Fuel reserve

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Fuel reserve

Post by guest2360 »

Us LC owners are spared such dramas as the fuel sensor has reverted to the Victorian style toilet float system.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote:Us LC owners are spared such dramas as the fuel sensor has reverted to the Victorian style toilet float system.
Ballcocks !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

DaygloDavid wrote: Did the bike restart easily after adding the fuel from the can.

Yes, I ran the bike out of fuel twice last night and both times it started after about three revolutions and settled to a steady idle. (Tonight's experiment has been postponed ti'll tomorrow). 
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Rode a bit slower tonight but only managed 26.7 miles ti'll it died.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If you're worried about running out of fuel, could always fit one of these, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg_xmMR5Kbg

This looks like where the gravity feed auxiliary fuel tank connects to the standard fuel tank.

Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Went to Scotland on a VFR800, the others two lads were on a GSXR750 & a VFR400, more for their sake than my own, I took a 5 litre fuel can in a tail pack attached to the pillion seat.

Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Givi make a 2.5l can. When France had their fuel strikes, I took one when we went touring.

Apparently, the ferry company don't allow you to take containerised fuel. Thankfully, they didn't spot it buried in my top box.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

When I do the route planning - I go for 300km before planning a fuel stop.  This way, I estimate I have about 100km before I get to"Oh dear I have to start pushing"

So far - I have never run out of petrol, and I get to choose where I fill up & what the price is!
Best regards, Sleuth
CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

The one variable I wonder about when determining how much fuel the tank took vs documented capacity, is how full the individual actually considers full. The collar inside the fill cap stops fueling well before the tank is full. I have found it takes a bit of patience to actually fill my tank to capacity with the vapor recovery nozzles.
Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I brim mine by withdrawing the fuel pump filler nozzle as the fuel level rises up the filler neck.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

David. wrote: I brim mine by withdrawing the fuel pump filler nozzle as the fuel level rises up the filler neck.
Me too  :)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I used to go through the process of seeing just how far up the neck I could get the fuel but I got tired of wiping the fuel splashes off the tank afterwards. Now I just fill until I can see fuel at the bottom of the filler neck and then I stop. Much less mess and I doubt the cup-full of fuel that would sit in the neck makes that much difference.

I'm getting around 300 miles from a tank as it is so I have no complaints whatsoever (especially when comparing with my GS which struggled to make 240 miles on a tank).
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This guy with a 2008 K1200S decided to "butcher" the fuel tank filler neck to improve venting whilst filling the tank, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=28824

Have found, that with care & patience, the tank can be brimmed without problems. Any small overflow will go down the vent hole in the annulus around the filler neck.

Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The LC tank seems to fill easier near the end than I can remember on earlier bikes. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:The LC tank seems to fill easier near the end than I can remember on earlier bikes.
Why, what's the difference between the LC & earlier bikes.

Benchmark has an LC & I have a TC, both can be brimmed without any problems.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.