Keyless ride

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

Keyless ride

Post by Boroboystu »

I just wondered, if I take the keyless option when purchasing my new RT does it come with two keyless fobs ?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Keyless ride

Post by T6pilot »

Mine came with 1 plus a plastic emergency chip
I ordered a non chipped key for opening cases and unlocking seat $20 US, I use this instead of FOB key
Jim
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Definitely only on keyless fob, plus plastic emergency key.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yet another reason to keep away from keyless unless of course you have a problem putting a key in a lock.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Enough said , don't thinks it's going to be keyless for me
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Why not just buy a 2nd key FOB ?  Even if 100 or more bucks, what is the big deal if you're buying it for an over 22 000 dollar motorcycle ?
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I do not have a keyless bike, so this is supposition.

I keep the bike outside (behind bars) so in winter when the lock is frozen it is a pain to get her started.  Keyless starter could be useful!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

The cost of a spare fob is £180 , so that's really £430 for the keyless ride with two fobs , or nothing for two keys think I will opt for. Nothing
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Boroboystu wrote: The cost of a spare fob is £180 , so that's really £430 for the keyless ride with two fobs , or nothing for two keys think I will opt for. Nothing
I have the keyless option on my 2015 bike, but wish I didn't!

Looking at the options list in the UK you cannot have a full spec'd bike without keyless unless you are prepared to pay a lot extra! This is because the keyless option is include in the price of the LE model.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

TJRL wrote: This is because the keyless option is include in the price of the LE model.
Mine's an LE but doesn't have it  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Iconic models are LEs and they don't have it.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

It appears in the US about 80% of the bikes come keyless, + and - for both systems
Mine came with it and was pretty much indifferent when I picked bike up
After a few trips getting used to it, I consider it a +
My previous 1600 had a key, with fob that scratched the heck out of handle bars while riding
Only issue with keyless is the retractable key for unlocking cases and seat, weak design and known to break when unlocking seat or stubborn case locks
Extra regular key non chipped has become a regular order for many riders
I do think we are getting too much gadget technology with our cars/bikes, maybe simpler is better in many cases

Jim
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

The LE model definitely docent come with keyless as standard ! its an extra £250 , my issue with it is the fact you only get one fob ! and an extra fob costing £180 where do you stop ? I am ordering my new RT at the back end of january in time for the new 17 plate, but it won't be keyless, as someone has already said how hard is it putting a key in the ignition ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's another reason for going keyless I hadn't thought of.  The fod connected to the key marks the bars. Wonder how you could stop that.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: That's another reason for going keyless I hadn't thought of.  The fod connected to the key marks the bars. Wonder how you could stop that.

Easy, put a bit of electric tape around the join of the fob, it then doesn't mark.