Disc lock.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Hodge

Disc lock.

Post by Hodge »

does anyone use one of these and if so what make.
Maz12

Re: Disc lock.

Post by Maz12 »

Not since i set off with one still on
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

+1.  And it can hurt.  Still occasionally put a big U lock through the hole in the final drive if it's left home alone.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I have a heavy duty ABUS disc lock which I haven't used for a long time.
I now use something like this :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-ha ... SwLnBX5VSG
Handy on ferries (locks the front brake on) and no chance of riding off with it still on !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

gogs01 wrote: I have a heavy duty ABUS disc lock which I haven't used for a long time.
I now use something like this :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-handlebar-throttle-grip-lock-PT22-security-lock-red-/401194191237?hash=item5d69098985:g:Ko0AAOSwLnBX5VSG
Handy on ferries (locks the front brake on) and no chance of riding off with it still on !

Deja vu ... I ordered one of those myself this week as an added bit of protection
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Like that......simple and easy....like me    be
percy

Post by percy »

An alarmed disk lock should prevent you riding off with it still attached :)
e.g. https://www.xenasecurity.com/xx10/
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I use a Bike It Disc Lock (LOD10P),  together with the Disc lock Reminder.

May not be very robust, but at least I could say to the insurance company, I put something on my bike when it is not at home in the garage.

fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Pic from the link above. What am I missing, but to me few seconds with a junior hacksaw on the soft alloy brake lever and the bike can be wheeled away by a thief?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

fatnfast wrote: .... What am I missing, but to me few seconds with a junior hacksaw on the soft alloy brake lever and the bike can be wheeled away by a thief?
Yes, you're absolutely correct, but on the plus side, the same thief would have to have disabled the steering lock as well.

A disc lock is significantly harder to disable, but the bike can still be picked up & put in a van.  I've seen a video of chains being smashed, or cut with an angle grinder.  It has been reported that bikes have been picked up and carried out of a locked garage - over a car !

The lock on the throttle / brake is an obvious deterrent to the opportunist thief.  Determined, professional scumbags just see extra security as an interesting challenge - unfortunately.  I think I can understand how sad and angry people must feel when they have a bike stolen and I hope it never happens to me.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

I used to have an electrification divice called a Sabre tech 2000 I purchased from the states , that was until police told me I had to remove it and did arm the thing as it was ileagle using it in this country ! Cut a long story short , my bike was nicked about six weeks later
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

I use an Oxford Boss alarmed disc lock as an extra visible deterrent to any thief. Gave me a slightly lower insurance quote  if another Thatcham approved device was in use. Unless your bike is anchored to the floor with a big dog lying next to it, a very determined thief, given time would remove any motorcycle.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

For some reason RT's are not high on the theft list on this side of the pond, guess to many harleys and crotch rockets. A disc lock with some sort of streamer/cable to alert you to remove before riding would seem be the best choice
i've found a cover does wonders to discourage casual miscrets,
Jim
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

I use an Abus Detecto Electronic Chain Lock / Disc Brake Lock.  http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/abus-granit-detecto-electronic-chain-lock-disc-brake-lock

It's pretty spendy and I rarely use the chain.  I've added an orange plastic−covered−coiled−thingy that goes on the throttle to remind me not to take off with it on.  The one time that I didn't use the "thingy," when I sat down on the bike, it set off the alarm on the disc lock that reminded me to remove it. 

Round here, BMW's are not stolen very frequently.  I think that HD's are the main target.  But the lock and chain, especially when I use both, together keeps the honest people honest.  I rely on insurance if the worst case scenario occurs. 
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I use an Abus Dectecto. 

At the time it was sold by the BMW shop, now Abus lists it as a Mid-Entry level lock.  I tend to lock the bike both fore & aft with locks if she is being placed in a public place - higher than normal risk.  If I know the area, and deem it to be low risk, or I will be gone just a few minutes I only use the front locks.

I have only once driven away with it in place, and I had used the reminder cord!  :alas:  Did not drop her though!

She always has the alarm & central steering lock on.

So far no attempted theft has occurred, however I am in the UK next weekend so anything can happen!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth