Just bought new BMW battery charger for CAN bus system.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
freyguy17

Just bought new BMW battery charger for CAN bus system.

Post by freyguy17 »

Paid 182 dollars US.  Well worth it.  I bought it from a dealer who 1) explained why it is not wise to scrimp on a charger for a 20000 dollar motorcycle, and 2) explained how many guys he's already dealt with who have fried their electronics by NOT following the instructions in the BMW manual. The charger is first rate, high quality, and a real techical marvel, indeed.  I highly recommend it IF you want to keep it plugged into your 1200RT via the standard plug that is factory pre-wired.
(I own a 2015 1200RT, Ebony).
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Just bought new BMW battery charger for CAN bus system.

Post by richardbd »

Can somebody please explain to me the need for a battery charger?

I keep my RT in a garage and ride it year round.  Starts first time, every time.  Or at least it has for the two years and 12,000 miles I've had it.

Same for the Multistrada before that and the Stelio before that...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Some people might not use them for a couple of months and just want to ensure it will start.  Additionally if you totally flatten an AGM battery it will probably be dead.  Used at least once a week, definitely not necessary.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you don't ride for months on end and you leave the alarm active, then the battery is being drained.
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

richardbd:

I need a battery maintainer for 2 reasons: 1) In Ohio, USA, it often gets under 0 degrees F in the December to March range.  I am physically unable to ride in those temps, for safety reasons.  2)  Since a BMW battery, here where I live, costs about 150 to 180 dollar US, a battery charger is a cheap way to go.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

freyguy17 wrote: richardbd:

I need a battery maintainer for 2 reasons: 1) In Ohio, USA, it often gets under 0 degrees F in the December to March range.  I am physically unable to ride in those temps, for safety reasons.  2)  Since a BMW battery, here where I live, costs about 150 to 180 dollar US, a battery charger is a cheap way to go.

but isn't it easier just to disconnect the battery?
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

But, if I disconnect (a hassle), then I have to maintain the battery's charge.  Why not just use a BMW charger ?  The charger's cost easily justifies the money it will save, longer term, IMHO.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

freyguy17 wrote: But, if I disconnect (a hassle),then I have to maintain the battery's charge.  Why not just use a BMW charger ?  The charger's cost easily justifies the money it will save, longer term, IMHO.
+1 :) . That's why BMW developed the canbus charger.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Well, I tried to buy the latest Optimate at my dealer.  They said, keep the old Optimate 3 and wire directly to the battery.  Either they are right or like selling batteries.  Time will tell!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Well, I tried to buy the latest Optimate at my dealer.  They said, keep the old Optimate 3 and wire directly to the battery.  Either they are right or like selling batteries.  Time will tell!

They are wrong, I have been using the latest Optimate for can bus for over a year now, infact I've got two as I had two bikes. The BMW adaptor fits right into the aux plug and maintains the battery fine.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thing to keep in mind is that the LC is not can bus but linbus I don't know the technical differences but I would not test it out on an aftermarket charger just to save a bit of cash.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Thing to keep in mind is that the LC is not can bus but linbus I don't know the technical differences but I would not test it out on an aftermarket charger just to save a bit of cash.

Not this old chestnut again, Canbus, Linbus not much difference except Lin is the cheaper option, Nippy Normans sell the Optimate specifically for the 2014 onwards bike, I spoke to Optimate they confirmed the conditioner is fine for the BMW, some dealers sell them. But of course it doesn't have the coveted Bring My Wallet badge on it, so it must be crap.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So being a simpler system maybe not as robust and might object to Chinese made chargers[emoji847]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: So being a simpler system maybe not as robust and might object to Chinese made chargersImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And of course you know Mr BMW builds its own chargers (or do they re-badge) in good old Deutschland. And the perception that everything built in Germany is good, might be a bit of a stretch as well. Even Germans have dubious quality sometimes, I can vouch for that having owned many VWs and Audi cars.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Made in Germany - by BMW.