Top box

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

Top box

Post by Boroboystu »

Just priced up a top box today at York BMW , if you want colour coded box with central locking , you will
Be paying a cool £1300
Maz12

Re: Top box

Post by Maz12 »

That's crazy money
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Boroboystu wrote: Just priced up a top box today at York BMW , if you want colour coded box with central locking , you will
Be paying a cool £1300

...and that is why the top-box of my faithful 2005 RT sits atop my LC, having been re-keyed and resprayed to match the new machine.

I would rather have a Givi Maxia with remote locking than pay that money.
John Bentall
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Boroboystu wrote: Just priced up a top box today at York BMW , if you want colour coded box with central locking , you will
Be paying a cool £1300

Check out KFM Motorrader online.  You will get significant discount for OEM parts, but you will need to paint it yourself.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Rip off price.  Did you ask them what the box cost out of the box.  Seems they have added about £3 to £400 to paint the lid.  As has been pointed out you are not buying for another 8 months. Dealer might come to his senses by then.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

RTman10 wrote: Rip off price.  Did you ask them what the box cost out of the box.  Seems they have added about £3 to £400 to paint the lid.  As has been pointed out you are not buying for another 8 months. Dealer might come to his senses by then.
I was qouted £150 to have topbox painted at Rainbow ,a more reasonable price in my opinion.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So don't buy it then.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I didn't want the large box so bought the small 29L from long beach bmw in California
My go to dealer $445 out the door with keyed lock. Large box was in the $1200 price range, not including electronic lock
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Small OEM case is a good buy if you don't need the extra space.  Looks better on the LC , doesn't need painting, but none of do really, and it takes a helmet . Mine is now on bike No 5 and is as good as new.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Across the Pond the big current version RT top case can be bought for about $1250 US. You can have them painted at any auto body shop for under $150. I paid $60 to colour match mine. The ONLY reason I bought the newest version instead of the previous model ( about half the cost ) was that the dealer simply gave me way more for my trade in than I expected! I thought I would put some of that windfall into the case.

I am glad I did now. I love the gas springs to hold the lid up. I like the looks very much, they fit the lines of the new Wethead better than the old style box would have. I installed Skene lights in it for running and brakes. It never comes off. Very much room, more than I am used to. Now it would he hard to do without. But, yes, it is absolutely overpriced!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

I was quoted £250 to have it painted
Don't think I will bother , if I need extra room on trips I will use the 55 litre Givi that I already own and buy a converter plate
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Boroboystu wrote: I was quoted £250 to have it painted
Don't think I will bother , if I need extra room on trips I will use the 55 litre Givi that I already own and buy a converter plate

That's going to be a pretty sight stuck on the back of a £16K bike.  Don't want to spoil you plans but I know of instances of large aftermarket top boxes causing vibration and instability problem as they sit further back than the proper one.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I've got a Givi Maxia. Brilliant box. Sits further forward than OEM - so no vibration issues. Better aerodynamics and looks sleeker as well IMO. Can't see the value in the BMW box.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mike wrote: I've got a Givi Maxia. Brilliant box. Sits further forward than OEM - so no vibration issues. Better aerodynamics and looks sleeker as well IMO. Can't see the value in the BMW box.

And there's room for the pillion passenger.?
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Yes ( and that's from an old K1200RS rider). Basically the box sits in exactly the same location. The only difference is the size of the pillion pad/back rest. The OEM has thinner pad.