Potential Beemer Guy - Advice on pending purchase

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
scunny1

Re: Potential Beemer Guy - Advice on pending purchase

Post by scunny1 »

Personally never use cruise control, but the hill start assist has been a really positive step forward. When I read about it thought a bit of a gimmick, but it really is good on hills, especially if you cannot flat feet to the ground.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

CC  on a long trip is nearly a must for me, as is central locking when I get off.
In fact every extra except keyless and the audio unit is a must.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: In fact every extra...the audio unit is a must.

What do you do, hum to yourself?

;) ;)
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i've never used my radio or cd player as above 40mph you cant hear anything from the speakers due to the wind/traffic noise

i guess the newer models have bluetooth, but as i ride with earplugs, that feature is wasted on me
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

ds99 wrote: i've never used my radio or cd player as above 40mph you cant hear anything from the speakers due to the wind/traffic noise

i guess the newer models have bluetooth, but as i ride with earplugs, that feature is wasted on me

Everybody knows that the speakers are a total waste of time.  They're only there to tempt US Harley riders to switch to BMW and are intended for real-world use.

However, I too wear earplugs 100% of the time - custom-fitted, non-attenuated ones - and yet Bluetooth and/or Autocom in-helmet speakers work perfectly.  I can listen to radio, music and even talking books at a sensible volume with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever.

Of course, sometimes I choose not to because I want focus on the road but to reject in-helmet comms just because you wear earplugs is total nonsense.  Maybe you just try stuff before rejecting it.  You never know, you might like it!

:alas:
ds99

Post by ds99 »

mmm.. i would have assumed that earplugs + internal helmet speakers would not work.

maybe i need to try some
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have had an audio unit on very bike for the last 10 years but my present LC came without one.  I don't miss it having loaded the Nav V with music .  Never bothered with a radio . Also always use ear plugs but have no problems hearing it at any speed. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

I went from an '05 ST1300 to a K1600GT, then just recently on to the R1200RT (LC).  One point that still sticks out for me is that Honda and BMW take completely different perspectives on what is supposed to happen if you drop the bike in a parking lot.  That mistake typically cost me something like eleven dollars (to replace the plastic cover over the factory-provided tipover bar) with the Honda.  When I bought the K1600, I didn't even realize that one is supposed to get factory or aftermarket engine bars just to save the heads from damage if you drop it, and even with those, the plastic parts that get damaged in a typical drop cost about $800. 

So I bought the R1200RT with the engine protectors BMW sells for the job, and picked the bike specifically because it is a lot lighter than the K1600.  If I do drop it, it will still be pricy to fix, but hopefully the engine will be fine.  I feel that the R1200RT (mine is a '16) is a little easier to manage at slow speed than the Honda, and million times easier than the K16.  The hill-hold feature is nice - a worthwhile option if you are aiming for manageability.

The boxer motor takes some getting used to.  Fair to say that I'm not there yet, but am feeling pretty good about it.  BMW seems to have done a good job of damping much of the vibration.  Grip buddies helped, too.  Still getting used to the way the kickstand has to be operated because of the boxer motor, but its just different.  I have a 29 inch inseam and bought the low seat, but found I wasn't getting used to it and put Sargent's low seat on it, which turns out to be more comfortable IMO.  Next time I would be tempted to buy the standard seat and just put it in the low position.  Recommend test riding in that configuration, as well as with the low seat.

The only maintenance I don't plan to do myself is valve work.  BMW does call for a bit more than your ST1300 needs.  You'll want to check the owners manual for the year(s) you are considering to see what you're in for.  I found the K1600 to be a little needy and a little quirky, but the RT seems less so.

I find that BMW puts its priorities in a completely different place when it comes to shifting.  The transmission/clutch designs in the K1600 and the late-model R1200RT feel overtly optimized for fast upshifts, and can be harder to deal with on downshifts, particularly in the 2-N-1 neighborhood.  Folks in the BMW community seem to feel this is normal, but it does bug me a little.  I am told that particularly for 2-up riding, running the bike in "RAIN" mode is helpful.

Oh, yeah, and I find that the bluetooth audio in my helmet is actually better with earplugs in!  I particularly like the 3M Classic plugs for this, and find they are better if I use new ones with every other ride or so.

richardbd

Post by richardbd »

ds99 wrote: mmm.. i would have assumed that earplugs + internal helmet speakers would not work.

maybe i need to try some

good plan...
mick9687

Post by mick9687 »

I came off a 2005 ST like yours.  First, 2014 LC seems 150 lbs lighter.  Throw it around the garage like a bicycle.  I am an experienced rider and dropped the ST 4 times in four years at 0 MPH.  Second, heat on the ST was an absolute killer when it was warm.  BMW has absolute zero heat  Third, cruise, ABS, GPS are fantastic.  Completely change the touring experience for the better.  Fourth, the 'personality' they talk about with the BMW is real.  Just as fast, a little better handling, bigger hard bags, better in nearly every category.  ST had a better engine in terms of power availability at any RPM, but that's it. Fifth, as good as wind protection was on the ST, way better on the BMW.  About the same rain protection but no buffeting at speed and smooth air pocket.  Took the new BMW for 12 day cross country this fall and it was great.  Going longer next summer.
My BMW dealer gave me a fair deal on a 2014 for my old ST and it was a good decision.  Just do it, You won't be sorry