Time to change ?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

Time to change ?

Post by gogs01 »

Hi,
I've been a member of this forum for some time, but this is my first post.
My 2013 R1200RT 90th anniversary edition has been my best RT (I've had three) and possibly my best bike ever (having started with a BSA C11G in the '60s). I had a succession of Kawasakis in the '80s / '90s - GPz750, GPZ900R (x2),ZZR1100, GTR1000, then a Triumph Trophy 1200, FJR1300 as well as a few "second" bikes along the way.
My current RT has clocked up over 34,000 miles and has taken me around the Baltic (twice) and to Croatia and Sicily as well as the South of France and shorter trips around Scotland and visits to England.
My brother has traded in his K1600GT for a new R1200RT LE and he is loving it ..... which has got me thinking ..... :thinking:
I've booked a test ride on my local dealers demo bike, which is an Iconic model with all the bells & whistles. I'll take it out tomorrow (Wednesday 21st September) and see how I get on with a bike which has even more toys than my own. Ideally I would have liked to have found a lighter bike (I'm not getting any younger or stronger !),but nothing else really ticks all the boxes for what I want in a bike - so I just need to be careful :eek:
If I come back smiling I then need to decide how / when to change ..... now ? 1st January ? 1st March ? ???
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
stayingupright

Re: Time to change ?

Post by stayingupright »

I took delivery of my Iconic on Saturday. (52/100)

I have spent the last three days trying to figure out how to wrangle more time off work to ride it. You only live once
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They have an Iconic as a demo?  That would be worth an ask.  They are allowed to sell them after 90 days.  Don't believe all the talk bout the LC being heavier than yours.  It might be but it feels lighter and smaller as well as going like that stuff off a shovel.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I took delivery of my Iconic on Saturday. (52/100). I have spent the last three days trying to figure out how to wrangle more time off work to ride it. You only live once.
They have an Iconic as a demo? That would be worth an ask. They are allowed to sell them after 90 days. Don't believe all the talk bout the LC being heavier than yours. It might be but it feels lighter and smaller as well as going like that stuff off a shovel.
Thanks guys. I like the look of the Iconic, but the demo bike has a scuffed pannier and rocker cover. Nothing drastic, but off-putting. I also don't want to be paying for a radio and the demo bike doesn't have keyless ride.
I've got a (list) price for a Platinum Bronze Metallic R1200 RT LE with Dynamic pack, Topbox with central locking and high level brake light and Navigator V - £18,160.41 :( A hell of a lot of money, but still substantially less than list for an Iconic.
I would have to decide whether to change now or wait until March for the 17 plate, with the option of trading my bike early (October / November ?) and living without a bike until March (probably not a huge issue in Scotland !)
This all presumes that the test ride will be positive ..... :clap:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Keyless on the RT is limited as you still need the fod for central locking and the alarm and of course this is buried somewhere under your kit.  It's also an ugly fitting .  Drove me demented on a 1600 and was glad to get rid of it. Get a flat battery with the steering locked and your stranded on the spot.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: Keyless on the RT is limited as you still need the fod for central locking and the alarm and of course this is buried somewhere under your kit. It's also an ugly fitting . Drove me demented on a 1600 and was glad to get rid of it. Get a flat battery with the steering locked and your stranded on the spot.
Interesting ! My brother had it on his K1600 and chose to have it on his new R1200RT LE. I must ask him why he likes it when you clearly don't !
wethead

Post by wethead »

I traded a GT for a 2016 RT. Unfortunately, the last  of the 'key' was sold 15 min. before I got there so I ended up with a keyless.

I rather depend on my key in my pocket than on an electronic gadget to start the bike and open the gas tank. But to each his own
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Well, I turned up at the dealer 10 minutes before the appointed time - no RT Iconic to be seen. Where is it ? Out on loan and hasn't been returned. Person with the bike not answering his phone. OK, I'll wait a while, have a coffee. Thirty minutes later, I asked if the GS in the showroom was a demo bike. Yes - and it's keyless ride. My only other experience of a GS was when the 1100 was new, and that was a very short run (but I did like it).
The bike was rolled out, I was shown how everything worked and I was off. My impressions are : bars wide, exhaust loud, wind protection less than RT, performance very lively, handling excellent, steering very neutral / natural.
The keyless ride seems very simple (I've had keyless with a car). Can't see the catch ... yet.
There's a lot to like, so I can understand why I see so many on the road, but on balance I think the RT will suit me better (if it ever turns up !).
I've been promised a phone call when the bike is returned, but I'm still waiting for the phone call I was promised six years ago !
On the plus side, the price quoted for my specified LE is now £17,200, so I might be tempted .....
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I went for the RT1200RT Iconic (67/100) and so far I have found it enjoyable. Even with the standard height seat I am ok getting my feet down. The Trophy I needed the low seat. I have found it easier to put on the centre stand compared to the Trophy and it is a bit lighter and easier to move round.  I do need to play around with the audio system to set the volume to auto adjust according to speed as that is bugging me but overall I am really enjoying it and the handling.