BMW Communicator

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: BMW Communicator

Post by richardbd »

blokeonthemove wrote: The Nav 5 has a faster processor than any of the earlier ones and this shows on the screen which as well as being bigger has way better graphics. Or you can save the price of a tyre and have an old one on  a twenty grand bike. I've never had the after thought that 'I wish I'd bought the cheaper one'.

The only reason it needs a faster processor is because it has overly-fancy graphics which do precisely nothing when it comes to helping me find my way.  It certainly doesn't recalculate routes/alterationsersions any faster than the 550 - in fact, I'd say the opposite.

It's way more complex to use - and harder to master (witness all the forum posts about people who can't figure it out). 

It costs £600 - which is stupid, even by BMW standards.

It is way more difficult to share routes between units.

Every time I want to access the SD card, I have to get a screwdriver out and remove the battery.

I can't believe anybody would ever pick a Nav 5 if it weren't for the integrated mount and the wheel.

I have one for two years and used it most days of the week, either for car-type tasks (take me there) or bike-tour tasks (follow this route).  In my considered opinion, it's a piece of over-priced crap that I deeply resent being forced to buy.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In 2001 I got a Navigator I.  Now that was premium kit.  It lost satellites if it was less than 50 yds from a tree, needed a CD with a code once a year to update and had a pea sized memory.  Cost was £1200 without the mount. Can't see why you find the V difficult to programme.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Can't see why you find the V difficult to programme.

I don't find it difficult any more but you have to put a lot of effort into figuring it out because so much of the menu structures is non-intuitive.

You only have to look at all the posts on most BMW forums to know that it's not been well thought through.

You know I'm not a BMW basher.  Nor do I whinge about costs when it comes to quality kit.  What I do object to is stupid prices for inferior stuff and/or the way BMW "force" you into buying their over-priced add-ons by engineering stuff so that it doesn't work properly with other brands.  The Nav V is one example.  The poor integration of non-BMW bluetooth is another.

In the end, I guess it works because idiots like me buy it, despite its clear inferiority...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wasn't aware it didn't connect well with non BMW Bluetooth kit, thought that was just the audio unit.  As I came from a IV to a V maybe I was more easily impressed with it.  Better stop this discussion in case we wake up Noel again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Wasn't aware it didn't connect well with non BMW Bluetooth kit, thought that was just the audio unit.  As I came from a IV to a V maybe I was more easily impressed with it.  Better stop this discussion in case we wake up Noel again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I must have a different Nav V. Started with a Zumo 660, the Nav V is way better, quicker larger screen and I have found no issues with navigating the menus. As for connecting to BT, mine works fine with the Scala Pactalk, connects everytime without fail. As for the wonder wheel, I've never had a GS so don't miss the extra functionality, I use mine to go from point A to B, and also upload routes from Basecamp, which to be honest I'm still struggling with. But overall I'm very happy with it and do not think its an overpriced piece of crap.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Richard obviously has a thing about it but it does give him the chance to type the word crap on a regular basis.  And he's normally a very sensible well informed fellow.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote: The poor integration of non-BMW bluetooth is another.
Works fine for me with phone and headset connected via bluetooth  :)
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote: Every time I want to access the SD card, I have to get a screwdriver out and remove the battery.
Why? It appears on my PC so have no need to remove it.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
nav v.jpg
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Benchmark wrote: Why? It appears on my PC so have no need to remove it.
[attachimg=1]

Try syncing to a mac...

I'm on my third Nav 5 unit in two years because of faulty connectivity...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Try syncing to a mac...

I'm on my third Nav 5 unit in two years because of faulty connectivity...

I've only got a mac  8)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
I've only got a mac  8)

Maybe my problem is a bad case of recurring user-error.

Alternatively, maybe I just get hacked off at paying through the nose - £600 for something that can be done perfectly effectively for under £100.

>:( >:( [size=78%] [/size]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Who makes a waterproof, shockproof motorcycle GPS for £100?
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Who makes a waterproof, shockproof motorcycle GPS for £100?

OK - I give up and agree.  £600 for a device that does something my phone does better for free is a good deal...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ya, but your not going to glue your i phone to your dash wrapped in a plastic bag.  Even on a reject.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
OK - I give up and agree.  £600 for a device that does something my phone does better for free is a good deal...

Didn't pay anywhere near £600 for my Nav V, my dealer was doing a deal :)