Electrical Putty ?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Electrical Putty ?

Post by Our Gee »

Having just had a 3rd, or was it 4th, replacement nearside handlebar switch cluster I am keen to give this latest replacement the best chance of surviving more than a year or so.

I have noted that the cable entry point at the bottom part of the switch is a weak area and does not provide an effective weather / moisture seal. In fact it's so poor that it's easy to peer inside the switch body and see the different coloured wires.

A few years ago I was dismantling some electrical wigit (can't remember just what it was) and I noted that the inards was protected by some resin type material. It had a consistancy like soft putty or Blu Tack and was black in colour.

I had the idea of sealing this "opening" but don't want to use something like silicone as this would be a semi permanent and possibly messy way to go.
So I did a google search for Electrical Putty and one supplier is listed. The product is described as for sealing electrical switches, glands and junction boxes etc. which does sound ideal.

The cost however, at around £10 plus postage is a bit on the high side.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.  Thanks.

Levisp

Re: Electrical Putty ?

Post by Levisp »

Sorry cannot help you with this directly. However I have used this product

http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgama ... tid=105798

to seal electrical connectors. The tape has a thin backing that you peel off, leaving you with a thin rubber tape which is sticky. When you wrap it around a connector you can then press it together and it moulds into one very watertight seal. Its not the same as insulating tape.

Maybe you could use this where the cable comes out of the switch.

O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

I feel your pain, but economics would suggest that 10GBP is less expensive than a repeat failure.  Bite the bullet.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

As water is bound to enter around the switches  should there not be a way out for it at the bottom of the switch unit?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

exportman wrote: As water is bound to enter around the switches  should there not be a way out for it at the bottom of the switch unit?
Do you know, I never thought of that, you just might have something there. Hmmm  !!.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

There is always the white electrical silicone grease that you could protect the innards with?
No need to fill the chamber, just place it where it matters...?
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !