Insurance claim rejected ?

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
gogs01

Insurance claim rejected ?

Post by gogs01 »

I've read many comments in tyre threads giving dire warnings of insurance claims being rejected due to tyres being non - recommended, mixed brands or different evolutions of the same tyre.
Does anybody on the forum know of an insurance claim being rejected SOLELY on the basis of tyre choice (not tyre condition) ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Insurance claim rejected ?

Post by Sullivj »

I work for an insurer. I've never heard of it, unless they don't meet the manufacturers requirement.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Could you clarify "manufacturers requirements " .  Is that the vehicle or tyre manufacturer
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Sorry, I mean vehicle manufacturer.

If for example, the tyres were the wrong size, or didn't meet manufactures speed rating for example, then you could lead yourself towards a declinature.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still sounds like a bit of a grey area.  Me thinks if it's bike manufacturer or tyre manufacturer recommended for your model you are OK.  Excessive wear, wrong size or rating your not OK.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: ..... Me thinks if it's bike manufacturer or tyre manufacturer recommended for your model you are OK. Excessive wear, wrong size or rating you're not OK.
That sounds right to me.  I believe if your front tyre is a recommended fitting and in good (ie legal) condition, and the rear ditto, they don't have to be the same make or "model".

I seem to remember running Metzelers on my ZZR1100 in the 90s, ME1 front, ME2 rear, a popular combination at the time.

Now I stick to matched pairs as recommended by BMW, Tyre Manufacturer or BMW dealer.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:Now I stick to matched pairs as recommended by BMW, Tyre Manufacturer or BMW dealer.
Perelli/Metzeler suggest that Roadtec 01's & Z8's can be mixed.