Component Warranty Surprise

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Component Warranty Surprise

Post by Our Gee »

A good while ago I had a faulty component (lets call it part A) changed under warranty by my dealer. This event occured about a month prior to my bike's two year warranty running out. The replacement (lets call it part B) failed 11 months after being fitted. I fully expected that the replacement (part B) would have been covered by a 12 month warranty from date of fitting, but alas no. Part B was only warranted for the remaing month of the "original" warranty. The only time that a replacement part would have a 12 month warranty is if it has been "purchased" at list price by the customer.
Fortunately my dealer did negotiate on my behalf and BMW did supply a further replacement free of charge and I paid fitting costs.
After giving this much thought I think I can now see where they are coming from, but all the same it did take me by surprise.
guest2360

Re: Component Warranty Surprise

Post by guest2360 »

Think that's normal practice with everybody's warranty.  If it wasn't some people would ensure items never went out.  There are however certain items BMW don't apply this rule to if they deem them to be suspect from the start.  Switch gear from 2010 onwards and fuel sensors for instance. With the sensors thought they seem to make you pay for the first one that goes after the two years but will then replace them FOC after that.  None of this probably applies to the LC.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You don't need to pay full purchase price, you just need to have made a contribution. How that contribution is decided on, I'm not sure. In my case BMW replaced my exhaust because of flap failure, my bike was 3 months out of warranty. I was asked to make a £60 contribution, this ensured my new exhaust is warrantied for 2 years. If it was replaced free, there would have been no warranty
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTman10 wrote: Think that's normal practice with everybody's warranty. If it wasn't some people would ensure items never went out. There are however certain items BMW don't apply this rule to if they deem them to be suspect from the start. Switch gear from 2010 onwards and fuel sensors for instance. With the sensors thought they seem to make you pay for the first one that goes after the two years but will then replace them FOC after that. None of this probably applies to the LC.
Has there been a recall on the TC Switch Gear?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure.  There was on my 1600 in 2014 when they insisted in changing both even though only one had failed.  There was a recall on the LC for the right hand switch but only on early ones. I think with the TC they wouldn't do anything until it failed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike wrote:Has there been a recall on the TC Switch Gear?
No.

Had one fail in Germany, at the time (2015) the bike was under a used bike warranty. The RHS switch was changed & were on our way again.
If the German dealer had had the LHS switch in stock, they would have changed both. The LHS switch was changed at a later date in the UK.

Don't know if this is still the case with BMW, best check with the dealer.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Casbar wrote: You don't need to pay full purchase price, you just need to have made a contribution. How that contribution is decided on, I'm not sure. In my case BMW replaced my exhaust because of flap failure, my bike was 3 months out of warranty. I was asked to make a £60 contribution, this ensured my new exhaust is warrantied for 2 years. If it was replaced free, there would have been no warranty
Now that is interesting Casbar, obviously had I known this I would have opted to have made a contribution to the replacement cost (if that choice is available). That way at least I will be covered next time it fails, as I'm sure it will !!.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

DaygloDavid wrote: No. Had one fail in Germany, at the time (2015) the bike was under a used bike warranty. The RHS switch was changed & were on our way again.
If the German dealer had had the LHS switch in stock, they would have changed both. The LHS switch was changed at a later date in the UK.
Don't know if this is still the case with BMW, best check with the dealer.
My local dealer said that December 2015 was the last of the FOC replacement switchgear. He also said that BMW had changed their supplier .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had a switch fail,on a GTL shortly after it went onto extrnded warranty.  Guess what, switches not covered by extended warranty.  However I was covered as they had a 60 month warranty on them from date of registration.  No idea when they stopped that.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTman10 wrote: I had a switch fail,on a GTL shortly after it went onto extrnded warranty. Guess what, switches not covered by extended warranty. However I was covered as they had a 60 month warranty on them from date of registration. No idea when they stopped that.
Are switches covered under BMW used bike warranty?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They weren't for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Our Gee wrote: Now that is interesting Casbar, obviously had I known this I would have opted to have made a contribution to the replacement cost (if that choice is available). That way at least I will be covered next time it fails, as I'm sure it will !!.
Our Gee,
If it's any consolation, I had a similar encounter with my last bike, a 13GT, regarding final drive hub corrosion! Whilst still within the 2yr OEM warranty period, it was changed without quibble and FOC! However, the replacement then eventually started to corrode (surprise, surprise!) within a year of being fitted! Needless to say, I kicked up a stink re shoddy quality etc, but alas nil reaction from the Dealer, until.......it was changed under BMW goodwill gesture with a minor financial contribution from myself. They told me that if a customer contributes to the replacement cost, then that will entitle the customer to receive the full 2yr warranty! B cheek!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Surely customer contribution only happens if an item is replaced after the two year warranty has run out and the item is a goodwill replacement.  You can't offer to make a contribution within the 2 year period to extend the items cover beyond the 2 year point.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike wrote:Are switches covered under BMW used bike warranty?
Not sure if mine were covered under the used bike warranty, or, just one of the BMW deals at the time, which seems to have now expired.
gogs01 wrote:My local dealer said that December 2015 was the last of the FOC replacement switchgear.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Steve F wrote: Our Gee,
If it's any consolation, I had a similar encounter with my last bike, a 13GT, regarding final drive hub corrosion! Whilst still within the 2yr OEM warranty period, it was changed without quibble and FOC! However, the replacement then eventually started to corrode (surprise, surprise!) within a year of being fitted! Needless to say, I kicked up a stink re shoddy quality etc, but alas nil reaction from the Dealer, until.......it was changed under BMW goodwill gesture with a minor financial contribution from myself. They told me that if a customer contributes to the replacement cost, then that will entitle the customer to receive the full 2yr warranty! B cheek!!
I guess corrosion wouldn't be covered under used bike warranty?