Servicing costs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

Servicing costs

Post by Boroboystu »

Looking to buy a new RT in the spring
What costs am I looking at for servicing ? Only had Japanese bikes previously and generally pay between £150-£250 for a service at a main (Honda) Dealer
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Servicing costs

Post by T6pilot »

600 mile and 6000 mile cost in the area of 200 dollars US
12000 service is about double
New plugs, air filter and valve check at that time
I get about 6000 miles from a pair Of  tires, keep a eye on rear brake as it tends to wear faster than front
Overall most service is easy for DIY types, though I leave tire and brake service to my dealer
Jim
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

Just had my 12,000 mile service (at about 13,500).  I paid just north of $500 for the service.  Both plugs replaced, Air filter replaced, Valve lash checked.  Valves were spot on so no shim replacement needed.  I think if it needs shims there is an added cost for more labor and the price of the shims.  Because they pull the head covers you will pay for new gaskets for that.  I think it's worth the money.  I have a good shop and they do good work.  After the service the bike runs great.

Yep, watch those tires. I ran my last set until the steel belts were showing.  Over 11,000 miles.  I sprung for the Michelin Pilot Road 4's and I will change them out at 8k - need it or not.  Not fun running on slicks.

btw.  while in service they always check for software updates and recalls.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Barnes1210 wrote: Just had my 12,000 mile service (at about 13,500).  I paid just north of $500 for the service.  Both plugs replaced, Air filter replaced, Valve lash checked.  Valves were spot on so no shim replacement needed.  I think if it needs shims there is an added cost for more labor and the price of the shims.  Because they pull the head covers you will pay for new gaskets for that.  I think it's worth the money.  I have a good shop and they do good work.  After the service the bike runs great.

Yep, watch those tires. I ran my last set until the steel belts were showing.  Over 11,000 miles.  I sprung for the Michelin Pilot Road 4's and I will change them out at 8k - need it or not.  Not fun running on slicks.

btw.  while in service they always check for software updates and recalls.

Think you got a fair price, goes up buy 2 hours labor if shims need changing
Luckily very few WC bikes need adjusting according to our local dealer
One of the nice things about being retired and somewhat mechanical, I actually enjoy
Working on this bike, GS911 tool is irreplaceable
Jim