2017 RT diffs - transmission shaft and bearing - any prior issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: 2017 RT diffs - transmission shaft and bearing - any prior issues?

Post by guest2360 »

I give up.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I give up.

I agree, this guy knows everything, don't know why he bothers with a forum. I agree with you, GSP is a great addition, if its rubbish why are other manufacturers now putting it on their bikes. As for learning how to use it, took me all of 5 mins to master it, so if you can't master using it, then perhaps you shouldn't be riding a bike.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I did a trip to Spain a couple of weeks ago with, for the first time, my partner, she remarked 'is this one automatic?'. That says it all, her only previous experience was my previous 1600 GTL with it's clunky gearbox and slack driveline.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I give up.

aww...

Don't stop now.  This is the funniest thread since the last scaffolding one or the one about why blue bikes are so much slower - oh, or the one about brown being the new black...

:alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Banging ones head against a brick wall comes to mind.  I was hoping somebody as going to explain the difference between conventional and telelever suspension to him but they would probably be told he doesn't need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Banging ones head against a brick wall comes to mind.  I was hoping somebody as going to explain the difference between conventional and telelever suspension to him but they would probably be told he doesn't need it.

:)) :))
Noel

Post by Noel »

Let's see, here is essence of your positions on this matter:

1.  Since you 'mastered' what you can do w/o using a clutch in 1959 that equates to what you can do w/ 2014+ technology.  Invalid comparison!  In 1959 likely one might TRY clutchless shifting, but dedicate to it to the point of mastery w/ no precedent to look at?  I call total bullshit on this attempt at validating your knowledge about what I'm talking about.

2.  Since YOU don't care to use your left hand while downshifting, at least some of you apparently, everyone else should definitely demo SAP then go and pay to have it retrofitted. 

3.  You believe when you suddenly decelerate or stop accelerating you get slight front end dive and that this is because of the telelever front end.  The slight part is, but it happens whatever the type of front end and more so in non telelever designs.  This happens whether or not you shifting or not.  I brought up the point to explain how one can observe for less than smooth shifting w/o using the clutch, that's all.  Once you've mastered it there is virtually no dip whatsoever which only serves to validate the subjective comment, smooth shifting, whereas when you are learning this you get some dip from too long, too much of a throttle roll-off, that's all.

What's happening here is you don't understand what's possible to do w/o SAP, so you speak w/ no authority.  You apparently can't imagine it's possible to do very well as you develop skill.  When you've spent a few weeks learning how to do this and it is a real finesse thing that gets better the more you learn it, come back and make the case again otherwise it's just the usual idle prattle.  The entire essence of what I've said is only this:  you can approximate the majority of what SAP offers w/o paying for it, if you're willing to forgo the downshifting which some quite obviously do.  Gee, how come?  Doesn't feel as nice?  Looking to exercise your left hand? You enjoy using the clutch?  What a crock of bullshit!

'[size=18px]Interestingly, I still downshift the old-fashioned way 99% of the time but use the GAP 99% of the time on the upshifts beyond 2nd and every time I do, it makes me smile.  It's a hoot to use.'[/size]

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had given up, but.  I mastered clutchlees shifting in 1959 and continued to use my very limited knowledge of the method up until 2014.  Haven't got a clue about all the rest of your obvious deep knowledge of motorcycling.  How long have you owned a BMW motorcycle for by the way.
I give up again.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I sometimes actually like to downshift without the clutch, and its not because I'm too lazy to use the clutch, its because I can! GSP is great addition.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Now your just showing off. Then of course there's that nano second of an instant blip you hear as it changes down.  Great fun.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel

Post by Noel »

RTman10 wrote: I give up again.

Good job, you're slowly learning that when you have nothing meaningful to say beyond out of hand dissing what someone else reports as their experience you should give up trying to sell them on your opinion of what they need.  Good job.

I get it:  RTman10 is the Troll in Chief, Casbar the Dutiful Shill who will say anything as long as it supports his idle, the ToC, and richarbd is the designated Court Jester to keep things light.  Bye Bye Three Stooges
Last edited by Noel on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure if this is a bit of banter or he's buggered off. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Noel wrote:
Good job, you're slowly learning that when you have nothing meaningful to say beyond out of hand dissing what someone else reports as their experience you should give up trying to sell them on your opinion of what they need.  Good job.

I get it:  RTman10 is the Troll in Chief, Casbar the Dutiful Shill who will say anything as long as it supports his idle, the ToC, and richarbd is the designated Court Jester to keep things light.  Bye Bye Three Stooges
[/quote

Really!!! If you bother to read previous threads you will see that myself and RTMan have many spirited exchanges and we do not agree all of the time. If you have to resort to the above kind of posts, your on the wrong forum and you won't be missed.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure if this is a bit of banter or he's buggered off.

Buggered off I would say  8)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

By...... that was fun :eggs:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.