General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Disc lock.

Post by David. »

Sleuth wrote:I am in the UK next weekend so anything can happen!
Where are you heading to in the UK.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

DaygloDavid wrote: Where are you heading to in the UK.
I will be going to the Birmingham area,  arriving in Kent, making a few stops on the way then blasting to the hotel.

Heading back south over Sunday and Monday.

If you are in the West Birmingham area,  send a pm and we can meet up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sleuth on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, Sleuth
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleuth wrote:If you are in the West Birmingham area, send a pm and we can meet up.
Thanks for your reply, Birmingham is a bit too far away. Have a good safe trip.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

DaygloDavid wrote: Thanks for your reply, Birmingham is a bit too far away. Have a good safe trip.
That's a shame.  Thanks for the wishes,  I will need them.  Been so long out of practice riding officially on the left,  it gets interesting at times!

Safe riding yourself.

Best regards, Sleuth
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleuth wrote:Been so long out of practice riding officially on the left, it gets interesting at times!
One of the best tips I was given when first riding in Europe was, "keep your throttle in the gutter".

Obviously, "keep your clutch in the gutter" in the UK.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Frequently these days, she has a white line habit!  Good job it's legal in Belgium.

Best regards, Sleuth
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Spotted this damaged GS in a local workshop. Poor chap had left his U-lock in place when he drove off  :-X

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Sleuth wrote: ..... She always has the alarm & central steering lock on ..... So far no attempted theft has occurred, however I am in the UK next weekend so anything can happen! ..... Sleuth
I knew a guy who had his (Kawasaki) bike stolen in Belgium. Saw it being ridden off, never saw it again.
I'm not sure I would be comfortable telling the world details of my security and itinerary. Hope you have a good trip and get home ok - with your bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

gogs01 wrote: I knew a guy who had his (Kawasaki) bike stolen in Belgium. Saw it being ridden off, never saw it again.
I'm not sure I would be comfortable telling the world details of my security and itinerary. Hope you have a good trip and get home ok - with your bike.
Good point, will be a bit more careful in future!

Sorry to hear about the acquaintance.  A good friend of mine, regularly leaves his BMW near the local station unlocked (and sometimes with the key.)  His reasoning.  BMW bikes have an immobiliser, you need to have proof of ownership to obtain a second key.  Most owners will not buy their second hand parts via e-bay or from a guy in a pub.  They tend to buy from reputable breakers or dealers.  He is more worried about damage than theft.

Generally Belgium is safe for bikes, though some parts of the Netherlands, they will nick it right in front of you.

I only mentioned the front - light weight lock - not the rear!  That is supposedly grind resistant!  Of course if they want your bike - it is gone.
Best regards, Sleuth
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Hodge wrote: does anyone use one of these and if so what make.
Yes I've used one  for ages.  Tghe trick is to fit it on the side which you approach the bike when the steering is locked. If its a bright colour, you will readily see it.  Also buy one of those orange coloured coiled reminder leads and stretch t across the bars so when you clamber on he bike you will be reminded.  It work for me every time.

timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I use a brightly colored U-lock, and *always* connect the reminder cable to the handlebars.  In general, I only use it if I'm parked overnight in unfamiliar surroundings.  The other thing I like to do is cover the bike, sometimes out-of-sight is out-of-mind for vandals.  It also keeps people from pressing buttons or otherwise touching things they should not.
Attachments
2016-05-08 07.48.10.jpg
Last edited by timminator on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

T6pilot wrote: For some reason RT's are not high on the theft list on this side of the pond, guess to many harleys and crotch rockets. A disc lock with some sort of streamer/cable to alert you to remove before riding would seem be the best choice
i've found a cover does wonders to discourage casual miscrets,
Read a couple of weeks ago that newer bikes in UK (which have Datatag fitted from new) are much less likely to get stolen.  In the garage at home its a big chain in the ground anchor with a Squire lock and an anti-pinch pin through the rear hub.  On tour its a standard Oxford disc lock and a lighter chain though the back wheel.

My logic is that someone inside my garage has much more time and it much less likely to be seem chucking the bike in the back of a van.  Out in the open they can still do that, but are much more visible, so I go for things that will slow them down, but still light enough to carry while touring.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Oh and a red 'Remove before flight' tag on the dayglow coil reminder thingy :)
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

gogs01 wrote:
I now use something like this :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-handlebar-throttle-grip-lock-PT22-security-lock-red-/401194191237?hash=item5d69098985:g:Ko0AAOSwLnBX5VSG
Handy on ferries (locks the front brake on) and no chance of riding off with it still on !

Mine arrived in the post today ... Quite impressed really.

Very solid piece of aluminium.

While it is never going to stop a very determined thief, it will make them think twice and ask if it is worth the agro and time trying to remove.

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

stayingupright wrote:

Mine arrived in the post today ... Quite impressed really.

Very solid piece of aluminium.

While it is never going to stop a very determined thief, it will make them think twice and ask if it is worth the agro and time trying to remove.

Couldn't a thief just cut the brake line or undo the bleed on the calliper? Also on a ferry, just leave the bike in gear