Topcase lock jammed

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
mack62

Topcase lock jammed

Post by mack62 »

So I just got back from a fair length tour.  The only problem I had was that the topcase lock jammed.  It was fine in the morning and when we arrived in Plymouth for the ferry it wouldn't turn to unlock.  I found a locksmith (on a Sunday  :eek: ) who got it un-jammed with some lubricant and a few hits of a hammer.  He said it is likely a broken disk in the tumbler.  Anyone else had this problem?  I am reading about to see if I can get a new tumbler and rekey it myself or take it to the dealer. 
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Topcase lock jammed

Post by Sullivj »

I've not heard of it before.

Removing the barrel isn't hard, so you could check the fins for a broken one. YouTube has lots of tutorials.

You could remove the broken fin, and it would still operate OK, but the fins are available from dealers - they normally have a box of them.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Sullivj wrote: Removing the barrel isn't hard, so you could check the fins for a broken one. YouTube has lots of tutorials.
Last time I removed a lock barrel it took 3-4 hours and a complete disassembly of the top case, it was a *major* hassle.  I saw all the videos on YouTube, and none of them worked for me.  There is an access hole on the bottom of the barrel housing that is accessible when the topcase is disconnected from the bike.  You are supposed to be able to slide a paper-clip up there and release the barrel, but after trying it for an hour, I gave up and took it apart.  I talked to my dealer and they didn't know anything about the paper-clip trick, they disassemble the box and charge by the hour for it.

Wishing you better luck than I had.
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Where a outs are you in the UK Mack? The dealer I used was in Peterborough. There is a special tool they used (not dissimilar to a paper clip, but more rigid). It took them 2 mins to pop the barrel out.
mack62

Post by mack62 »

Thanks for all the advice.  I am in Cambridge so Peterborough is my closest dealer.  I will give them a call. 
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Had a jammed lock on a pannier on the old GT while up in Scotland.  Locksmith was going to drill it, so I took it to a dealer in Dundee.  He put the key in the lock, whacked it, and hey presto up popped the latch.  Seemed to think the issue was too much pressure on the lock, although the pannier has not entirely full.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

North Oxford Garage charged me a mere £22 for a brand new lock installed & keyed to my bike.
John Bentall
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

timminator wrote: Last time I removed a lock barrel it took 3-4 hours and a complete disassembly of the top case, it was a *major* hassle.  I saw all the videos on YouTube, and none of them worked for me.  There is an access hole on the bottom of the barrel housing that is accessible when the topcase is disconnected from the bike.  You are supposed to be able to slide a paper-clip up there and release the barrel, but after trying it for an hour, I gave up and took it apart.  I talked to my dealer and they didn't know anything about the paper-clip trick, they disassemble the box and charge by the hour for it.

Wishing you better luck than I had.
I've successfully used paper clip trick, twice.  But it is not easy.  For sure.  First time was to re-key top case for my wife's f800st, and second time was for my top case (R1200RT fwiw), which I had to rebuild after a failure similar to what mack62 experienced.  There is a lock cylinder repair kit you can buy that has a collection of pins for all possible key combinations.  That is what I used to repair mine.  For my wife's, I was just able to file down a few pins To make it fit her key. 

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Just back from a Spain trip with my partner, so travelling light was not an option, I had a jam a couple of times and each time it was due to bad packing of the top box. I found that with the help of another put downward pressure on the lid particularly on the side of any wide shut gap on the lid and then press the button. Anything that is shut between the lid and the lower case will cause a jam.
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

I think there might be two problems here.  One being the lock and the other being the reluctance for top boxes to open if you shut something between the two halves when you close it.  I've had a couple of panics when I couldn't get the release to pop out - both times because I've caught something when closing the case.  Now i'm very careful when closing the top box.  One hint of it being hard to close I double check.  Giving it a smart tap and pushing down on the top has, so far, worked but I do think it's a bit of a design flaw.
mack62

Post by mack62 »

So I am back looking at this again.  I have tried using a paper clip but so far no luck.  The key comes in and out fine but I can't turn the lock.  The tumbler is jammed again.  Some things I have read seem to indicate that I need to have the tumbler turned to the locked position before you can release the locking tab.  :(

I also can't release the topcase from the bike.  I suspect one or several springs have fallen out... If I could turn it on the side I might be able to get the wafer back in place.  Not willing to dump the bike for this yet  :D [size=78%]  [/size]
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I had the same problem with a topbox on an F800. I'd trapped a glove in one of the side catches which put pressure on the locking mechanism so that the lock barrel could not rotate. After a lot of pushing on the lid to relieve the pressure it finally opened.
mack62

Post by mack62 »

So finally got the bike up to BMW in Peterborough.  As the tumbler is in the unlocked position, there is no way to pop the lock out with the special tool.  They suggested that they could take the case apart but that it can take more than an hours labour or that I could take it to a locksmith and see if they can drill out the lock.  The service manager there said that they would just take it to a locksmith and mark up the charge so better to do it myself.  I have ordered the spare parts... now just need to decide if I want to take the safe but faffy way or the more risky approach of drilling out the lock.  Has anyone ever seen the instructions on how to drill one out?  I found lots for usual house locks but not this type of lock. 
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

mack62 wrote: So finally got the bike up to BMW in Peterborough.  As the tumbler is in the unlocked position, there is no way to pop the lock out with the special tool.  They suggested that they could take the case apart but that it can take more than an hours labour or that I could take it to a locksmith and see if they can drill out the lock.  The service manager there said that they would just take it to a locksmith and mark up the charge so better to do it myself.  I have ordered the spare parts... now just need to decide if I want to take the safe but faffy way or the more risky approach of drilling out the lock.  Has anyone ever seen the instructions on how to drill one out?  I found lots for usual house locks but not this type of lock.
As I mentioned earlier, I have taken the case apart to remove the lock cylinder.  It is a nightmare job, I would not recommend it to anyone.  What I can tell you is the lock barrel is 100% encased in plastic parts inside the case.  I would be nervous about allowing a locksmith to drill it out.  If he goes too deep, or allows the bit to travel too far to one side or the other, the lock housing will be ruined.  While it might be spendy, I think you will be money and trouble ahead to just let the dealer handle it.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have used the same top box on three of my last bikes and each time the dealer has changed the lock with it in the unlocked position.  i am paying them a visit tomorrow and will ask them what's what.