Need advice on LOW SEAT option for r 1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
freyguy17

Re: Need advice on LOW SEAT option for r 1200RT

Post by freyguy17 »

Methos1979...I have not picked up the bike yet (I ended up buying a used 2015 model, with 12K miles, for about 6000 US dollars cheaper than an equivalent new one !) I was NO aware of any seat adjustment when I road the bike, nor am I sure what suspension setting the bike was on.  I was concentrating ONLY on riding it safely, without any mishaps, and was nervous about any "rider error" while I was testing.  SO...maybe the stock standard seat will work out fine, after all.  I am getting a new rear Michelin installed before I pick up the bike; I don't like worn treads !
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

freyguy17 wrote: Methos1979...I have not picked up the bike yet (I ended up buying a used 2015 model, with 12K miles, for about 6000 US dollars cheaper than an equivalent new one !) I was NO aware of any seat adjustment when I road the bike, nor am I sure what suspension setting the bike was on.  I was concentrating ONLY on riding it safely, without any mishaps, and was nervous about any "rider error" while I was testing.  SO...maybe the stock standard seat will work out fine, after all.  I am getting a new rear Michelin installed before I pick up the bike; I don't like worn treads !

I'd ask them to test ride either their demo again or your bike when you pick it up with the stock seat in both positions as well as a low seat in both positions. Then you'll know. My dealer had no problem swapping out the stock standard seat with a low option and then back again.
wethead

Post by wethead »

low seat problem will not be the heater, it will be your but discomfort. ANY low seat you buy is going to be on the 'hard' side.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Wethead: I agree with you (at least with my V Strom Suzuki) that a factory low seat is less comfortable than the standard seat.  However, at my age (64) I am obsessed with SAFETY and my ability to maneuver at slow speeds and at stops.  So, safety trumps comfort for me.  In addition, I rarely, if ever, ride more than 2 hours at a stretch...if that.  I bought an R1200RT primarily because 1) I have always wanted to own a BMW, and 2) I can finally afford it.
wethead

Post by wethead »

I get the picture.

I too like to 'sit inside the bike'; not on top like these we own. However, the previous RT I had with a low seat of my choice broke my butt from Seattle to CA.

Because I do long tours, I have come to accept these 'seats in the clouds'  type of arrangements in order to have a comfy seat.

I don't understand why BMW does not design a touring seating position instead of these crotch rockets ergonomics.

I ll just tell ya, the best low seat ever made for me was made by Seth Laam Seats....as low seats go, that was the most comfy I ever experienced
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

wethead wrote:

Because I do long tours, I have come to accept these 'seats in the clouds'  type of arrangements in order to have a comfy seat.

I don't understand why BMW does not design a touring seating position instead of these crotch rockets ergonomics.

The clue is in the style of bike "Sports Tourer" Not Cruiser. Its not a Harley.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

I am 5'6" and have a 2015 1200 RT wth the stock seat.  I tried a BMW low seat for 2 days, but could not stand it.  The regular seat in a low position is much more comfortable. They guy who was selling got a Sargent low seat and really liked it. The BMW low seat had heat. Customs seats usually have it as an option...
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Just picked up a new RT a couple of weeks ago and had requested a low seat. Dealer collected the low heated seat from the parts department and fitted it when I collected the bike, so it's definitely available - used it yesterday and it really works. The seat is definitely wider than the GS I had previously; I've got a 26" inside leg, but can get both toes, or one foot down!
wethead

Post by wethead »

JudgeDredd wrote: Just picked up a new RT a couple of weeks ago and had requested a low seat. Dealer collected the low heated seat from the parts department and fitted it when I collected the bike, so it's definitely available - used it yesterday and it really works. The seat is definitely wider than the GS I had previously; I've got a 26" inside leg, but can get both toes, or one foot down!

I have a friend who is also 'reach-the-ground-challenged-on-an-RT'. What he did was have a shoe repair dude put extra height on his riding boots. Now, he is able to use a RDL seat, which adds even more height to the bike.

anyways, just trying to help.
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Well, I bought a low seat from BMW of San Francisco, sat on it for a few minutes, then sent it right back ! Way too uncomfortable !
The ability to get both feet flat on the ground was my original intention, but I would have to give up way too much comfort.  So, I am sticking with the stock "medium" seat.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

freyguy17 wrote: Well, I bought a low seat from BMW of San Francisco, sat on it for a few minutes, then sent it right back ! Way too uncomfortable !
The ability to get both feet flat on the ground was my original intention, but I would have to give up way too much comfort.  So, I am sticking with the stock "medium" seat.
I too have been down that road, it would be nice to flat foot and make it easier should I need to back up a little, but it's something you get used to  :)
wethead

Post by wethead »

Every low seat I ever had was uncomfortable as allhell
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Had the OEM low seat on my LC for the last 10K.  I'm now it's shape so it's comfortable. You can't judge anything in a day.