Average Speed Cameras - UK & EU

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
guest3954

Average Speed Cameras - UK & EU

Post by guest3954 »

Has anyone got a definitive answer on these (polite responses only please  ;)). if you are in a average speed controlled zone and you stop for a break - when you exit the zone - how is the average calculated. UK & EU.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Average Speed Cameras - UK & EU

Post by Sullivj »

Mike, where they are in force (motorways), I don't think there are places to stop for a break, unless you break down.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Lots of A Roads close to me have them  :(
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As the name implies it's your average speed between them.  So on a section 1  mile long you could do 90 mph for 1/2 a mile then 45 mph for the next half a mile and you would be recorded as doing 67mph, I think.  Too cold here to be sure.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

They work by using an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system to record a vehicle's front number plate at each fixed site. As the distance is known between these sites, the average speed can be calculated by dividing this by the time taken to travel between two points.

Interesting bit is front number plate, how does that work on a bike then?
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTman10 wrote: As the name implies it's your average speed between them.  So on a section 1  mile long you could do 90 mph for 1/2 a mile then 45 mph for the next half a mile and you would be recorded as doing 67mph, I think.  Too cold here to be sure.
This is the grey bit. I've been told some systems use GPS. So if you speed then break then speed again to get a reading below average they only record motion.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

As RT man says it just times the journey between the two points, GPS is receive only technology. There are varios urban myths about changing lanes and I'm not sure what the current rules are on that.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Like all front facing systems they don't work on  bikes, but.  The A9 has them for over 100 miles and on each pylon on single carriageway bits they point both ways.  I've never been brave enough to test them.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

If they're front facing, I'll set the cruise control to 10% over in the car, 20% over on the bike.

If rear facing, it's 10% over for both.

Speeds taken from speedo on car and satnav on bike. 

I bought a Volkswagen with an expensive satnav to eliminate having to stick anything on the windscreen, only to discover that it doesn't show speed limits, current speed or "safety" cameras !. Never again  - if there's another new car it will be back to looking for a way to use the Navigator V in the car !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Casbar wrote: They work by using an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system to record a vehicle's front number plate at each fixed site. As the distance is known between these sites, the average speed can be calculated by dividing this by the time taken to travel between two points.
Interesting bit is front number plate, how does that work on a bike then?
Have I missed something here?  I'm sure that I've seen average speed cameras that look at the rear of the vehicle.  From memory they were up around Notts or somewhere that way.  Agreed they only used to look at the front, but that wasn't going to last was it :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Permanent ones on motorways are normally mounted on the back of overhead gantries and read your back plate.  In roadworks and on single carriageway roads they are normally forward facing.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I'm sure everybody already knows that they also use the same system in France between Péage's
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You say that but I have never known anybody to get had for checking out on the peage  and being fined for getting there faster than the speed allows.
I'm so sure of this I always pull in to a rest area somewhere between them for a quick rest just to make sure.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

gents, i think you will find they will look at both from and rear when they can afford the cameras to do it. You see people were getting away with it by having different numbers on the front than the back. Well at least drivers of a certain age and sex were in their certain cars.

in the average zone you will often find more than one set of cameras again for the reasons mentioned in other posts

2012 SE
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

stayingupright wrote: I'm sure everybody already knows that they also use the same system in France between Péage's
Wow never even thought of that one. Never been challenged and have been guilty on several occasions. :not speak: