BMW Communicator

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
gogs01

BMW Communicator

Post by gogs01 »

I've read a few negative comments on the BMW communicator.
I have a BMW system 6 helmet fitted with the communicator and have found it worked pretty well with the Navigator IV and with my phone via the Navigator IV.  It also worked well enough with a pillion and was just about adequate for keeping in touch bike to bike.

Currently I am without a Navigator and thought I would pair communicator to phone direct (I have a Windows smart phone).  That has me stumped.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible and, if so, HOW ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Re: BMW Communicator

Post by guest2360 »

On an Autocom BT dongle you can pair your phone directly to it for auto answering.  Maybe the BMW headset will do the Same.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote: On an Autocom BT dongle you can pair your phone directly to it for auto answering. Maybe the BMW headset will do the Same.
Maybe I'll have to dig my old Autocom out of the garage .....
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

No need for Autocom; the BMW comms system an be paired directly with a phone.

Answer in here...

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/com/en/in ... &notrack=1
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No good without the BTM02 dongle, or the internal BT unit that might work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Many thanks - I'd been there before, but re-reading plus several attempts and - lo and behold - it's easy !
Switch on, press and hold on/off button together with +button until flashing light speeds up, release immediately and see phone confirm it has picked it up. Ask wife to call and hear ring in helmet, automatic answer and clear communication. Excellent.
Now to try to get a satnav app downloaded and see if that will speak to me. If that works I might have to ask myself why I paid so much money for a Navigator V .....
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thought you said you didn't have a GPS, or is that just a temporary thing.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

RTman10 wrote:Thought you said you didn't have a GPS, or is that just a temporary thing.
Yes, sorry - temporary.  I traded in a Navigator IV with my 2013 TC and I've ordered a V with the new bike.
I can get the use of the demo Iconic in the meantime but it doesn't come with a satnav.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think you will discover the V is worth the money.  Much improved over the IV with a brighter bigger screen and improved prompts.  Using you phone through it is much better than just auto answer. It's also nice being able to connect it to your pc or to charge it without removing the battery cover.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Think you will discover the V is worth the money.  Much improved over the IV with a brighter bigger screen and improved prompts.  Using you phone through it is much better than just auto answer. It's also nice being able to connect it to your pc or to charge it without removing the battery cover.

I have a V.  I think it's the most over-priced piece of over-branded BMW stuff I've ever had/bought.  Quite apart from the fact that the integration with the wheel is far poorer on RT than GS, there is almost nothing intuitive about the way the Nav V works.  I greatly prefer my old Zumo 550, which works as if it was actually designed for the purpose a biker puts a satnav to.  Nav V to me seems just like a lift from a car.

I actually look forward to having a bike where I don't have to use it!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You don't like it then.  But the 550.  It's only one stage on from an AA road map and the size of a  first class stamp. Do Garmin still support it.

blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

The Nav 5 has a faster processor than any of the earlier ones and this shows on the screen which as well as being bigger has way better graphics. Or you can save the price of a tyre and have an old one on  a twenty grand bike. I've never had the after thought that 'I wish I'd bought the cheaper one'.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Can't argue with any of that.  Even if it did start life in a car.  Recently had a lift on a New Toyota Civic.  Was amazed to see a Nav V display in the middle of the dash.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: You don't like it then.  But the 550.  It's only one stage on from an AA road map and the size of a  first class stamp. Do Garmin still support it.

No, Garmin don't support the 550 any more.  Doesn't stop it being a far better tool for "proper" route building and so on than the Nav 5.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's progress and development for you. Take care, I've heard of instances where people have tried to update them and they die.