Gearbox Oil Twincam RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Gearbox Oil Twincam RT

Post by David. »

There is a lot of discussion on other forums to "suggest" that OEM BMW Synthetic OSP is relabelled Castrol SAF-XO. Also that the Castrol SAF-XO is factory fit. In 2010 when I bought my first Camhead, the supplying dealer gave me a BMW motorcycle lubricant recommendation chart. At the time, BMW recommended Castrol, EPX 80W-90 for the gear box and SAF-XO for the final drive. I believe the recommendation is now to use 75W-90 SAF-XO for both applications. Makes sense as 1 litre is sufficient for the gear box and final drive oil changes.

If the Castrol SAF-XO (or new equivalent) had been available when required, I would have bought it. On this occasion, I'll use Liqui Moly, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

After Castrol, Shell became the BMW preferred oil supplier. I don't think BMW make their own oil, Advantec (engine oil) is made by Shell.
Dreadnought
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Dreadnought »

David. wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:58 pm There is a lot of discussion on other forums to "suggest" that OEM BMW Synthetic OSP is relabelled Castrol SAF-XO. Also that the Castrol SAF-XO is factory fit. In 2010 when I bought my first Camhead, the supplying dealer gave me a BMW motorcycle lubricant recommendation chart. At the time, BMW recommended Castrol, EPX 80W-90 for the gear box and SAF-XO for the final drive. I believe the recommendation is now to use 75W-90 SAF-XO for both applications. Makes sense as 1 litre is sufficient for the gear box and final drive oil changes.

If the Castrol SAF-XO (or new equivalent) had been available when required, I would have bought it. On this occasion, I'll use Liqui Moly, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

After Castrol, Shell became the BMW preferred oil supplier. I don't think BMW make their own oil, Advantec (engine oil) is made by Shell.
Who suggested BMW make their own oil, you missed the point
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »