Topcase lock jammed

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Topcase lock jammed

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I have used the same top box on three of my last bikes and each time the dealer has changed the lock with it in the unlocked position.  i am paying them a visit tomorrow and will ask them what's what.

Same here.  I sold my 28l box in the unlocked position - as my dealer recommended - and the guy I sold it to got it re-coded no problem whatsoever by his (different) dealer.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I made a special tool from a large hacksaw blade that did the same as the paper clip.

https://youtu.be/vlppCcPogfs

It's a fiddle, but if you get a new lock you can practice on that and when you are competant at getting the lock leaf retracted it's on to the top case.

Done a few now.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just had a word with a couple of techs.  The lock can be removed if it's in the locked or unlocked position.  Bit easier in the unlocked state though.  No need to resort to drills and hammers.
mack62

Post by mack62 »

Just an update... after a good 3 hour tour of B roads :) my lock tumbler became un-jammed.  I was then able to turn the tumbler to the locked position.  After making a little tool from a BBQ skewer, I was able to get the tumbler out.  After understanding how it works, I don't see any way you could remove it without it being in the locked position.  My local BMW dealer told me the same and suggested that I get a locksmith to drill it out. 

The issue was that one of the springs holding the wafers in seemed to have been lost or broken.  This caused the wafer to be jammed.

Happy to finally have this resolved. :)
[attachimg=1]

Attachments
20170608_224753.jpg
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

What luck!  Congratulations, and thanks for posting the update. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mack62

Post by mack62 »

I am happy.  Really didn't want to try to drill it out as had read some horror stories. 

I have added some pictures of the tool I used to remove the lock tumbler with.  It is just a metal BBQ skewer that I filed the point down. 
[attachimg=2]
Attachments
20170609_162722.jpg
20170609_162730.jpg
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary