Seat hight

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

Seat hight

Post by Boroboystu »

I am 6ft 4 inches tall with an inside leg measurement of 32/33 inches are there any other tall riders that ride an RT on here that can give me there opinion? I know the distance in inches from the top of the seat to the foot peg on the GSA is 23.5 inches and that suites me fine , although I haven't ridden it , I still have my heart set on the RT if it's practical? If not it will be a GS of some configuration
vulcanbike
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Re: Seat hight

Post by vulcanbike »

I'm not as tall at 6ft 2in, but have a 34 inch inseam. I find the seat on the high position works nicley. Completed a west to east coast and back again ride this summer covering 13,000kms. Love the bike.
Attachments
St. Lawerense .jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Go sit on one.  Everyone is different so you will never get the same answer twice.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Also depends on what you wear. If I ride in jeans or textiles I can flat foot to the ground, if I wear leathers then more on tip toes. Guess thickness and " amount of give" of clothing affects reach, due to slight pushing out of thighs with bulkier trousers.
Last edited by scunny1 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

Am also on the tall side at 6'6". I have no bother at all with the seat height or ride position, if I am in textiles rather than leather I can comfortably do 100 miles between breaks when touring... different again in leathers thi
O.. about 45!!!!.

Life is like a toilet roll.. the closer to the end you get the faster it goes..
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Boroboystu wrote: I am 6ft 4 inches tall with an inside leg measurement of 32/33 inches are there any other tall riders that ride an RT on here that can give me there opinion? I know the distance in inches from the top of the seat to the foot peg on the GSA is 23.5 inches and that suites me fine , although I haven't ridden it , I still have my heart set on the RT if it's practical? If not it will be a GS of some configuration
Standard Seat set in high position. After 50 miles you'll love it. ;)
duegatti
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by duegatti »

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam.  I'm going to recommend the high seat for you.  I've got the high seat on the high position.  I can flat-foot the bike and have excellent ground clearance.  If I could have a higher seat (and it looks like I'm going to get one with a Russell Day Long), I'd have it.  You might be alright with the stock seat/high position, but I think you'll be appreciably better with a high seat/high position.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

It's more of my legs not being cramped rather than flat foot the floor ! The think I like about the GSA your legs are in front of you and seem plenty of stretch room , albeit it's not an RT and that's what I had my heart set on , don't suppose I know until I ride the thing
duegatti
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by duegatti »

Leg room is of great value to me.  I cannot imagine that you would not strongly prefer the high seat on the RT.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't quite understand "on the GSA your legs are in front of you.  Same engine, gearbox control configuration and same frame.  Puts your foot pegs in the same place. Unless the seat is a lot further back the only difference is height.  But as you say, until
You ride one, sny one, who knows.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

I just meant because there is a bit more drop between the seat and the foot pegs your legs tend to fall forward a bit more
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Boroboystu wrote: I just meant because there is a bit more drop between the seat and the foot pegs your legs tend to fall forward a bit more
Whilst there is no substitute for trying them in the real world cycle ergo gives you an idea of knee, hip angles and forward lean on bikes.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
Attachments
rt.png
gsa.png
Last edited by guest3074 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Thanks for that mate , makes things a lot clearer