another newbie

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
denis75

another newbie

Post by denis75 »

I've been trolling the site for a while as I recently sold my HD Roadglide and in the process of ordering a 2017 RT in Carbon Metallic.  As our riding season is all but over here in eastern Canada, I decided to wait till next year and I think I'll like the Carbon Metallic.  My question is, I am 6 feet tall with a 32"- 33" inseam.  I tried an RT with the standard seat and seemed fine but just afraid my legs will feel a bit cramped and perhaps the high seat would be better on my knees.  The dealer sold all their RTs but was able to sit on a k1600gt with the seat on the high position with would be the same height as the high seat on the low position and felt fine.  coming from a cruiser, this seems like my biggest concern.  Any feedback would be appreciated.     
guest2360

Re: another newbie

Post by guest2360 »

Having owned both the RT and the 1600, I don't think you can make a decision on what seat you will need.  The 1600 is a bit lower and narrower to start with.  I would say you would be alright with the standard seat.  Lots of us with little legs, 29" and a bit less use the low version.  The standard seat is quite a bit higher.  It's going to be a long winter.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

denis75 wrote:I tried an RT with the standard seat and seemed fine but just afraid my legs will feel a bit cramped and perhaps the high seat would be better on my knees.
Was the standard seat in the low or high position.

Last edited by David. on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I'm 6' tall with a 32 inside leg, and ride the Standard seat on the low setting.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaveCly wrote: I'm 6' tall with a 32 inside leg, and ride the Standard seat on the low setting.

This just goes to show how personal this stuff is.  I'm also 6' tall, with a 32" inside leg.  I ride the standard seat in the high setting and often wish either the seat were higher or the pegs were lower.

Main issue I reckon with changing things like the seat around is then the screen, bars and pegs are likely to be wrong and off we go, round the circle again!

I decided to stick with stock seat, bars and pegs and just fitted the BMW touring screen, which is no taller but is wider so creates less buffeting (for me, at least) around the arms and shoulders...
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I have come from HD s to R-T s. I know your concerns. Riding mainly two up with luggage I find a low seat in the low setting ideal. Still higher than the cruiser you are used to. Ask your dealer - so you can try the low seat option. I am your height and in seam and 13 stone. The switch between HOGs and R-T for me has been fantastic. Enjoy the ride.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

After a test ride I've ordered 2017 RT LE with the high seat option. I found on my 2013 model that the standard seat in the high position was the most comfortable and the shape of the 2017 model seems to make it a little easier to reach the ground.
I'm 5'11" with 32" inside leg. Weight must be around 100kg dressed for the bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Mike wrote: I have come from HD s to R-T s. I know your concerns. Riding mainly two up with luggage I find a low seat in the low setting ideal. Still higher than the cruiser you are used to. Ask your dealer - so you can try the low seat option. I am your height and in seam and 13 stone. The switch between HOGs and R-T for me has been fantastic. Enjoy the ride.

I came from Harleys as well, Heritage Softail and the last one was a CVO RK. I am 5ft 8, with 30 inside leg, I find the standard seat on low setting fine.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

denis75 wrote: I've been trolling the site for a while as I recently sold my HD Roadglide and in the process of ordering a 2017 RT in Carbon Metallic.  As our riding season is all but over here in eastern Canada, I decided to wait till next year and I think I'll like the Carbon Metallic.  My question is, I am 6 feet tall with a 32"- 33" inseam.  I tried an RT with the standard seat and seemed fine but just afraid my legs will feel a bit cramped and perhaps the high seat would be better on my knees.  The dealer sold all their RTs but was able to sit on a k1600gt with the seat on the high position with would be the same height as the high seat on the low position and felt fine.  coming from a cruiser, this seems like my biggest concern.  Any feedback would be appreciated.   

Forgot to mention. My R-T is a 2010 model. I don't know if the seat height has changed for 2017 spec
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The low setting with a low seat is 10mm less.  Suspect the rest are about the same but it feels narrower because of the missing injector ports .
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Mike wrote:
Forgot to mention. My R-T is a 2010 model. I don't know if the seat height has changed for 2017 spec

I'm deffo a tad lower on my LC than I was on Standard seat low setting of the 2013 TC.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaveCly wrote:
I'm deffo a tad lower on my LC than I was on Standard seat low setting of the 2013 TC.

Maybe you've shrunk with age...
denis75

Post by denis75 »

Thanks for the replies/advice.  I'll probably stick with standard seat and use the high position if needed.  I did try the Rt with standard seat at the low position and seemed ok but was a short ride.  I didn't really know there was other seat options so really didn't pay attention to it.  It's going to be a long winter...
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

Congrats on the new bike, condolences on the short season.