Fuel reserve

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Fuel reserve

Post by guest2360 »

No idea.  But it fills up to the bottom of the neck easier without the pumps clicking off. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:If the tank capacity is 25 l, then obviously I'd only have 1 to 2 l left!

The Rider's Manual says, "the range readout indicates how far you can ride with the fuel remaining in the tank."

Also, when the "fuel down to reserve" warning shows, you've hit reserve, approx. 4 l.

Based on this info., when the range shows zero, there shouldn't be any fuel left in the tank.
I don't often use a tank full of fuel in one day, circa 300 miles.

Today (230 miles), plus some previous local riding, the fuel warning light came on with around 50 miles range, the computer ave. mpg was slightly more than 50 mpg.
The range fell to 17 miles before refilling, put just short of 24 litres in the tank.
Based on the above, perhaps the tank is 25 litres and when the range is zero, you've run out.

Having said that, I've run beyond zero range and the bike hasn't stopped.

Duggie

Post by Duggie »

I wouldn't trust the computer either, I ran out of petrol with 20 miles still showing !
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When I've done mpg checks using the physical "full to full" tank and mileage method, it's usually only slightly less than that shown on the bike computer ave. mpg.

As above, have ran my bike until zero range is shown and it didn't stop.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My experience of R1200RTs is that the LC is slightly easier to fill than previous models (I'm not sure why either).
The "range remaining" indicator is interesting, but just an indicator - on previous models I've had it below zero and still couldn't get 24 litres in.
I'll have more data on tank range when I get back from Spain, but one of the things I love about RTs is the fuel tank capacity / fuel economy and therefore tank range. My twin cams could go to 300 miles on a tank if not ridden too enthusiastically and even my LC will go beyond 200 miles before showing a low fuel warning (and then take less than 20 litres !).
There are so many bikes on the market which simply can't compete with BMWs in general and the RT in particular for tank range (I'm ignoring the GSAs !) that I can't understand why any RT owners would be unhappy with their wonderful machines. ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:My twin cams could go to 300 miles on a tank if not ridden too enthusiastically.
I'd concur with that, on a couple of occasions have got just over 300 miles to a tank full on my TC's.

Coincidentally, on one occasion, filled up in Spain (Bilbao),  got the ferry to Portsmouth and road over 300 miles home on a tank full. (Cruise control on motorways.)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

David. wrote: ..... on one occasion, filled up in Spain (Bilbao),got the ferry to Portsmouth and rode over 300 miles home on a tank full. (Cruise control on motorways.)
Just one of the many reasons the RTs make great tourers ! :be happy:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE