Holding in first gear

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mhr43

Holding in first gear

Post by mhr43 »

I don't want to start another debate about gear change  noises, but if stopped at traffic lights etc, I tend to hold the bike in first gear- clutch in,  for maybe up to a minute to avoid the gear crunch from neutral. Any longer than a minute I do slip into neutral. Is holding in first gear for short periods doing any harm to the clutch? 
falconmick

Re: Holding in first gear

Post by falconmick »

In brief - no.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

No. I never put my bike in neutral at a light. Ever. In fact, the only time I put the bike in neutral is when I shut it off.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I do the same
Sometimes when holding I will shift to second gear, ease the clutch out a bit then shift to nuturel, this seems to lessen the expected crunch when shifting back to first
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I always put it in neutral.  The crunch doesn't seem too bad on my bike, or maybe I have just gotten used to it.  The traditional advice on a car was that it wears the "throwout" bearing to leave the clutch engaged excessively.  I don't know if that applies here, and I'm not saying it does, but I don't want to take any chances. 

The other reason I like to be in neutral is just to avoid any chance of my fingers slipping and lurching into the intersection. 
BMW MOA #210438
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

I guess I should clarify two things: The 'wait time' at the average intersection here is short. I imagine that if I was waiting a long time and my hand was tiring then I might shift to neutral. The other issue is a training one: I was always taught to stay in gear because if you suddenly notice someone careening at you out of control you'll need to move quick so it's better to already be in gear and go!
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Methos1979 wrote: I guess I should clarify two things: The 'wait time' at the average intersection here is short. I imagine that if I was waiting a long time and my hand was tiring then I might shift to neutral. The other issue is a training one: I was always taught to stay in gear because if you suddenly notice someone careening at you out of control you'll need to move quick so it's better to already be in gear and go!

Yes, you make a good point, it is a trade-off being able to escape danger quickly.  I also should clarify, I don't *always* go into neutral, it depends on how long the light is, and where I'm at within a line of vehicles.  If you are the first in line at an intersection, your odds of needing to escape quickly are higher than if you are vehicle #6 in a line of 10 vehicles.
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Methos1979 wrote:The other issue is a training one: I was always taught to stay in gear because if you suddenly notice someone careening at you out of control you'll need to move quick so it's better to already be in gear and go!
In the UK, the IAM manual says,

Using neutral

"Select neutral only when virtually at a standstill. Always do it when at rest for any appreciable time, to avoid wearing out the clutch components and actuating mechanism by running the engine with the first gear engaged while waiting to move off again. Inexperienced motorcyclists tend to hold the clutch lever in the withdrawn position for long periods while waiting to move off."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still a grey area when they use words like appreciable. For me it's a minute or so.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:The other reason I like to be in neutral is just to avoid any chance of my fingers slipping and lurching into the intersection.
Looking back at this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=4, it's also good practice when stationary to show a brake light & cover the rear brake.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looking back at this thread, viewtopic.php?t=4, it's also good practice when stationary to show a brake light & cover the rear brake.

Yet another reason for having an LC with Hill Start fitted.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RoSPA say,

"You should always have the back brake covered when you are stationary, even on the flat, but you should show consideration for your machine by selecting neutral gear when stopped for long periods."
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaygloDavid wrote: RoSPA say,

"You should always have the back brake covered when you are stationary, even on the flat, but you should show consideration for your machine by selecting neutral gear when stopped for long periods."

Hendon Shuffle  8)
ds99

Post by ds99 »

here in the london the red/stop lights are on for so long i often switch my engine off
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ds99 wrote:Here in the london the red/stop lights are on for so long i often switch my engine off.
Do you use the ignition switch or the kill switch, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8
Last edited by David. on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.