Temp Gauge on WC Bikes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jglawso1

Temp Gauge on WC Bikes

Post by jglawso1 »

The temp gauge on my two month old 2016 RT used to stay at 5 bars regardless of whether I was in stop and go traffic or not.  Now, after two months of ownership I am experiencing 6-7 bars in stop and go traffic and 5 bars the rest of the time.  The stop and go traffic was in the 80-90 F range when the bike was always at 5 bars.  The temps now when I experience the 6-7 bars in stop and go traffic is in the 70-80 F range.  Would like to know how my readings compare to others that ride a water cooled BMW. 

Jim
guest2360

Re: Temp Gauge on WC Bikes

Post by guest2360 »

Sound normal to me.  Do you hear the fan switching on when the guage goes up.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I'd have thought that sounds about normal given the ambient OATs you quote.
jglawso1

Post by jglawso1 »

I do hear the fan go on when the temp bar goes up.  Glad to know my bike seems normal.  I appreciate the replies.  I can rest easier now.

Thanks
Jim
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Yep, mine does that too.
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

Yep, that sounds pretty normal with what you've described.

At 7 bars the fan will soon come on and bring it back to 6.

Once you start moving again, it will come back to 5.

That fan really gets rid of some heat if you stick your hand down there.

AD
wethead

Post by wethead »

Personally, I have a disdain in my soul for these stupid bars...WTF do those bars mean exactly?

Why not just put a number for the temp that the radiator hits and thus, be clear about when the bike heats, cools, needs fan etc.

I guess that's too much information to provide the consumer.

Not as critical of kind of information, but the same for the fuel gauge: how about a 1/2 and 1/4 tank indicators like every other fuel gauge in the universe.

What does one ask oneself when there are x amount of bars left in the tank? Oh, I have two bars, I better get gas...oh I have three bars, I better get gas...

I feel better now! :gaia:

No the tank volume is not meaured by bars and I don't buy gas by the bar either.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just put miles left in the tank on display and forget the bars until they turn red.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Just put miles left in the tank on display and forget the bars until they turn red.

Then you just worry about the range instead!

:alas:
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Before my RT, I had bikes that gave not much or no information. I now appreciate any information if it is reasonably accurate, whether it is tank range, fuel left, temperature etc, so much better than no information. The format matters little.