPG