Which intercom.... bike to bike....

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

thousands to choose from any help appreciated. Would like bike to bike and rider to pillion :))
Life is like a toilet roll.. the closer to the end you get the faster it goes..
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Which intercom.... bike to bike....

Post by Sullivj »

I recently purchased a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sena-SMH5-FM-0 ... na+smh5+fm

You can get a good deal on a twin pack.

I don't often listen to the radio, but got the one with built in radio as it has a longer range than the sena SMH5 without.  My requirement was for a bike to bike intercom that wasn't stupidly expensive, but worked well.  Having read about 50 reviews of different ones, I settled with the Sena.

I have it with the boom mike (open face helmet), which works VERY well.  I can have a telephone conversation with the wife (via Bluetooth), with the open face helmet open at 40mph, and she hears no wind noise at all.  She doesn't even know I'm on the bike.

The bike to bike range is about 700m.  Sometimes it drops out if you lose your buddy at a junction, but will re-connect when back in range.

For the money I paid, it's a great piece of kit.  The battery life and sound quality are both superb.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Dennian wrote: thousands to choose from any help appreciated. Would like bike to bike and rider to pillion :))
I have the BMW system 6 evo helmet with the BMW communicator. It works well with satnav, phone and pillion. It works adequately bike to bike - very short range compared to Sena and the like.  If you have to buy helmets and communicators you may need to take out a mortgage ! :wonder:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I had the same problem. Thousands to choose from. Took some good advice from the owner of Bargain Biker Brands. Ended up with Sena. Great piece of kit.
https://www.bargainbikerbrands.com/moto ... ml?cat=854
They installed into helmets FOC.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Which Sena did you get Mike?

I see they don't appear to stock the SMH5 FM (extended range).  Just the standard SMH5.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

It our preference not to be linked rider to pillion - so I bought "Sena 3S Bluetooth Intercom - Wired Boom Microphone" because I use a flip front helmet. Hooked it up through Motorrad/Garmin Smart phone Link app. Got some discount on price - I gave them £84:00. Works very well. Holds its 8 hour talk easily. 2 hours to fully charge. Small & Discrete on/off volume control is the only external part. :D
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Scala Rider Pactalk for me. Higher end, but really good kit. Your either a Sena or Cardo person, I personally prefer Cardo kit.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: ...Your either a Sena or Cardo person...

Don't forget Autocom - still the oldest and the best!

;)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Don't forget Autocom - still the oldest and the best!

;)

Don't start me off on Autocom again  8)  He did say bike to bike, although I have got a Motorola PMR radio if anyone wants one, that I used to use when I had wires.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
Don't start me off on Autocom again  8)  He did say bike to bike, although I have got a Motorola PMR radio if anyone wants one, that I used to use when I had wires.

I use Autocom with Kenwood radios for ride training with IAM.  Works like a dream...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
I use Autocom with Kenwood radios for ride training with IAM.  Works like a dream...

But isn't that one way comms, i.e. you talk to your victims. When I did my ROSPA and IAM it was one way comms, with a bloody ear piece which hurt like ten.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
But isn't that one way comms, i.e. you talk to your victims. When I did my ROSPA and IAM it was one way comms, with a bloody ear piece which hurt like ten.

On Observed Rides, it's one way but it's easy to either change the second headset for a two-way one and/or just connect the second radio to an in-helmet headset when you're out with mates.

I know I sound like a luddite but I still think PMR works better than bluetooth for bike-to-bike.  That said, I haven't tried Packtalk.

Also, in my defence, I do have BMW communicator in my System 6 Evo and at times I have to admit, not being tethered to the bike is a blessing.  In the winter, I feel like an astronaut connecting all the heated gear and comms stuff everytime I get off and on!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Whatever works. Packtalk is an amazing bit of kit, but only if your mates have a Packtalk, otherwise you are back to good old blue tooth if others have normal bt kit.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I spent a number of years selling Kenwoods connected to Autocoms.  Great when you set them up and send them on their way.  Bloody nightmare when owners  fiddle with them and insist it's all faulty.  Amateur bike to bike these days, go Bluetooth.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I spent a number of years selling Krnwoods connected to Autocoms.  Great when you set them up and send them on their way.  Bloody nightmare when owners  fiddle with them and insist it's all faulty.  Amateur bike to bike these days, go Bluetooth.

I thought you were Captain Autocom??