Tom tom mount

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Tom tom mount

Post by exportman »

Hi

As I already had a tomtom and have been using them for years I was not going to fork out for a Garmin device.

However I did want to put the tomtom in the same place.

First thing I did was set about removing the Garmin mount.

Next was work out how to mount the Tomtom.  My solution was simple    I purchased a Hasp and Staple from a diy shop

This is mounted vertically  just drilled the  mounting point  and used nuts and bolts to hold it in place.  Then once I had the location sorted  I drilled the hasp to accept the tomtom mount and secured that to it.

Next I needed a way to make it stay in place    Simple solution a couple of neodymium magnets  taken from an old server hard drive

Power is via a fuse box in behind the right hand speaker cover,  This is fed from the battery through a fused relay . Switch feed is connected to the aux power socket.  This fuse box is also powering my dash-cam set up and some LED auxiliary marker lights used when filtering  just to make me a little more noticeable

Finally just to tidy it up a bit  a piece of Carbon effect plastic  to cover the holes and cut outs behind the garmin mount.

Just need to tidy up the wiring a bit  when I get five mins to spare.

Attachments
satnav 4.jpg
Satnav 3.jpg
satnav 2.jpg
Satnav 1.jpg
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Tom tom mount

Post by richardbd »

Very ingenious I have to admit.

Not sure what it'll do for the resale value of the bike though, assuming it came with satnav prep and connectivity to the wonder wheel. 

notnot
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure what it'll do for the resale value of the bike though, assuming it came with satnav prep and connectivity to the wonder wheel. 

Who used to say Not a lot.  But it's only one of a few alterations the bike Has already had.  But it's his bike.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I can restore the Garmin mount and it will cover the extra holes I made.  It just plugs in behind the fairing.

All the  wires can be removed  and the  Pannier lids can be returned to the full size ones.

Everything I have changed  can be changed back with very little evidence

So should not be an issue.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Very innovative. Thanks for sharing.

Is it a TOMTOM rider, running on 12v, or a car TOMTOM running on 5v. If the latter, how did you deal with the power change?
Last edited by Sullivj on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Sullivj wrote:
Is it a TOMTOM rider, running on 12v, or a car TOMTOM running on 5v. If the latter, how did you deal with the power change?

The tomtom rider motorcycle dock requires a 12v feed  it provides the step down to 5v required by the tomtom unit.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

exportman wrote: Hi
I can restore the Garmin mount and it will cover the extra holes I made.  It just plugs in behind the fairing.
All the  wires can be removed  and the  Pannier lids can be returned to the full size ones.
Everything I have changed  can be changed back with very little evidence

So should not be an issue.

In that case, I take my hat off to you - very clever adaptation.
:clap: :clap:
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Sullivj wrote: Very innovative. Thanks for sharing.

If the latter, how did you deal with the power change?

Assuming you have not got the audio kit I would either power this from a cig socket  adaptor  or add a USB adaptor  from the AUX socket on the right hand side.  If you have not got the audio kit then behind the speaker covers is a lot of space you can use to keep everything out of sight, neat and tidy.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Joining things to the auxiliary socket can stop it working as a battery charger attachment as they detect a drain and switch off.
BMW ones will.show you an error.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

RTman10 wrote: Joining things to the auxiliary socket can stop it working as a battery charger attachment as they detect a drain and switch off.
BMW ones will.show you an error.

I have it just serving a relay  that then provides the power direct from the battery for everything else.

Just out of interest  my mate has a GS  he has the special charger  but it does not work very well the bike would not start this morning
Its two years old and the battery is dead.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The charger would have shown him the battery voltage so he should have been aware there was a problem.  The GS has an AGM battery.  If they are allowed to go flat it normally kills them.  I'm sure he would have complained to his dealer if it was only 2 years old.