Battery Charging

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
futterweasel

Re: Battery Charging

Post by futterweasel »

Or just get them to order the din plug lead when you order the charger £16.99 works out the same then It is advertised as can-bus compatible if you read on (With OptiMate 4 Dual Program you can now either charge the battery direct, or select the program to charge via the 12V port on CAN-bus equipped BMW motorcycles.)[/font][/size]
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Mine was take it out the box , plug in both ends, forget.  With of course a 2 year warranty.  Didn't spend £16K  on a bike to scrimp on things to plug into,it.

Same oh same oh - Optimate works fine, bought mine from Nippy Norman works well. Good job I didn't spend 16k on my bike and bought it used. But the Optimate was also fine on my 26k Harley, so have every confidence in the chargers  8)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've now had my Datatool battery charger for 12 years & it's still going strong. Have leads bolted directly to the batteries on the car, XJ650 & RT without any problems.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaygloDavid wrote: I've now had my Datatool battery charger for 12 years & it's still going strong. Have leads bolted directly to the batteries on the car, XJ650 & RT without any problems.

Infact one of my optmates is merrily charging the battery of our Honda Blood bike, through its accessory socket as well, and I can report all is well!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

THE PROPER ONE
[size=14px]Battery charger[size=12px]Product description[size=11px][size=12px]High-quality, microprocessor-controlled charger and float charger.[/size][size=12px]For 12V motorcycle batteries.[/size][/size][size=12px]Details[size=11px][size=12px]High-quality, microprocessor-controlled charger and float charger for 12V motorcycle batteries.[/size][size=12px]Suitable for:[size=11px][size=12px]Ordinary lead-acid batteries and maintenance-free lead-acid batteries (gel or AGM), with capacities between 6 [/size][size=12px]and 25 Ah.[/size][size=12px]Also for motorcycles with CAN bus technology.[/size][/size][/size][size=12px]Charging via the motorcycle's on-board socket or alternatively with the enclosed adapter cable connected directly [/size][size=12px]to the battery terminals of the motorcycle battery.[size=11px][size=12px]Fully automatic, by application of the charge characteristics stored in the microprocessor's memory.[/size][size=12px]The device can remain connected to the vehicle or to the battery for a lengthy period of time. Charging cycles [/size][size=12px]are run, the battery is monitored and recharged as necessary.[/size][/size][/size][size=12px]Proof against short circuit, polarity reversal and overload.[/size][size=12px]Sturdy plastic housing.[/size][size=12px]Paint-text output in the display: readings for battery charge status and activities in the charger.[size=11px][size=12px]Choice of 6 display languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese. Touchpad controls for changing settings.[/size][/size][/size][size=12px]Supplied complete with adapter cable for direct connection to battery.[/size][/size][size=12px]Technical data[size=11px][size=12px]Operating voltage and line plug as per national-market specification:[size=11px][size=12px]230 V / 50 Hz, power cord with type C plug (Euro-standard plug).[/size][size=12px]110 V / 60 Hz, power cord with type A plug.[/size][size=12px]UK: 230 V / 50 Hz, power cord with type G plug (special UK plug).[/size][/size][/size][size=12px]Charge voltage: 12 V.[/size][size=12px]Maximum charge current: 2.5 A.[/size][size=12px]Charge termination voltage: 14.4 V.[/size]
[/size]
[/list]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If I had to replace my Datatool chrager, I'd go for one of these at £50 or less, http://accumate.co.uk/accumate.htm, with a 2 year warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUAOmexBjY

Versatile, 4-step, automatic charger and maintainer for all modern and classic 6 & 12V lead-acid batteries up to 75Ah.
Perfect for all types of rechargeable lead-acid batteries: filler cap types; absorbed acid "MF" for motorcycles; valve regulated (VRLA); & GEL-electrolyte types.
Very easy to use - Select 6V or 12V charging output according to battery type and then connect to battery and mains power. The rest is fully automatic.
Comprehensive & intelligent LED indications - AC power on; battery voltage selection; wrong polarity connection; charging; and maintain (charge completed).
The green maintain (charge completed) LED means exactly that, charging has been completed.
No risk of overcharging – designed for long-term connection. AccuMate`s special monitoring circuits vary & regulate the current & voltage exactly according to the battery manufacturer’s specifications.
SAFE & foolproof - No worries about wrong connections, accidentally shorting the battery clamps or blowing fuses. Automatic protection even suppresses sparks.
Compact, yet powerful - Will safely charge 12V batteries discharged to as low as 3V (1.5V for 6V batteries) when other chargers are unable to. Charging time equal to a 3 Amp conventional charger despite the compact size.
No risk of overheating - Automatic temperature control regulates charge current to a safe level in hot or enclosed conditions.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

leonjennings wrote: Im about to collect my new to me R1200rt from 2012. i have asked the Non BMW garage to supply a Canbus compatible charger. They have said they will and will be connecting the standard lead permanently onto the battery so i just need to plug the charger into it. Now my question is will this is ANY way damage or potentially damage the electronic components on the bike?

the charger they are supplying dent have the BMW socket lead in the box so i guess i could get or make one at a later date.

Simple answer - a direct connection to the battery - no.  No issues whatsoever.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: THE PROPER ONE

No need to shout !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm not.  I'm educating. :enjoying:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:If I had to replace my Datatool chrager, I'd go for one of these at £50 or less, http://accumate.co.uk/accumate.htm, with a 2 year warranty.
£40 from Argos, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCUMATE-6V-1 ... 2759405675

A battery & charger for £90, now that's a bargain.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

We will soon be digging in Poundland. 
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

The CTEK is the car charger.  This is the official motorcycle BMW charger and it's $200 USD

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

CTEK make loads of battery chargers,
e.g. the MXS 7.0 is either less than £100 from Amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00604UABY
or over £200 from Rolls Royce, http://www.smarterchargers.co.uk/index. ... uct_id=108

Stick a badge on it & charge twice the price.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will not find a battery charger that looks anything like the Moyorrad one and with its display with any other badge on it.  Suppose they could have just built another case round something else but I somehow doubt that. 
It's the same with their helmets.  Schuberth clones. Problem with that is they are not connected to Schuberth in any way.  They are made by ..........
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

Delighted i caused a LITTLE debate; just shocked this has gone so far. Anyone would thought i asked an oil question. :clap: :alas:
2012 SE