Considering an RT..

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Considering an RT..

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Hi all..

I'm considering an RT as my next bike. Currently on a Trophy which has been great but rumour has it Triumph are to discontinue it so unless they replace it with something they loose me as a customer..

My nearest dealer has an RT demonstrator which I understand is the basic version. If I were to go for this bike can the different equipment packages-Premium package,Dynamic package,etc- be added later or would I need to go for a brand new machine if I want those features?

Thanks!
gogs01

Re: Considering an RT..

Post by gogs01 »

Potential new owner.. wrote: ..... My nearest dealer has an RT demonstrator which I understand is the basic version. If I were to go for this bike can the different equipment packages-Premium package,Dynamic package,etc- be added later or would I need to go for a brand new machine if I want those features? .....
You really need to visit a BMW dealer, or at least the BMW website http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/index.html Almost everything listed as "equipment" needs to be ordered with the bike. Generally, only "accessories" can be added later.
Good luck with your choices .....  ;)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
wethead

Post by wethead »

Consider it no more...GET!

I was a Trophy owner but the Trophy is a well thought out design ill manufactured. I can imagine they are not making it anymore cause when I own one, all I experience and heard was trouble and deficiencies.

The RT is a solid meat-n-potato bike. You can run these at 90 and 100 all day on the freeway. Very comfy with a couple of farkles to adapt to your body...yea! you can't go wrong with the switch kiddo!!
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's very unusual for dealers to have the basic model as a demo, it's normally the other way round so Ineould check again with them.  But no as stated there is a limited amount you can add to them ex factory.
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

I too am considering purchasing an RT. I have also posted Q&A regarding the "clunk" from the tranny on another post. My question here, please, is buying an 2016 RT without Dynamic Package a major fault or are the "premium and "dynamic" packages must have feature?   
Keep The Faith!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rudy G. Bristow wrote: I too am considering purchasing an RT. I have also posted Q&A regarding the "clunk" from the tranny on another post. My question here, please, is buying an 2016 RT without Dynamic Package a major fault or are the "premium and "dynamic" packages must have feature? 

How about riding the bike and then make a decision. I actually really like the Dynamic and can't comment because I have never been without it.
carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

As a practical matter, your dealer will be able to tell you how their demonstrator is equipped, but I rode one last week that was set up pretty close to what I had in mind, and I was looking for a few things.

There are certain practical dividing lines.  The first of these is whether or not the bike is fitted with the "Premium Package".  While I would bet that most demonstrators are, I have no inside knowledge.

The next major line appears to be the central locking/alarm option set.  BMW does not sell those two independently and sales people can tell if the bike has that, or not, by looking for the central locking switch.  In my area (SF Bay Area) they seem reluctant to think they can install these things themselves.  Those two features are either on the VIN they have to sell, or not, and some order it for their showroom machines, and some don't.

Gear Shift Assist Pro and the seat options can be installed by the dealer, I understand.  A&S shows part numbers for Hill Start Control and GPS prep, so apparently you can add those if you don't get them as part of the Premium Package.  Of course they can also add any accessory, which includes the LED aux lights, cylinder head guards, top case, yadayada, from the dealer.

But I'd bet that the demonstrator the dealer has does indeed have the Premium Package.  It's worth asking about.
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Well had my demo day and loved the bike. The comfort, wind protection and engine were all top notch. The gear shift pro was great and I liked the hand brake. Very useful! Now we'll see what trade in their gonna give me for the Triumph..
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I had a test ride (225 miles) this week. The bike was an "Iconic" model, so had central locking, gear shift pro etc.
Smoother, quicker and not quite as economical as my 90th Anniversary model.
Deal negotiated, platinum bronze metallic LE ordered. Delivery due week 47 - roll on ! :kacsint2:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Potential new owner.. wrote: Now we'll see what trade in their gonna give me for the Triumph..

Don't hold your breath...

:alas:
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

The Rt is the biggest selling tourer on the market. I am on my second one and am an ardent RT biker.  I'm 74 now, and the only bike I'll ever own is a beemer, I may go for the F800 in a few years time, as I get older and fancy something lighter than the RT.  I love the weather protection of the RT its truly amazing.  They have produced a winner with the 2017 model, especially with the improved gearbox, its so much smoother than the previous one.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I found that trade in they broadcast the bike on their network and get bids from dealers who might think they can shift it. So I got 8000 for my 2 1/2 year Trophy when I traded in . On seperate note I never had any reliabilty issues with the Trophy
ds99

Post by ds99 »

wethead

Post by wethead »

....first of all, neither one of these three guy can speak English...be
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I thought none of them could.