Exhaust Flap 2014 RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Exhaust Flap 2014 RT

Post by Casbar »

Bike was at the dealer today, its done 6000 miles and is 2 months out of warranty although I do have the extended warranty. Sir your exhaust flap is broken, that will be £1300 to fix, and its not covered by the extended warranty. They will speak to BMW but don't hold out much hope  :(  The I was talking to, said if he was paying for it, he wouldn't bother as its only to do with emissions. So what do you guys think, is there any issue not fixing it, if Mr BMW doesn't help? Apparently a common problem.
guest2360

Re: Exhaust Flap 2014 RT

Post by guest2360 »

The flap is to do with noise levels.  Out of interest when was your bike first registered. I would also read your extended warranty book to see where it excludes exhaust parts.Aldo ask them what is broken on it.  Yes they have been known to stick and the cables can be effected by corrosion but £1300, for what.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just spoken to my dealer.  The flap is now built into the down pipes and yes the exhaust system is not covered by extended warranty.  So to fix it the whole system needs to be replaced.  I can confirm though that it's only there to allow the bike to conform  with production noise levels.  It has no effect on performance or emissions.  Just ignor it. The bike will just be a little quieter when you wind it up.
Mind you is this the same workshop that told you it needed a service 2500 miles after they had done one.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The exhaust flap is indeed part of the exhaust manifold & costs over £1,000 to replace.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks chaps. Yes same workshop, who today did my 6k service without oil for free and stamped my book. But now I have this issue  :)  I suppose I could replace the headers for circa £600 and get rid of the cat, but then I would need it re-mapping and would pretty much stuff re-sale. The bike is running fine, so if they won't pay for it, I might just ignore it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Hang on a minute. Your book now shows you had a 6K done but no oil was changed as they did that at about 3500 miles. What have they put in the book about when your next service, hopefully with an oil change is due and at what mileage. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the bike is running fine, presumably the exhaust flap is stuck in the fully open position.

Removing the silencer & having a look will confirm the situation.

This thread discusses the exhaust flap on a pre-LC RT, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=13704#p13704
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Hang on a minute. Your book now shows you had a 6K done but no oil was changed as they did that at about 3500 miles. What have they put in the book about when your next service, hopefully with an oil change is due and at what mileage.

So book now says, next service 12k or 20/02/17, annual. Which if I do more than 9k before the 20/02, then the oil will have been in since 3100 miles so over 6k. You couldn't write this stuff! I will keep an eye on it, and if I get to 9k before the annual, i'll get the oil and filter changed again. Bloody nightmare.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If it was me there would be an Email to BMW Customer services that went.
Had a service done at 3100.
Now had another one done at 6000 as instructed by my dealer but no oil change done.
Been told next service due st 12000 miles. 
Can you confirm that 8900 miles between oil changed will not invalidate my warranty.
Watch the s..t hit the fan.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'll see how the exhaust valve thingy conversation goes first  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Probably the right move and you should also ask them the explain the oil change mileage deficiency as you can then pass on their explanation to BMW. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Is the exhaust flap part of the emission system?
Not sure about UK but in the US 50,000 mile warranty if it is
Most aftermarket headers do away with it totally, Just saying!!
As a side note if it's failed in open position, does the bike sound better off the line?
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This article suggests the exhaust flap has more influence than just noise levels, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stro ... lve_system

It "ensures superior low to mid-range performance, more linear power output and reduced exhaust noise levels while the valve is in its reduced opening position."
Casbar wrote:The I was talking to, said if he was paying for it, he wouldn't bother as its only to do with emissions.
How can the valve have any effect on emissions?
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

T6pilot wrote: Is the exhaust flap part of the emission system?
Not sure about UK but in the US 50,000 mile warranty if it is
Most aftermarket headers do away with it totally, Just saying!!
As a side note if it's failed in open position, does the bike sound better off the line?

To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference, didn't know it wasn't working. I do have the Akra silencer though, so it sounds louder than standard. The tech guy said if he had to pay for it, he wouldn't bother, so it doesn't seem to be doing much. It must be stuck open, I will take the silencer off and have a look once I know if BMW are going to help with the cost, or I am on my own. If its not an issue, then I'll just leave it. Aftermarket headers do away with it and the cat, seems Remus do a system for around £650. But I would need the bike mapped, and would probably mess up any trade in opportunities unless I returned it to standard.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Revzilla quote that the static noise level at 3875 RPM is the same for the stock exhaust & the akrapovic at 93 dB.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akra ... -2014-2016